jim bombadilmember
142 posts

Posted:
Just a plea to anyone who is against this war, don't let it happen, Strike if possible, phone sick if you can, get out there and realise our power you are free you can make a difference.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
It won't do any good, Jim. The whole U.S. could phone in sick tomorrow and we'd still go to war. As long as the military doesn't all phone in sick.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
Unfortunately we are all part of this war. We are part of it because we have not found another solution, or a point of negotiation with our governments.

I have thought this through completely yet, but I have been thinking a great deal about the effectiveness of protesting. Don't get me wrong, I think protesting has its place. It is attention-grabbing and shows the will of the people. However protesting alone will not stop someone taking a course of action. You have to provide them with another course of action that will fulfill what needs to be done. And we honestly have not done that.

We have said to the government in clear terms what we don't want them to do. However we have not said in clear enough terms what we do want them to do.

Can you formulate a simple sentence that says what you do want the government to do? And it has to be an active not inactive thing. I am honestly having difficulty, and I need to go away and think about it.

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

Dr.NoodleHeadBRONZE Member
170 posts

Posted:
I think it's sad that the majority of the UK doesn't want to go to war and yet Blair can decide for us....I thought he was supposed to represent us not decide for us...

Guess I'm just hopelessly naive and disillusioned..

Noods

Fish are just like trees except they move and they're invisible

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
What's the story with Parliament voting 400-100 in favor of war today? I don't get it. I thought a few weeks ago 255 MP's stood up and told Blair to shut up and sit down.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
Im not sure what happened in parliment. I watched a lot of the house of commons in streaming video and there was some pretty hot and persuasive debates going either way.

You gotta love the british house of parliment. It's 10X's as animated as the house of congress and 5X as animated as the canadian parliment.

PS-The biggest thing that is bothering me about this whole war with iraq is the people who are saying that blair and bush are doing the right thing and sometimes that doesn't involve doing the most popular thing (To sane people the most popular thing is known as representing the people)

I can see in bush's world where there is a minority of people agaisnt the war but I get the distinct feeling in britain the minority are for the war (atleast for a war without UN support)
When did people have this big change of heart and decide dictatorships are greater then democracy?

[ 19. March 2003, 15:31: Message edited by: Astar ]

DaiTenshimember
104 posts

Posted:
That's kinda funny Astar.... considering that the plan is to destroy a dictatorship the likes of which you are no where near living in.

Less of course that "When did people have this big change of heart and decide dictatorships are greater then democracy" was kind of saying "when did people stop supporting their own governments and go out of their way to protect a despotiic regime" kinda thing.... which I doubt.

Anywho, yeah protests aren't getting anywhere.

Lots of talk about "find another way" and none of these supposedly bright people even remotly bothering to find "another way".

Inspections did not work, they were given a chance years ago. It is not the inspectors' jobs to go looking for weapons it is to be shown the weapons and then inspect them.

Hussein has zero respect for the UN, US, UK, Japan, and/or the rest of the world. Fin a peaceful way to deal with a man like that that will work and you may just have something.

No one knows me like I do.

jim bombadilmember
142 posts

Posted:
What I want our goverments to do in one sentence. Not hard Don't attack Iraq. Relinquish centralised control Allow power to move to local comunities who will and could not wage world wars. Walking out of work may not stop the bloodshed in the next 48 hours but it will weaken our governments and lessen the chance of Bush moving on to pre emptive attacks on other nations once this is done (You don't think this is going to happen?). Don't be powerless, don't be part of the war machine.

DaiTenshimember
104 posts

Posted:
Funniest part; that was no where near one sentence.

No one knows me like I do.

pr!m@temember
78 posts

Posted:
Bah-lerks to it.

Don't get sucked into the politics. That's what THEY want.

PS It's not a REAL thread until C@nutus Fraglianus has said summat.

ook ook!

pr!m@te

Pele'sWhippingBoymember
442 posts

Posted:
I listened to a great radio interview between an anti-war supporter and a Iraqi immigrant.

Komo1000 News

FYI: I am not Pele. If you wish to reply to me and use a short version of my name, use: PWB.

English? Who needs that? I'm never going to England. - Homer Jay Simpson

DecaturSILVER Member
6 posts

Posted:
I would encourage everyone to read my post in Less than 48 hrs...

Thank you
-M@TT

thisboysetsfiremember
45 posts

Posted:
democracy doesnt work, the people are supposed to count, bullshit did they this time (please excuse my language but i feel very strongly about this, i have done walkouts in school, and stood up in many protests where i can)

FIGHT WAR NOT WARS

Mike Buggins

lord endermember
6 posts

Posted:
If democracy doesn't work then how do you explain the fact that we have a stabel functioning society right now. Democracy does work, maybe not perfectly or how we think it should sometimes but it does work. The fact is no government system works perfactly but untill we find one that works better im afraid democracy will continue to be used. Oh and please don't give me any of that anarchist crap, that is the one thing that has proven to be a very bad idea.

Violence is the last resort of the incompetent. Doesn't mean it's not damn effective sometimes.

PrometheusDiamond In The Rough
459 posts

Posted:
I think we stopped being a democracy a while ago.

We're more like a dictatorship that gets to choose their own dictator through multiple choice

Dance like it hurts; Love like you need money; Work like someone is watching.

Never criticize someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes. That way, when you DO criticize them, you are a mile away, and you have their shoes.

lord endermember
6 posts

Posted:
Dictator man we are very far from a dictator, but you do have a good point about the multiple choice issue. It's a real problem that there are really only 2 people with a chance to win the presidency. What i feel is a bigger problem is that most americans don't even care any more. Only about 50% of the population votes and most of those are the "Moral Majority".
But you right that here in the states we elect our president on basically a multiple choice ballot that some times doesn't even reflect how the majority of the population feels.

Violence is the last resort of the incompetent. Doesn't mean it's not damn effective sometimes.