Page: ......
RavingLunaticmember
286 posts

Posted:
Are you against the war in afghanistan, and against war in general?Well, I would like your help. please send an email to agressivepacifist@hotmail.com if you would like to contribute to an antiwar effort.thanks.------------------~whoosh whoosh whoosh~

~whoosh whoosh whoosh~

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
lol!!!Insistant little individual, aren't you? winkSo, what would you like to talk about this week?R.

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
Sorry, probably sounded harsher than it was meant to be...Just a little stumped as to where to begin with this one. Thought it was an interesting point that you made with regards to being assigned overseas being tougher on the partner. I could imagine the worst would be having someone return into your life after a reasonable period of time, full of excitement about some experience you haven't shared, & finding it frustrating & difficult to understand/appreciate.R.

Raymund Phule (Fireproof)Enter a "Title" here:
2,905 posts

Posted:
Rozi, what you said was not harsh at all.Though it pains me to say this all men and women are not faithfull when they are appart.For example...One of the Marines I work with found out that his wife had an affair with his best friend. Well to get back at her he had an affair while over here. Personally I find both of them at fault for the destruction of the marrage but I also feel that they were both way too imature to be married in the first place.War does more than kill people it kills lives as well. Do I still feelt that war is right? Let me put it this way I do not feel that it is wrong. It is inevitable and I feel that it is my place to do everything I can to ensure my way of life contiues.Though I have been excited about some of the things that I have seen I am sure that a person closer to the front lines than I would feel different. Personally I was lucky and saw no death, I didn't have to see my friends get killed right next to me. I am damn sure that that would definatly not be something that I would like to share with anyone.I also find it amazing how quickly peoples minds change about the subject of war. From the end of WWII to the begining of the Vietnam War (I'd say between 25 and 35 years) the American public changed their minds to hate war and to hate military personel, from Vietnam to the Gulf (I would say another 25 to 35 years) the American mind set reverted to being pro war and pro military. Right now I feel that the majority of America agrees with this war and does not harbor any ill feelings twords the men and women fighting this war. (Please note that I said America not the HoP message board!) winkI do think that after we capture/kill (whatever) Osama Bin Ladin that the American government should find a different way to fight the war on terrorisim. I do not see this war being a very cost efective one. Namley the lives that will be lost and millions spent on stupid cold war tactics that have never proven to work. I am sorry but the Russians couldn't win in Afganistan and I doubt that America will do a whole hell of alot better. Personally I think that OBL is too smart to still be in Afganistan. I wouldn't be supprised if he was not even on the same contenent any more.Sorry for the rant.Raymund Phule------------------"Flag of the free heart's hope and home By angel hands to valor given,Thy stars have lit the welkin dome, And all their hues were born in heaven!Forever wave that standard sheet, Where breathes the toe but falls before usWith freedom's soil beneath our feet And freedom's banner streaming o'er us!"Albert J. BeveridgeWAHOO PAGE 8 COMMING TO GET YOU MR. ROLE CALL!!! smile smile smile smile smile smile smile [This message has been edited by Raymund Phule (edited 05 March 2002).]

Some Jarhead last night: "this dumb a$$ thinks hes fireproof"

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
Not much of a rant really!!! winkIt is amazing how cultural attitudes towards war have changed. I have a good family friend who fought in the Vietnam War with the Aussie contingent. The experience itself left him a very scarred man. However what left him more bitter was the response of those around him upon his return. He was rejected, and even spat upon. Yet he had joined up, persuaded by his government and his community, that it was his duty. I cannot condone the behaviour of those who rejected him out of hand at a time when he needed support and needed his community. My personal feeling is that he was duped into believing in the "rightness" of war (others may disagree with me). It has left him a bitter man, who sees prejudice everywhere, but especially in those he calls "do-gooders". He lumps those who seek to support the rights of aborigines, asylum seekers and foreigners into this group, along with many others. He feels that they never moved to protect him and his rights. The unfortunate thing is that by doing this, he misses out on being open to ideas that might change the world, such that what happened to him, would not happen again.On your other points, I believe that if I take the view that war is inevitable, I (& others) will never move to stop it occurring. So I will never believe or say that war is inevitable. Yet at a base level, I understand that the realistic view is that at this time, war can and does happen. Doublethink, but essential if we are ever to move forward.R.

