Forums > Social Chat > Spin OFF you wicks, Excess fuel BAD

Login/Join to Participate

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
If you don't spin off the excess fuel on you wicks, you risk getting a nasty burn (like the one I have on my back right now). Some sort of cruel trick of fate I guess, the ONE time I don't spin off my wicks I wacked myself in the back and my skin got a nice 2nd degree burn the size of a silver dollar. So, Please spin those wicks off before you start. I was just spinning along, mindng my own bussiness, when i noticed that i was on fire frown (the hit from the wick had left fuel on my back, BAD BAD BAD) and it didn't go out quickly, so I dropped on of my poi and started slapping the fire, too late though...I got a nice "leaking" burn on my back, I'll will always spin them out after this little mistake...

we eat and we drink and we smoke and we try!

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
Oh, and at least I don't have to worry about the blister breaking, I think slaping out the fire did that for me, ....well, look on the bright side , at least flame sterilizes...right?

Pele'sWhippingBoymember
442 posts

Posted:
You're kidding right? You really did this? After countless people have claimed to get burned from this. After countless times people on this board have said "spin off your wicks."I'm known on here for not being the most politically correct. But at least I'm not known for "the one time I didn't feel like doing the standard procedure I got burned" story.Sorry for sounding rude, but your post makes it sound like we've never heard this before.Did your safety attempt to help? Why didn't they recommened you spin off the fuel?Minding your own business? You make it sound like the poi attacked you.I'd like to think that you posted this to serve as a warning. But it won't work. YOU are proof of my pessimism. Because you got burned that's proof enough that the warnings here and the stories here do not help others. I feel horrible saying this, but it's mostly as a counter to you.Instead I think you posted this as proof of the "hazing by fire" that some people subscribe too. I'm sorry to say but it makes you look inept and irresponsible as a spinner.------------------"Except for that Mrs. Lincoln, How did you like the play?"Pyromorph - Let the fire change you

FYI: I am not Pele. If you wish to reply to me and use a short version of my name, use: PWB.

English? Who needs that? I'm never going to England. - Homer Jay Simpson

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Listen, Don't be so hard on the person. It was their option to post here. I'm sure they are not proud of what has happened they are mearly attempting to educate others. Sure it has been posted here before but everyone hasn't read ALL of the past posts. Some of us only read the current topics. Spinning off your poi is a good idea which needs reiteration as many times as people feel like posting about it. Don't knock santanatwo for posting this warning.Also, Your post, Pele, shows signs of obvious lack of literacy- No where in santanatwo's post did he make it sound like the poi attacked him. In fact he said "_I_ wacked _myself_ in the back..." Your beligerant self rightious attitude is neither constuctive nor informative in any way. Why include cynicism? Does it make you feel good? Next time before you criticize stop and think if you are trying to accomplish anything productive rather than venting your self because you are angry at the world. Your post neither gives support nor constructive criticism.I hope the next time you injure yourself people are as compassionate towards you as you are to others.

Pele'sWhippingBoymember
442 posts

Posted:
1) I am NOT Pele. Pele is a girl. I am a guy. Pele's login name is Pele. Mine is Pele'sWhippingBoy. A short version of my name is PWB. If I'm called Pele then it confuses and aims comments in the wrong direction.2) I should apologise to santanatwo. It was very brave of him to suck up his pride and post about his error here. I commend you for that. I still maintain that a safety error of this type shouldn't have happened. There are times we're hurt by this when it's out of our control. Wind shift, someone next to you not paying attention, etc. However, this we a standard safety procedure that should be done every time. santanatwo, I hope you're okay and heal quickly.I urge everyone to read the archives. There is a year's worth of posts in here and most have valuable information.------------------"Except for that Mrs. Lincoln, How did you like the play?"Pyromorph - Let the fire change you

FYI: I am not Pele. If you wish to reply to me and use a short version of my name, use: PWB.

English? Who needs that? I'm never going to England. - Homer Jay Simpson

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
So, yup...Sanatanatwo...you had to know me, being the safety Nazi, and I know I prolly take it further than most, had to come in on this one.(oh and McNeany...I am Pele, not PWB.)Where the hell was your safety? And if you didn't have one can we also use this as an example of why they are important?I appreciate your sharing the story but PWB is right on two accounts (though I am thanking him for toning down a bit and encourage him to do so *before* he posts in the future!)...1) You aren't new at this at all. You know how paramount safety is. Which is why I am left wondering what spurned you to try this without spinning off or at least dabbing (hitting them on the cement once they are lit to leave puddles of fire)? 2) You really did make it sounds as if the poi attacked you when you said "you were minding your own business"...though I appreciate the feeling (I swear mine have acted like octopi and attacked me too! smile)...not that it matters anyway.I do hope you are alright. You should have someone put aloe on that for you, and I hope you remembered to flush it with cold water.Remember to keep it covered under your clothes and to walk around shirtless as much as you can to allow air to it (I know, cold in these oncoming winter temps).My best to you for no future injuries Santanatwo....You know I love ya! wink------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com[This message has been edited by Pele (edited 03 November 2001).]

