Forums > Help! > my poi are out of control HeLp PlEaSe!

Login/Join to Participate

thefrostyweaselmember
4 posts

Posted:
ok so i jus started yesterday... and i'm stuck with yarn and tennis balls until my order gets here... but when i am swinging the poi come inwards toward my body... and thus the string gets wraped or knocked around by my fingers or the poi hits my legs or both... same with when i try to do the butterfly thing... or i can't get it to make a circle it makes 2 mini circles and then it pisses me off... lol PLEASE HELP how do i get them to go straight or outward even, thanx - the newbie jeff

PS i am semi raver and want to get into this so i can twirl aka glowstring, it looks tight but all the kiddies that can do it dun wanna teach me...**is a little un-patient and high strung if i can't pick things up semi fast** but this is one of the few things i really wanna learn to do

[ 03. October 2003, 05:37: Message edited by: thefrostyweasel ]

CinderpupSILVER Member
30 posts

Posted:
Hey there bud,

I can relate, I got into spinning for the same reason. One thing you NEED to pay attention to is exactly how your hands are positioned. I was rippin cuz I couldn't get the butterfly down but then when I looked at the animation I jus copied the hand movements. ALSO make sure your poi are at the right length. the first couple things in the lessons page should help. Definitely check the threads on wraps and slaps. A nice lil crowd pleaser. HAVE FUN!!

Nate

And where I go the flame shall follow. Be warmed by my outward souls flare and may it guide you through darkened paths.

firemonkeyboymember
13 posts

Posted:
I always practice each move using only one poi and in my left hand first since I am naturally right handed.I find that if I can get my left side to do movements correctly, then the right side is easier to learn and the whole movement comes together much quicker. It's also easier to control one without having to worry about the other one smacking me in my soft and/or crunchy bits.

Other than that, just keep practicing. Remember that you are trying to teach your body to move in new and different ways.Have fun!!!!

Death is only a change of address

thefrostyweaselmember
4 posts

Posted:
thanx for the tips, i think i'ma wait the couple days for my actual poi cords to get here tho cause twine keeps cuttin of circulation **naturally spinns really really fast** i hit myself in the leg and it looks like i shot myself with a paintball gun

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
spin slow, its less painfull, and you learn a nicer style
i dont know why all people at first spin at light speed its weird, i know i did it.

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by thefrostyweasel:

PS i am semi raver and want to get into this so i can twirl aka glowstring, it looks tight but all the kiddies that can do it dun wanna teach me...**is a little un-patient and high strung if i can't pick things up semi fast** but this is one of the few things i really wanna learn to do

There's some really good glowstring vids here: -

https://www.easily-amused.org/video/chicagoGS/

Will.wmv is the best clip, in my opinion.

oli's spot on about spinning slow, it'll save you a lot of pain and you'll get much better technique.

If you learn to spin slow it's easy to do the same stuff fast, the reverse isn't true.

Of course, glostringing tends to be very fast, but on one of the glowstring sites they basically said the same thing- learn all the moves slow, then speed them up.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

thefrostyweaselmember
4 posts

Posted:
HAHA been a while since i've seen anyone quote from lock stock and 2 smoking barrels... Chiiiiilll winston

roryborymember
7 posts

Posted:
My husband and I are both new to poi and he also has the problem of spinning them too fast. Is it a guy thing? As a beginner I have encountered many difficulties, but spinning them too fast is not one of them. My arms aren't that strong.

BTW, I got the beginner poi kit from this site and I think it's great. It doesn't hurt at all when I smack myself in the face with them, which is a lot.

Oh, and I also was originally enticed by the pretty swirling glowsticks at a rave. Someday it will be me. (someday)

SlightlySingedGOLD Member
82 posts

Posted:
Spinning fast at first might generally be a guy thing - I never did it, though. I've seen others do it - all male. I don't get it. Much more fun to do it to the beat of a nice psytrance track..

I do poi nearly every day. But it's not like I'm addicted or anything. I mean, sure, I am always conscious of exactly where my poi are at all times, but I'm not obsessed. um.. Anyone have the number for Poi-ers Anon?

EeraBRONZE Member
old hand
1,107 posts

Posted:
It's your hand position that is wrong, check out the basics that the other guys here have suggested and don't be in too much of a hurry, running and walking and all that.

Or the poi could be possessed. See a priest just in case.

There is a slight possibility that I am not actually right all of the time.