Itsgottabmember
244 posts

Posted:
just in regards to the lastest news on the battle in afahganistan, what sort of coverage was there related to the two helicopters and the us soilders killed, was there any mention of the afahgan soilders killed in the battle?watching bbc world they're pretty critical of the war and what might/will result. they had a former cia man who was based around the area suggesting the puppet govt. would fall in the summer time, when fighting would be more fezzible for the many war lords.further to my above question: it seems to me that the us has been training the locals to help fight the taliban/al queada. but how much training have they had, would they allow american men and women go to war with similar levels of training? as in the first and second ww new zealand troops were often under the command of english men, needless to say we suffered some of the highest casualties per head of population for both wars, basically we were put in all the most dangerous places and given the impossible missions. with the importance for the us govt. to retain public support for this war, what measures will they go to to keep the us body count down, and hush up the number of afahganies dying along side us soilders.

2,905 posts

Posted:
Actually Itsgottab I heard a news cast today about how many al kida have been killed. The report was suprisingly low. Yes there have been more taliban than al kida deaths but the report said there were about 200-300 al kida deaths.If you want to know about impossible missions do a serch on Dan Dailey and Smedley Butler. Those Marines did the original mission impossible.I feel that you are very Anit-America, that CIA trained man was trained to fight against terrorisim not send out men to fly planes into buildings. The US government really doesnt care how many afganies die and they sure as hell care about how many Americans die. Honestly if you had to shell out $250,000 every time one military member dies you would too, not to mention how much money that the Gov. spent to train that individual. I know that for the 8 months that I spent in school (not counting boot camp and MCT another 3 1/2 months) the US Gov. spent over $30,000 on me! Lets say they spent $6,000 on food and utilities not to mention the weapons ammo instructers pay my pay ext.I think that it would be safe to say that the US Gov. gives a pretty big damn on what happens to me and other personnel! It would be a very good thing to keep the US bodycount down. AKA prevent American deaths. Now on that note. The use of the Kiwis in WWII, might have been a result of pregdudise. Did you ever think that the Brittish just didnt like the Kiwi. Or maybe it was because the Kiwi were good fighters. Maybe there is something to their fighting spirit that the Brittish. Just didn't have. Just some possibilites. Maybe you have a little predgudise against Americans, just a thought. Personally I dont know any Kiwis so I doubt I have much predgudies for them.

Itsgottabmember
244 posts

Posted:
ray the cia man was working about ten years ago on one of the borders of afahganstan, he was collecting infomation, you dig. nothing to do with training people of nothing like that. he was commenting on the situation from an itelligence prespective i'm guessing. the us has little accurate itelligence in the area cos they have no agents in there or informates.what i was suggesting in my comments about the current battles going on is, in comparison to the highly train us soilders the local afahgany soilders could be used as 'bullet catches' so to speak, being in the more high risk areas bla de bla bla bla. i want to know how many afahganies dies fighting with the americans.if their are more afahganies dieing for an american war, then these people aren't gonna be so civil towards you in another tens years are they. sure they'll get some training maybe even some nice guns to play with and they start there own milisha when the us pulls out cos either they're no longer welcome or the going gets to tough (to many us soilders die/it gets to expensive) or even the intelligence of the american people shins though and bush and his buddies get kicked out of the white house.we can only hope.against americans no, against stupid people yes. are you stupid ray?

