PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
So, I have an 8 year old son. He is very aware of what goes on around him and will internalize things unless it really bothers him. Because the media is covering the war to death I decided to approach him about it. First I wanted to share how I explained the war to him, and see what you all think and then I want you to hear what he had to say. I found it tremendous from such a young child.

I explained what was going on, because he asked about that "Sad-guy" (meaning Saddam), in these terms.
The world is like a giant playground. And just like playground sometimes have bullies who want all the kids to play thier way, or who like to run around and push other kids down...well, some people in the world feel that Saddam is like the playground bully. Just like on the playground when you stand up to the bully there is usually a fight and the bully goes away, that is what is happening now. A few countries are standing up to this bully.

Now, I know the US could be concidered the bully as well, but no need to confuse the child AND since this is what the media is reporting...
I also told him I think the war is wrong but I support the soldiers doing thier jobs.

So, then I asked him what he thought of war.
His answer..

"Well, I like it cuz it has the planes and tanks and army men and that's cool. But I don't like it cuz people die. People fight because they don't understand each other and don't want to listen. That is bad."

It brought a tear to my eye.

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

plantgirlllmember
150 posts

Posted:
I wonder how many of the decision makers in this whole deal sit down with the children in their own families & take on board their thoughts???

An issue from all of this that is affecting my eldest son who is 10 pesonally, is in regard to a school trip next week. They are visitng Canberra, our capital, for 4 days. Part of the trip included, until recently, a visit to Parliament House. Even though it's still open to the public, a few parents have told the kids they might get bombed by terrorists if they go there. Now, kids being kids, have made 1 and 1 add up to 3 & many are too scared to go on the trip at all. What do you say to them? Being a parent is so hard!!!!

People take different roads seeking fulfillment & happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost.-H. Jackson Browne

Raymund Phule (Fireproof)Enter a "Title" here:
2,905 posts

Posted:
I wonder how many more people sit down with their children and teach them to hate someone else.

Some Jarhead last night: "this dumb a$$ thinks hes fireproof"

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Scuse me? Are you telling me I am teaching my son to hate? Or are you making a comparitive statement?
I am hoping I am misreading what you are saying and am seriously refraining further comments until I understand the comment better Ray.

Noah does not hate Saddam, in fact, he does not hate playground bullies either. He says he feels bad for them not knowing how to make friends.
My child does not know hate because we do not surround him with it nor give him cause to feel it.

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
Sorry to leap in, am not actually doing the protective girlfriend bit and just popped down here to read this cos it had an interesting title.

I don't know for sure cos I haven't asked him, but I don't think Ray is saying that you are teaching your son to hate, I don't think anyone could read your post and get that from it. What I do think he was saying was whilst there are parents in the world that don't, he wonders how many parents do pass their hatreds on to the next generation.

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

2,905 posts

Posted:
NO no... Pele, you should know me better than that.

Look at the fude between the Israiles and the Palistines(or however you plualise that word). Their children hate eachother and they dont even know why. How about the ethnic cleansing that happens in some African countries, or Europian.

Look at movies from the 70's and early 80's... I remember one line from a movie I dont remember the title but the line went something like...

I hear that in America they shoot communists in the street.
I'm from Detroit, they shoot everyone in the streets!

I mean children around the world are tought to hate others, it is sad, pathetic, petty bull shit!

Pele, you have avoided at all costs teaching your son something that other parents teach their kids from a very early age, and that is hate!

That is what scares me.

jim bombadilmember
142 posts

Posted:
You didn't really tell him the truth though did you. Saddam could hardly be seen as a global bully by any stretch of the imagination. I've seen reports about how babies pick up on the 'war climate' It effects the whole world like a depression how can anyone feel happy or free whilst people are being slautered? Hopefully one day our kids will learn to live within their means and stop needing war.

2,905 posts

Posted:
Jim, people are slaughterd year round, ask NYC how many days a week there is a murder reported in New York. The sad thing is, is that is only one city!

I agree though, how can anyone be truly happy when such attrocities are happening.

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
Kids are taught to hate everywheres. Look at gang violence. Those kids are told to hate each other non stop. The message isn't comeing from their parents but it is being delivered and it's being taken seriously by the kids because their parents aren't giving the kids a stronger message to default to.

plantgirlllmember
150 posts

Posted:
I don't know that some kids are necessarily taught specifically about hate, I think they're just not taught about love .

People take different roads seeking fulfillment & happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost.-H. Jackson Browne

2,905 posts

Posted:
You know, in my experience, there are many different types of love, but only one type of hate.

Hi my pants are on firemember
26 posts

Posted:
YEY ! soldiers!! go kill kill kill huh???

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Hi my pants are on fire:
YEY ! soldiers!! go kill kill kill huh???
?? ??

please elaborate on meaning and intention of your post

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...