Forums > Help! > Help me I'm new and I don't know squit!

Login/Join to Participate

caz86Twister Fire Starter ridin on a tratter
156 posts

Posted:
I'm looking at starting to poi. Cus it sounds fun. I've got a home made version and can do some basic stuff.
I'm kinda skint at the mo. but what do you'z think I should buy to start off with? Is it worth getting a fire poi and just not lighting it until I'm really good or do I need to get a basic poi first?

More over, how long does it usually take before people light up and get some flesh cooking

Thanx Caz x

Caz

Mistress AuroraHot Schtuff
1,032 posts

Posted:
I think tennis balls on dog chains is the way to go. That is what I first learned on and still practice with. It is cheaper than spending alot on fire poi that you won't be using yet.

I started poiing October of '02 and then used fire in January of '03. It takes alot of hard practice before you light up. You have to feel comfortable enough to use fire. My fire troupe makes us test before we light our wicks for the first time. We have to twirl for a bit w/o hitting ourselves and do most of the basics. When you feel it is time to light up make sure you always have a safety person standing by with a wet towel just in case something goes wrong.

But whatever you do... Don't buy beamers!!!! Unless of course you would like one but not all of the following injuries:
1)Broken nose
2)Busted lip
3)Black eye or eyes
4)Concusion

Hope that helps
Happy

RISK: Do not follow the common path; Go where there is no path and leave a trail.

NoveSILVER Member
Unremarkable
277 posts

Posted:
I agree to both:
Unless you enjoy being in pain, don't buy beamers. They don't result immediately in the above injuries (I've had mine for a while now and haven't had any of 'em) but in some pretty horrific bruises until you learn to duck.
And tennis balls are definitely the way to go. Nice 'n soft.

"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
Depends on how much you like the smell of burning hair. Kidding.

Depends on your confidence and I agree wholeheartedly with Mistress Aurora with the wet towel safety person. Strongly suggest you DO have a spotter. In summer here we often run a hose nearby as well. So far we have had only one firepoi into the hair but it really put the wind up Lys and so we are the beanie brigade. I have waist length hair and like it that way.

You can do really safe basic stuff with them on fire to enjoy the noise and feel. Maybe once you have practiced heaps with them unlit and are happy with how much you arent hitting yourself take it from there.

My first poi were out of old towels, wire and chain and were fairly cheap to make and there are sites on line with instructions.

The HoP firepoi come with a safety spiel and are very nice....christmas is coming if you are still keen then ask the fam for a set.

Good luck and take care

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Mistress Aurora:
But whatever you do... Don't buy beamers!!!! Unless of course you would like one but not all of the following injuries:
1)Broken nose
2)Busted lip
3)Black eye or eyes
4)Concusion

Hope that helps
Happy

not to mention severe trauma of the nether regions!

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
incidently, what precisely is squit?

Lasa'nta Dubh Mac Tiremember
51 posts

Posted:
Hoo ha!yea.. anyway. just had to add abit, i like useing balled up sockes.. they don't hurt and they don't bounce then i tryed tennis balls and tryed the butterfly i always hit myself there it counted. ~.~ makes ya think about giving up on the... i think i was at 70? befire i went to socks. either i'm determend or just dumb or maybe it's cuz i'm left handed hmmm. and with fire. i didn't take long at all..., like a month. but i make sure i have the move down befire i light and try it.

Nothing goes through the Lunitics dark mind... By his own Decaying HeartI love the little tacos... I love them goood G.i.rI'm gunna roll around on the floor for abit k? G.i.r

XanathBRONZE Member
67 posts

Posted:
beamers will give you 6 stiches in your face if your not careful or in my case having to long of chains and wrapping them.

Power percieved is power achieved.

caz86Twister Fire Starter ridin on a tratter
156 posts

Posted:
Thanx you guys you've been a great help! Oh and I haven't got a clue what squit it but I heard some1 else say it and it sounded cool!

Thanx again
Caz x

Caz

Foraumember
81 posts

Posted:
But, can you practice good with non-lit fire poi?
Squit is just a slang.

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
practise with socks with sutible soft weight material in one end and a knot in the other
simple but the best.

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
quote:
Squit is just a slang.
for what

it is the younger brother of 'squat'

Foraumember
81 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Dentrassi:
quote:
Squit is just a slang.
for what

it is the younger brother of 'squat'

Well, I guess it is someone who has heared of the two things:
I dont know squat.
It costs you ten quid.
And try's to combine them?

I dont know squid?
Costs you ten quad?

And I leave the fish open.

KristieEBmember
108 posts

Posted:
i like practicing with my fire poi ... with the ends protected by socks. that way i don't have to adjust to something different for when i spin fire.

i spun fire after two weeks ... see my intro thread for an account if you like. waiting until you are really good kinda builds up this mystique and makes the fire even more intimidating. i am glad i followed this course. but of COURSE have a safety nearby to put you out