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
In the past, until about the 1950s, the governments fighting the wars positively wanted 'dead heroes'. To fight and die for your country was dressed up to be a great honour. This was because they needed people to join the army, not refuse the draft, and improve morale of soldiers who were very likely about to die.Vietnam changed that. America lost a pointless war which was waged for political reasons, and thousands of people died. The public outcry against the Vietnam war is well known. Once the US was defeated everyone was shocked, the US ego was deflated. Ever since then the US has been trying to exorcise the ghost of Vietnam but fighting 'successful' wars where no US people die.Sorry to be blunt, but soldiers know that there is a good chance they'll die, you could say it's part of the job description. So why, when 9 US soldiers die, is that front page news? They're soldiers fighting, so I'm not surprised they're dead because that's war for you. People die. It's a shame. I'd rather nobody died, not those 9 or any of the thousands who have died in Afghanistan who didn't make headline news. If the US wants to go to war it (it being the government, the populace and the army) have to admit that US troops are going to die. If you don't like that fact then don't fight.The US is trying to get the Afghani military to do most of the ground fighting. The Afghani's are willing to fight a common enemy because when the Taliban and al Qaeda are gone they'll be able to fight amongst themselves over what little is left. The US command probably does regard their lives as cheaper than a Us troops lives. It's nothing to do with money (sorry Ray, in money terms you're cheap) but to do with public in the US's response to troops dying, where as the US public (as a mass) cares little about non-US troops dying.Yesterday, the same day as the troops died, the Israeli military killed a handful of children, and Israelis and Palestinians continued to murder each other, and that's a secondary story in the news! There's a huge memorial in DC to the US troops who died in Vietnam. There's memorials in Vietnam for the Vietnamese who died. I doubt there's any mention of any of the enemy on any war memorials across the world. People judge their fellow citizens' or friends lives more important than foreigners' or strangers lives. This is how it is across the world, and this is why there is so much evil and destruction in the world. Only when we're all perceived as equal members of the human race can we have peace.

tonemanmember
195 posts

Posted:
Good point, Dom.In terms of the cost of a smart bomb, it would be cheaper to just drop troops without parachutes by the 50's wink of course, then you couldn't call them "smart bombs", either....

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
Another issue with this is that western nations are unused to death on a large scale, such that each death of our own becomes significant.If you look at the numbers who die in natural disasters & man-made disasters (eg. train crashes in India & Egypt) in developing nations, and compare it to our own experience, we do not have that much knowledge of death on such a scale. Sept 11 was significant as much for its scale as anything else. Death in numbers never before seen. We have worked hard to try and eliminate disease, and have built structures that stand against nature. Or better still we have selected places to live that are not affected by such conditions. We now have an expectation that we should be able to fight wars with minimum casualties as well. I am of two minds deciding whether this is a good or bad thing. On the one hand, it shows our arrogance and our belief in our own superiority. It may also mean that we continue to develop weapons and defences that are of increasing power, to minimise casualties on our own side. This may cause more conflict as war becomes "cleaner" and "easier" on our own side, and therefore we see less risk in going to war. It also means that we may choose to prevent casualties by only entering into conflicts we feel we can win, not choosing by principles. On the other hand, the wish to avoid casualties, may make us refrain from conflict altogether, life becoming too precious. The public outcry at the death of a few may be enough to stop the deaths of many. Or is that my wishful thinking again?R.[This message has been edited by Rozi (edited 06 March 2002).][This message has been edited by Rozi (edited 06 March 2002).]

2,905 posts

Posted:
Dom, I need to say one thing before I get to the rest of the posts, America did not loose Vietnam, we were the majority force in a coalition of multiple countries. We were the last to pull out there fore we were stuck with the check so to speek.Aboslutly right with the people die thing!I am a dime a dozen but so are the Afganies we are all expendable! Why should it matter who dies and who lives.Actually, there is a war memorial on top of Mt. Surabachi on the island of Iwo Jima. I know this because I was there when I got promoted in December and I saw it.Toneman, should we compare brain pans or would you like to take back your crack on how smart the military is. The only thing you know about the military is, we fight. Yep that is part of it, actually its a rather small part of it. For every 12-15 planes there is 100 or so personell to fix and maintain those planes. Dont forget cooks Admin, intell, embarkation and logistics Docs Armorers Moter T there are 180 give or take 10 or 20 jobs in each branch of the military and only 4 or 5 jobs that actually fight.Rozi, is pretty much right she hit that pretty squarly on the head.I dunno itsgottab am I stupid? If you say that stupid is being willing to die so that others may live as being stupid, then yes I am very stupid. However if you say that stupid is complaining about things that are out of your scope of influence is stupid, in that case I am way the hell smarter than you.I would also like to know how many afganies have died fighting with the US, I would also like to know how many Afganies have died because of weapons left behind by their own individual clan wars. I.E. land mines. More of them die by land mines than enimy fire.

