LaavelBRONZE Member
21 posts

Posted:
hey, i just joined HOP today ^^. im a beginner poi-er, and want to know if anyone wants to give me pointers and such. I've been doing poi for...about a month now, and i the tricks i know are 2 beat weave, butterfly, cross-overs and am learning the 3 beat weave, thread the needle, and buzz saw

Where has my heart gone, trapped in the eyes of a stanger

pounceSILVER Member
All the neurotic makings of America's lesser known sweetheart
9,831 posts

Posted:
check out the technical moves discussion....it should help

I was always scared with my mother's obsession with the good scissors. It made me wonder if there were evil scissors lurking in the house somewhere.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

**giggles**

LaavelBRONZE Member
21 posts

Posted:
hm, yes, but im very messed up when it comes to teaching me. see, im right handed, but my mind likes to think im left handed, so like, butterfly for example, my arms are reverse. and when im learning weav, people try to tell me the over under out method, and i just does not help me >.<

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
tips for begginers eh?

persevere,

get bean-bag poi,

for the 3 beat weave, practice with a stick, hold it with both hands and try and find the motion.

have fun!

I think that covers it, come back in a month and ask us how to do the btb weave!

T

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

LaavelBRONZE Member
21 posts

Posted:
i have the motion for 3beat weave, had it when we were all poi-ing on sunday for a sec, but lost it. i already have bean bag poi too, i like them better than tennis balls personally. my goal is to get 3 beat and thread the needle, cause i can do that for a few "stabs", but then end up messing up, oh well, trial and error

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
Welcome and keep practicing heaps. It may all come.

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

EeraBRONZE Member
old hand
1,107 posts

Posted:
Practice, practice, practice.

There is no panacea for easy learning. If there was everyone would be doing it and we wouldn't feel special.

Don't think about it too much, the moves feel natural when you do them right, and if they're back to front, so what?

I'm also right handed, but do one handed moves in my left hand, it's never been a handicap.

There is a slight possibility that I am not actually right all of the time.

Dirty Marmite SpiderClimbing up my leg
141 posts

Posted:
I think sock poi are even better than bean bags IMHO. Made learmimg stuff twice as easy and have learnt 10 times as much since I started using them than when I had tennis balls.

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
I find that spinning/practising with my eyes shut help me learn new tricks an awful lot quicker. It seems my brain automatically kinda knows where the poi are and you spend less time trying to watch them and more doing whats right.ie.not tangling them up!

Hope you enjoy your steep learning curve!

Let's relight this forum ubblove