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
yea, It was preaty stupid of me, I never realy got burned like this before, of course I never wacked myself with "unspun poi" befor either. Life is a learning experience. As long as I have been spinning (10 months) I realy should have known better (hey, at least we aren't using the flaming cans of gasoline anymore!!!). Luckily all of my learning experiences so far have been "non-fatal" but I sure-as-heck am not going to try this one again. It could have been alot worse..and you know what they say "what doesn't kill you, makes you trip"I did have a safety, he was already in motion to put out the fire on my bare back, but I dropped a poi and slapped it out before he completed his reaction. So for anybody who doesn't know....spin off your excess fuel...or suffer the consequences for your lack of preventative safety measures!Thanks for the kind words, Pele. You know I got nuthin but Love, too winkPeace

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Will the real Pele please stand up.Sorry couldn't resist...Oh and the poi thing. I keep saying but everyone ignores me. They try to kill shocked me. They've done it 4 times now. I'm gonna bury them next time they try it.------------------C@ntus

Meh

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Pele, (I'm includeing PWB in this conversation but I don't quite have the comfort level to speak as frankly since I don't know you as well, please take with a grain of salt.) All to often I see you taking the fall for short comings of the fire twirling community in general. If some knucklehead in Wisconson wants to dump a bucket of gasoline on a pillow and light it, it doesn't HAVE to reflect badly on firetwirlers worldwide.It is our responisibility to portray ourselves in the best possible light as individuals. As long as you can go into in interview and show a client the safety precautions that you take and the record you should be able to impress them.IF you feel that others behavior IS contributing to a negative portrail of the fire spinning community, then this is the PERFECT forum to address that.Also, realize that if you're going to endorse someone else using the name "Pele" in their screen name, you might be held accountable for their actions and words.My bluntness is out of the utmost respect for you, my friend.Your fan,NYC

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
NYC...I know all that silly! I never said it made us all look bad, not like when some idiot gets 3rd degree burns all over his body on public tv, we have no control over that. We all agree. It is a good moralistic lesson and I am glad he posted it. I just wanted to know why someome with his obvious intelligence would take such a risk is all.I go into my interviews very confident in my safety protocal, and also knowing that I probably take it too far, if that is possible with safety.*sigh*I didn't really see it as taking the fall for anyone,and it wouldn't be the case if people learned to read properly rolleyes as much as being concerned for a friend. And feel free to flog PWB whenever you want. I'll share with everyone! smileNot to leave you out...you know I love you too buh-dee!------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele

Mystaddict
439 posts

Posted:
Pele, you have your opinions but did you ever think that you just talk TOO MUCH. As I read posts, I find myself only glimpsing over yours due to comments I don't like and length. At least when someone doesn't want to read a post of mine there's not much to skip over. Now about the subject, People make mistakes but as long as we learn from our OWN mistakes, no one should give us shit for it.Eric

Its about talent, not make up or costumes.

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Is it Pick on Pele Week? Did i miss the Adverts or something?I do so wish people would tell me when stuff like this is happening....------------------C@ntus

Meh

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
It is good to learn from your own mistakes. Unfortunatly to many people (like me) don't always learn from other people's mistakes as well. That is why we have history classes, and language and writing, ...so we don't have to keep making the same mistakes over and over again.

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
I thought we had writing so we could remember our grocery lists better....------------------C@ntus

Meh

Mystaddict
439 posts

Posted:
Ok Pele, That's smart of you to erase your first post to make it look as if I'm attacking you for nothing. I was on subject at the end of my message when I said you shouldn't get on his back for not spinning off. It was his mistake and he's learned from it. I liked reading about someone else f-ing up, I'm used to doing it myself and It's cool to hear that I'm not alone. Thanks for the e mail but I think this should be on the board**It has come to my attention that the moderators and Malcolm have been informed that I haven't been saying things appropriate to princess pele, and therefore I must stop speaking unless she permits me** I refuse to be quite when someone is talking down on someone else. If you don't like it KICK ME OFF. So far pele, you're the only one I have a problem with and it's not cause you're a moderator. I like flash, she's awesome, Malcolm always has something informative to say, and charles, I just don't know him. It's cause you act like you're above everyone. Hell, that's my opinion, shouldn't bother you one bit. <<>>. You're good at that .