Itsgottabmember
244 posts

Posted:
i like the way you duck and dive around the issuies ray, are you stupid? please remmeber the breathing exercises mommy taught you so you'd stop passing out when ever you got so angery it wasn't only your neck that was red.your forgetting how influential the individual can be, we don't all need to be a members of collectives to influence our world.does it matter who dies, i beleive it does. the reason america has taken this war apoun itself is because it didn't finsih the game last time, but maybe thats the game america likes to play. if america is gonna use the locals in the war against terror, the locals will get get pissed off yeah (the reasons for them joining the war effort are going to far more complex than just wanting to fight the talabain, as are your're reasons for being a marine), so down the road ten years there are going to be a bunch of young pissed of afahganies and others ready to take another pot shot at you (american govt./people)bla bla bla.when are you going on vacation, god let it be soon, i think we might be losing ray, i hope you can find your way back, its getting pretty dark, if you can see a light follow it.

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Ray, the US lost the Vietnam war. This is widely accepted history. There was a southern Vietnam, the US went in to help keep it, and they were beaten back and now there's a unifed Vietnam. That's defeat winkRozi, good points. In Western countries we're a little messed with what gets reported or turned into an issue. In a lot of countries 45 is old age and death through preventable causes is a common aspect of everyday life. If these conditions existed in a Western country they'd be outcry and vast action, but we let them pass in the third world as it's generally considered backward, and that's how life is in the third world.Life should be the same price everywhere: infinitley valuable

cyberpunkgrrlmember
27 posts

Posted:
Sunbeam, you hippy! smileIMHO, if you respond to violence with violence, its gonna escalate outta control until it is in chaos. Is it not better to also think of why someone would take such serious action?Understanding is something the human race is lacking in now-it's a case of 'I'm right, you're wrong, and I'm gonna prove it cos I have a big gun'.ANY violence is wrong.My opinion. Love to all.*s*

Retry
Abort...

Failed!

tonemanmember
195 posts

Posted:
actually, Ray, I was making a pun on the term "smart bomb" It has been proven they're not that "smart"... just a little more effective than dropping something out of the bottom of a plane.By the Way, if you want to talk about injustice, why don't we bring a war crimes tribunal against the military commanders that indescriminately murdered HUNDREDS of THOUSANDS of civillians in Japan?? Sounds like mass murder to me... we are not innocent![This message has been edited by toneman (edited 07 March 2002).]

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
No, we are not innocent, and history will almost always be written by the victor. In war, everyone is able to justify their actions:"this is war, there are no rules" "If we didn't take this action to end the war, more would have died""We have to protect ourselves""If we didn't do it, they would...""We are fighting for the freedom of these oppressed people"The troubling thing is that what motivates people is a mixture of lofty ideals, and base emotions. It is difficult to separate the two, and say for certain where blame should be apportioned. I know this is a wholly unsatisfactory answer, because sometimes we just "know" that something is wrong, without any way of proving our case, or disproving the rationalisations of others. No neat way for justice to be done. All we can do is ensure that we are never a silently complicit part of such an action in the future.So, are we being silently complicit in the deaths of many people in Afghanistan (those fighting and those not)? What crimes of repression and oppression are we “in the west” guilty of, just be leading our lives the way we do?R.

