Forums > Help! > Butterfly Weave / Wrap?

Login/Join to Participate

GottaLoveItSponge
883 posts

Posted:
So is butterfly weave and wrap the same? or are wraps more complicated? or weaves? And how do I know which one I'm doing?
Mary

Monkeys monkeys and bananas

EeraBRONZE Member
old hand
1,107 posts

Posted:
You know when you bring your poi too close and they end up tangled around bits of your body? Those are wraps, except you try and do them under control and keep the poi moving. There are good descriptions of the various things you can wrap in the free lessions bit.

There is a slight possibility that I am not actually right all of the time.

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
A butterfly weave'd take ages to explain I suggest you do a search and you'll find loads of descriptions.

A butterfly wrap, would I presume be doing a wrap from a butterfly , ie reversing the direction of one of your poi off a body part and going in to a follow time move like a weave...

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

GottaLoveItSponge
883 posts

Posted:
I figured it out; I can do butterfly weave but it doesn't feel or look like one because it's not smooth yet. Wraps sound fun but difficult, I'll wait till I get a teacher for them thanks!
Mary

Monkeys monkeys and bananas

DeimosBRONZE Member
Cinnamon Girl
191 posts

Posted:
Wraps really aren't hard at all, and don't really need to be taught. If I want my poi to spin opposite directions (for example, if I want to so butterfly weave ^-^) then I just move one poi closer to my body (while spinning forward) and let it wrap around, and basically hit my leg. This was the first wrap move I tried out and if done properly then the momentum should make the poi pretty much unwrap itself so you're automatically spinning in the other direction. There are tonnes of wraps, from simple ones like the one above to crazy hard one around your neck and stuff. As long as you're not lit up, learning wraps should be a sinch.
the butterfly weave, however, is a lot more difficult (IMHO).
Cheers!

P*L*U*R