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Well I'm politely bowing out of this one... I certainly had no intent of picking on Pele and didn't intend to initiate or propigate any negative posts.I'm going to bed, g'nite.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Myst,I have no idea what the hell you are talking about. I am not above anyone, in fact I have many times bowed out of things because of being far from the top and anyone here who has met me or talked with me knows this.Secondly, nothing in this thread was deleted. Every message is here. I think you may have gotten two threads mixed up or something. Even PWB's aggressive thread is still on here and yours attacking me. Don't you think if I was going to delete anything it would be those? Don't you think I would delete those first instead of mine, especially if I am such an egomaniac? I may move threads around to their appropriate sections but I don't delete things arbitrarily, sorry to disappoint you. I never complained about what you say to me directly, the mods have been discussing the overall negativity that is infecting the boards, your timing on this thread happened to serve as an example. Sorry if you don't like it. I never said you shouldn't talk or voice your opinion, if I have to I will post that email on here to prove it. I didn't put this in the email but will say it here, again, I think you read only what you want into things...like this thread. If Santanatwo didn't have a problem with what I said, then really why should you since it was directed at him?I am sorry if I don't stroke your ego sufficiently or kiss your ass, but I don't do that for anyone. You say you don't care what anyone on here thinks of you anyway, and that no one on here is really all that consequential to you, being just an online bb and all, so why then are you wasting so much effort on me?I think it is sweet Myst. Thank you for the compliment. I mean if you didn't think of me in some fashion, why then would you put all this energy into dissing me online to a bunch of people who don't know me? It's nice to be thought of. smile ------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
PS....NYC, this had nothing to do with you sweetie. Myst has had it out for me for a few months now and was simply looking for an out. No biggie.I just had a thought, Santanatwo....you don't sleep on your back do you? shockedMuch love guys------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com[This message has been edited by Pele (edited 04 November 2001).]

Pele

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Ok...here we go here we go here we go... (the song of a sword from some book i read once, it used to sing this before it went into battle).I'm amazed. Truly. I thought of all the people here who would start getting agressive with each other, it would be me and some old-school peep not people like Pele and Myst.I'm not going to back up anyone or be on "the otherside" with anyone. However, my posts are on average the longest out of everyone here. I feel Pele writes longish posts because she does have a lot of experience and knowledge.Myst, however, also has a lot of experience and knowledge, but it seems the two have different writing styles and reading styles making BB interaction likely to flare up easily.This is what happens in every family, social club, workplace and anywhere else where people gather.My hope is that Eric has just had a bad day (as we all do) and will continue to contribute to the board as usual. Love to all...------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggling.co.nz

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
Yea, I sleep on my back...that isn't the worst part though. I have to sit in chairs a lot in class, driving my truck, etc. And that darn plasma keeps leaking through and making my shirt stick to my back, then I have to peel it off. But even that is not the worst part. I REALLY need a back massage right now (like REALLY bad, cause I got allot of new muscle developing from all the BTB moves I have been learning lately) and I can't give myself a back massage (using a doorway, or the edge of a wall, or other vertical, stationary object) without making the burn wound worse.

Mystaddict
439 posts

Posted:
I'm sorry Pele, It's not you I was mad at, reading over again, It's your man, the whipping boy. That's odd that I'm not the only one that saw that as you. When Malcolm said you didn't erase anything, I read over again and again looking for where your post had gone and then I read the whipping boys post and nearly fell out of my chair. Imberassing, but It's over anyway. pele, I'm sorry about that.Eric

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Thanks Myst. I appreciate the apology and know how humbling it can be. It was big of you. Sorry if I came down on you hard. And for the record, this past weekend I talked with PWB about toning things down **before** he posts.Santanatwo, to stop that whole stick to the shirt thing, you might want to cover the burn with medical gauze and sports tape, or I think Band-aide brand has really large patch bandages with out the plastic coating. It will help keep them from healing into your clothes but still allow ai to it to keep it dried out. Have you tried a hot bath or having someone rub warm oil into your muscles? They can avoid the burn..though I really would give anything to watch you scratch on a door jam like a bear on a tree...it is always funny to see people do that! winkHappy recovery!------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Myst - Now I understand, it seems we've had a classic "Three's Company" misundertsanding that all gets resolved in the end.I'll make a few excuses for Whipping Boy, as my partner is also very concerned and worried about a lot of what I do. I think it was his worry for Pele, surfacing at the wrong time and the wrong place, combined with the name confusion that began all of this.No-one has strong feelings about things without reason, and as a non-firie, Whipping Boy is probably more realistic about the dangers we expose ourselves too.No matter how many times we've done things safely, it only takes that once for someone to die or get horribly disfigured, so when its someone you care about doing these things, I know the emotions can get undertsandably high. And rightly so too.Perhaps you'd like to edit your message talking about the deleted post, as I'm worried that another misunderstanding might happen between a reader and yourself.It's your choice, I'll leave it up to you.And welcome back to happy HoP family. I missed you... wink------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggling.co.nz

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?