2,905 posts

Posted:
Toneman, I do believe that I owe you an apology, I jumped the gun on that one I am sorry for being rude to you.Also would you be talking about the 2 atomic bombs that fell in Japan? If you are why dont you take a gander at what happend in every single inhabited island Japan took controle of in WWII and dont forget eastern China. The Japanese killed more civilains than the 2 atomic bombs we dropped (almost wrote bongs hehe).I do not know how you do it Itsgottab but you have found it partiuly easy to get under my skin and you do it quite well.I am a redneck and I am damn proud of it. I would rather be a redneck then what ever you claim to be. I do hope that you are not seen as a steriotype for all Kiwis, because if you are then your countrymen are doomed far beyond any American. Not all individuals are influential. To a degree every single person on this board is influential. My proof is in the music, we all have at one time or another listend to music when we spun, we become involved and entranced by it, or should I say influenced.What the hell kinda game do you play that costs lives. Please let me know so I can prevent my future kids from playing. I think that you should take a good look at what war is before you go out calling it a game.I will come right out and say it. I am not stupid. But if you insist on calling names like a 2nd grader... your a stupid doo doo head. I can play that game too!When am I going on vacation? Hey jack ass! I am a Marine 24-7, vacation is just a word in the dictionary. I can take leave but none the less. Whats it to you and why the F do you care about where I go and if I am lost or not? You think that you are all hoyte toyte propper. I bet you are still in high school (or whatever you call it), and you still have mommy to do whatever you need her to do. Try growing up and living out in the real world for a bit. I think its safe to say that you would piss your pants when it came to handleing real life. But your tunnel analagy reminds me of a joke.(Sorry New Yorkers)Why are New Yorkers always so pissed off?Because the light at the end of the tunnel is New Jersey!Back on topic, honestly I had never even herd of the Taliban till all this BS came about. Did I ever think that there would be a war during the 5 years of my enlistment? Heck no I didnt. Well gee wiz why dont we just fight the war for them. Hmm maybe if we send them a bill they will pay it? Ya think. Hell no. They could careless if we die for them or for our own causes. Nobody seems to give a damn about Americans but Americans and even then only a handfull really care enough to do any good for their country the rest just sit at home in the Lazy boy and bitch and moan. Ohh and take the occasional walk around the block with a plaquerd.Dont forget to mention all the yound Americans that are pissed off at the Afganies for supporting someone like the Taliban and the Al Quida for so samn long. I would love to say that there is no predgudise but I cant. Would I blindly trust a person form Afganistan. I wish I could but I couldnt, now if I got to know that person then I would but if we just met off the street I hontstly couldnt.Honestly man I am getting tired of your sarcasim normally we go around the back of the hanger when someone starts to get on our nerves, sometimes its talk sometimes its not.You are several thousand miles away so I guess that just leaves talking... lucky you.Dom your absolutly right life should be infanitly valuable but when was the last time you brought the bum into your should to share tea with him? You can call me a hypocrite because in that instance I am but none the less... you really dont think that all life is valuable otherwise you would not have a nice computer in your house. Nope you would be feeding some familey in Africa right now. And on the topic of that. Brittan has just as many rich people as America why dont they cough up the 2 billion and spend it on world hunger. Why should fixing the worlds problems lie on Americas shoulders?Like Itsgottab said bla bla bla because in reality all we do is talk, there is not one person here that is really willing to give up all they have to help out someone who has nothing. We are all a bunch of rich hypocrits.[This message has been edited by Raymund Phule (edited 08 March 2002).]

Itsgottabmember
244 posts

Posted:
ray its not about giving, its about not taking.if you give, it should be something you don't have to give again, like the proverb about giving a woman some fish and feeding her for a week or teaching her how to fish and feeding her for a life time. it should also be done with good intend, without expecting something in return. are you really giving anything?? like the do gooding christains, they give to get converts, not totally ture but partially. the american govt. is giving assitance to a govt. only because certain things will be given back, i.e. democracy and the free market so american companies can abuse the poor little black people. nothings changed raylean.i ask when you have a vacation so you can chill play with your bong awhile and read some books about your govt. try norm chomsky he has some good ideas. he is a jew but so remmeber the jewish plot to take over the world and everything.take it easy ray, i'll be praying for you tonight. daniel

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Ray, I'm a little offended. I do believe all lie is valuable.The last time I personally bought a bum coffee? It's probably been about a year now. Every month I give money to charity. It varies and I don't count it, but it's probably about $100 a month, and $100 . I could give more it I didn't live in such a nice flat, went out for meals, bought nice clothes or spent sooo much on strippers. I believe that everyone across the world can live an enjoyable life and so I'm giving what I can spare from my life to help someone else.So I know that someone in the third world will eat food I paid for, farm with tools I helped provide and some abused kid in the UK can call a helpline that I helped pay for.And I speak up and act for what I belive in.So I think I'm definitely doing something worthwhile and helping make the world a better place.And I don't have a computer at home.

Wrenmember
33 posts

Posted:
"Honestly man I am getting tired of your sarcasim normally we go around the back of the hanger when someone starts to get on our nerves, sometimes its talk sometimes its not.You are several thousand miles away so I guess that just leaves talking... lucky you."I guess this must be part of you being proud to be a redneck, but do you really think this is a good way for you or anybody else to settle problems? An attitude like this breeds ludicrously unnecessary violence.-------------------Wren"And that, my friends, is condensed evil."

