GeckoXBRONZE Member
18 posts

Posted:
I would just like to say that a couple of the pages in the home of poi lessons section are of no use whatsoever.

For the alternate butterfly combination and the behind the back weave, I found that neither of these were useful. Seeing someone doing the finished move does not help me to break it down. I had to figure these two moves out by my own convoluted method. For instance, the page that shows you how to do the basic forwards weave breaks it down into several parts.

That page is here: https://www.homeofpoi.com/theweave.htm

It shows the move with one hand, and then it shows the finished product. This cut my learning time in half. Whereas when you get to the alternate butterfly combination, all you are seeing is the finished combination.

The BTB weave and turn lesson is even worse. I recommend a revamping of these particular pages to show the steps leading up to a move instead of just providing wording (which doesn't always illustrate the point) and then the finished move being demonstrated at the side.

Thanks.

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
I have to agree, the btb turning is useless and also the 5beat weave video is totally cryptic, we could do with a daylight closeup on the hands instead.

T

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

NoveSILVER Member
Unremarkable
277 posts

Posted:
I've found a site which isn't nessesairily better than the pages on here... But it does provide different angles on some moves- such as the BTB weave...

However, the names on this site are kinda iffy... There's moves on there called "the arm thingy" and "the elbow thingy"... So if you want to know what it's called, here's not the place to look for it!

But I like it anyway, it's got some pretty useful stuff...

(Edit: So, um, maybe I should actually give you this site, eh? I'm so silly...

You can find it here. Hope it helps!)

[ 12. October 2003, 10:11: Message edited by: Nove ]

"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."

becBRONZE Member
521 posts

Posted:
GeckoX.. just like to say I found your post harsh and quite rude...

Are you paying for this amazing service that you are being provided with? The free lessons section of this website are a great resource for people who otherwise may have no contact with spinning... even if the more advanced moves aren't broken down into simple componenets, they give people a visual & a description of what is possible.. and I think people having to "figure these two moves out by (their)own convoluted method" is a great thing - maybe there'd be more appreciation for the effort people put into creating moves rather than just demanding it be made easier for them

I think nearly all of the people of this community would agree that what is being provided here is wonderful - it is hardly as you decreed a "bad site"!

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
for many moons, those very same lessons were all i knew about poi - can we ever expect any resource, (free or otherwise) to do anything more than to open the door?

i like this icon alot -->

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

Motaddict
666 posts

Posted:
I'm gonna go with bec,

The fact that you say "bad site" is a bit much. You dont realise the amount of work that is involved in making lessons. This is a great site. Made by great people. So much time has been put in by many for no return. It's just to spread the word and help the new. Even the fact that you specifically refer to certain pages of the lessons as being completly useless. That is out of order man. If you find them of no use then quite simply dont visit them again, please respect the work that people have put in and the fact that people are paying to keep this site up. It is fustrating to learn new moves sometimes but hell thats life.

I'm gonna take this oportunity to thank malcolm and all the rest for the GREAT work that they have put into this site over a few years. It is by far the best site for poi and meeting people that there is. Well done guys, keep it up. And those that are making "sister" sites are'nt trying to out do you just trying to make the ring that bit bigger.

And Nove, "iffy", right I'm gonna dream up something new and call it the "iffy named move" just for you. hehe.

Edit due to dodgey spelling

[ 13. October 2003, 08:25: Message edited by: Mot ]

Come forth and thou shalt win enternal happiness. but he came fifth so he won an electric toatser.

GeckoXBRONZE Member
18 posts

Posted:
Sorry, I shouldn't have called this thread "bad site." That was a "bad" judgment call on my part. I didn't mean to come off as being insulting or accusatory...

Sometimes my way of offering criticism includes bluntness with lack of tact, and for that I apologize

I meant to say that the pages I was referring to might be of more use to newer people such as myself if they broke the moves down into steps like the former pages.

I realize HOP is a free resource, and it's a great one at that. I've been coming here for a few months now and I even ordered a few items from the store. I can't find a better place online for learning moves and connecting with fellow spinners. Having said that, I think criticism can still be useful -- although not in the form I provided, I admit. Just because it's free doesn't mean it can't make improvements here and there. I've spoken to people outside of these forums and I've gotten the same reaction to some of the pages. The BTB weave turn page isn't very illustrative, for example. A fully lit page would do a world of good for newbies.

By the way, I wrote that post after hitting myself in my eyebrow piercing with my poi. Not that that's any real excuse. I should have cooled down before coming here. Sorry once again

BirdGOLD Member
now available in "advanced"
6,086 posts

Posted:
surely half the fun and satisfaction is working a new move out for yourself!!

the pages on here are GREAT for giving hints and tips for directions in which to go! I, for one, am eternally grateful to Malcolm and everyone who has put lessons and ideas onto this site!!

My state of mind is not yours to define!

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Maybe you should change the title and possible reconsider rewording your post.

I agree with some of what your saying thuogh I reckon consructive criticism should go directly to the person who can make a difference...

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
if you dont like the pages.....
make a new instruction page with videos

its been mentioned before that they are not the best instructions, but until someone make some new ones youll have to cope.

personally the best and only way to learn is trial and error. get the basic idea of the motion from the instructions and then walk away and do it yourself! your training your hands how to move like they have never moved before, with objects moving so fast that looking at them doesnt make a difference.
after a while you dont actually need the instructions at all to work out new moves. just keep at it.

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

6,978 posts

Posted:
right on - twirling lesson sites are a massive undertaking. so many things can and do go wrong - like make-up and catering..

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
any one wanna see a weave real fast???

6,978 posts

Posted:
only if it's an..evil weave!
:places pinky against mouth in an Dr Evil manner:

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
wanna see an offset 3 circle weave dead fast? just for you bender, this is the evil face >

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Trait Of One Eleven Two™:
3 circle weave
what's a circle...?

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
its kind of like a square without the corners.

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

Motaddict
666 posts

Posted:

Your a sharp one dentrassi

Come forth and thou shalt win enternal happiness. but he came fifth so he won an electric toatser.

certifiedloonSILVER Member
29 posts

Posted:
Indeed, I agree with Malcolm - buy the DVD, it really helps you get started, although be prepared to watch a bit, pause, run downstairs and outside, mess up, run back up to DVD player and watch a few more times, THEN get it!

Despite those lessons not being the best possible, many of them are extremely insightful and the best start for a beginner. You have to remember also that poi is really really hard to explain without being able to show someone the movements close up.

This site is about as far from a 'bad site' as one could possibly get. Not only are there loads of free lessons, but the shop has so much stuff at good prices, and the service provided by malcolm and the crew is infallible. I am eternally grateful to Home of Poi for getting me swinging!

And I have to agree with birdsanctuary and Dentrassi, it is sooo satisfying if it takes ages to learn something by yourself when you get it. I set out to learn backwards weave one evening, and, slowly but surely I learnt it that night, never felt so great! (oh yeah, learning 4beat was cool too but someone taught me that!)

[ 23. October 2003, 11:19: Message edited by: circleoflight ]