-WrenAnd that, my friends, is condensed evil.

tonemanmember
195 posts

Posted:
No apologies necessary. You call it like you see. Everything is up to interpretation, and message boards are EASILY mis-understood.Violence begets violence. If someone isn't smart enough to forgive rather than troll for revenge, then it will never stop. EVER!Peace man, I hope you remain safe in a dangerous world.____________________________________________..... feed 'em to the christians!!!

2,905 posts

Posted:
Itsgottab, I am going to be nice about this and just ask that you use my name, please don't modify it in any way, I don't shorten your name nor do I add stupid little sufixes to the end. I only ask that you live up to the golden rule that you preach so much on, do unto others...Yep America is out there to abuse black people, damn how in the world did you find out, ohh gee I had better go hide in a hole somewhere I think I might be scared.You of all people know my stands on drugs so I wont go into the bong comment any more. Christians give to get converts? Wow in all my church going years I never once gave a man money so he would believe what I did. I gave money to the church body to carry on its work and power the building keep water going to it, pay the ministers saleries. Not once did I walk up to a guest hand him a 20 and expect him to be saved just like that. I think you have the offering all wrong.Go ahead and pray for me, I need all that I can get. No joke.Dom I wasnt out to offend you or anybody just to raise the point that we do not do all we can for everybody, in a perfect world everybody would be comunist I.E. everybody is equal, equal pay equal oprotunity no raceism just everybody treated equaly. Unfortunatly its not a perfect world and comunisim doesnt work outside of a perfect world and its no secret that demorcacy doesnt work to well either.Wern, basicly what I was saying was that sometimes things need to be settled in an up front manner. Things that happen behind closed doors between two people stay behind closed doors. There are other alternitives like going to a SNCOIC or farther up the chain of command but it is more likely in the best interest of both parties to settle things out at the one on one level. This prevents things going into record books and people getting into real trouble. More offten than not when two Marines go behind closed doors they talk it out and its over, it is rare that they actually start fighting. They need to work as a team to survive and I personally wouldnt want the guy who is supposed to have my back in a fire fight pissed at me.I thank you for your concern but please dont waste time on me, I feel that a path has been set before me and I have no choise but to walk it, that path is God's will and I have no power to even think of changing that. I have no fear.

BEZERKERenthusiast
237 posts

Posted:
Just quickly Ray,It should be every countries responsibility to help solve the third world's issues but for a country that spend over 400 BILLION (!) dollars a year on their military, has been involved in all of the major wars on the planet (either by fighting or providing the weapons), don't you think they could perhaps accept a little more culpability for their role in the world.The states produce so many weapons that then make older ones obsolete. They then sell these off behind the public's back to people they state are enemies and then pretend that it's all cool for them to attack them when they use them for their own purposes. Ray, I respect the decision you've made to serve your country. It's just a shame that the people who pull the strings don't REALLY care about you, your family or peace. I'll say the figure again, over 400 billion dollars a year on making weapons and further building up the military, and that's last year's figure! Imagine what it's going to keep growing to. A trillion dollars? 2 mabye?All that while (as Dom does) a hundered bucks can help some people get healthy food.

2,905 posts

Posted:
Out of curiosity could you tell me where you got your numbers? However you are right I am expendable, I knew that before I signed up. I praise Dom for his contrabutions, I am glad that he does something to help out. Myself what I contribute to is a little different than what he does. I put some of my money every month to helping military familes make ends meet. Right now I have no bills, I dont even own a car so I give some money every month mainly just to places that give a little aid like when someones wife is pregnent and they need help with the bills. I give to the SMP (single marine program) it that program gives single and unacompanied Marines a place to hang out. It really helped me settle in when I first got to my first duty station. Dom's charities may seem more admiral but we are both helping people in different ways.Any you are most definatly right every country should be helping out. America does sell older weapons to other contries, 80% of the world flies our fighters and bombers. also 90% of the world uses our airliners, Only the French and Russians really have anything out there that is not American made.We (America) have a rather large problem with homeless people, people who are starving to death. Personaly (and I know some will want to shoot me for this) I feel that we need to solve our own problems before we try to solve the worlds. I think of it as trying to walk before run, America is the walk around the block and the world is the marathon.Hmm looking at a few numbers we spend $730,000,000 on our two aircraft carryers every year. It costs $1,000,000 a day just to run one of those. I think that the defence of this country is worth the cost. Personally with the size of some of our enimies armies it would be rather easy to attack America. I mean Chinas army is what 3 million members or so. They also have the worlds largest airforce. Think about it, is it worth 400 Billion a year to keep you safe at home or would you rather be seen as second rate trash? That is assumeing that you live in America. I have seen pictures of what the Chinese did to Americans, personally I like being free to live my life how I choose. Dont you? I think 400 billion a year is a rather small price to pay so that I can say whatever I want on the internet. Think about what that $400 billion ensures. Just think of those who have died in the past so that you and I can sit here all nice a cumfy and speek to eachother with out even having to be anywhere near eachother. That is why I serve my country. Because if I didnt who would peaceniks like Dom? (no offence intended Dom just an example) NO they wouldnt they would be going out to protest a govenment that would rather shoot them in the street than one that would actually pretend to listen.Men and women like me risk our lives so that men, women and children can live safe and happy lives. You worry about keeping the people alive by feeding them and I will worry about keeping you alive by being willing to give my life so that you can live.

2,905 posts

Posted:
Either this computer is screwing up or yall not paying attention so...BUMP!!impaitent bugger aint I? wink

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
Have you ever heard of game theory in business? It is based on a few premises, but one of the illustrative examples used is the following scenario:Two criminals, both arrested, separated from one another, are offered a deal. If they both maintain that they are innocent, they will get away with it. If they both admit guilt, they both get sentenced to a long term. However if one admits to being guilty, and also gives the dirt on the other, he will receive a reduced sentence, & the other will go down for a long, long time (check the police show parlance!!).Game theory suggests that neither will trust the other enough to carry on maintaining innocence. So both will confess. And both will serve a long term.It is kinda like the war thing, no one trusts the rest of the world enough to stop themselves, and so we all lose. Mexican standoff. R.

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
Sorry, at work & interrupted, hence abrupt end to previous post. My point is that if both sides were protected by people like Dom, then maybe they would be truly protected...R.

Firefairymember
115 posts

Posted:
Raymund_____________________________________________Think about it, is it worth 400 Billion a year to keep you safe at home or would you rather be seen as second rate trash? _____________________________________________I am thinking about it and I feel that that amount of money PER YEAR would be better spent on peace missions/aid etc.... I dont understand your point about being seen as second rate trash - please explain.I dont believe that any war is fought so that we "can sit here all nice a cumfy and speek to eachother" I believe that wars are fought for economic reasons only, and if we, the people, decide we dont like whats going on - tough. Just curious but, if there was an uprising against the government - would you obey orders and 'police the streets'? Do you believe the army is there to protect your country or your government? I understand that you feel a need to protect your rights and fight for what you belive in but are you really sure that that is what you are doing?Rozi, good point - What we could achieve if we all stood strong and believed in oursleves! Wo/man kind has the ability to love and that is where our greatest power lies.Its great to see how much good 'intent' there is on this board - if we intend hard enough things WILL change.[This message has been edited by Firefairy (edited 12 March 2002).]

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
"400 billion to feel safe at home" - how about thinking why you're not safe at home, and tackling the causes not just arming yourselves to fight off the effects of problems that could have been solved peacefully.Anyway, something more maddening and sickening: The US 'has nuclear hit list'The US is now thinking the unthinkable - the use of nuclear weapons "in the event of surprising military developments". Nice open statement.Every intelligent person in the world knows what nuclear war leads to. A cascade of attacks and counter attacks each killing millions, rendering the majority of the planet uninhabitable.However Bush thinks they're ok to use and wants smaller versions for 'battlefield' use. Although the term battlefield is defunct these days when you're bombing from afar.As a peacenik it's hard to think about murder sometimes, but how else can an insane fool with ultimate power like Bush be stopped?

Firefairymember
115 posts

Posted:
Thats pretty damn freaky. Even the 'small scale' (ha) nuclear bombs would have such tremendous repercussions - doesnt Bush realise that this would not only effect the country he's boming but the whole rest of the world - even the good ol US of A!I never put much weight into the end of the world theories - but heh 2012 here we come.

Page: ......

HOP Newsletter