Forums > Help! > Next tricks and turns!!

Login/Join to Participate

certifiedloonSILVER Member
29 posts

Posted:
Been twirling for a few weeks, and I can do butterfly, overhead butterfly, mexican wave, 3beat, chase the sun, and corkscrew.

Now what? I have been using the Home of Poi dvd but everything beyond chase the sun looks outrageously hard!!

The worst is the little low turn - how the *^&$($!!! does that work? Looks like she just turns her wrists over, but that DOESN'T WORK!!! GRR!

Foraumember
81 posts

Posted:
Hm, I on the other hand have some problems with the corcscrew but find the low turn a piece of cake...

I think it is just a way of doing it verry wide first, and then keep practicing untill you can do it "just turning your wrist" style

EeraBRONZE Member
old hand
1,107 posts

Posted:
If it was easy everyone would be doing it and we wouldn't feel special.

Practise, get a few war wounds and don't be frustrated if it doesn't come immediately. You have the rest of your life to get that 5 beat weave or whatever

There is a slight possibility that I am not actually right all of the time.

29 posts

Posted:
Thanks for the advice frostypaw, but I don't know what a reel is!! I can do chase the sun but that doesn't seem to correspond to the turn at all, but yeah like u say eera I'll just have to keep at it, but it just seems so incomprehensible! I have no clue how its done!

Forau, try the corkscrew just with your right hand goin round in front then above you, then when its above just follow it with your left hand. That's how I learnt it anyway - now teach me how to turn!

BethMiss Whippy
1,262 posts

Posted:
the chasing the sun move applies because when both poi are beginning the up swing, they both go over your shoulders at the same time and your hands should stay the same distance apart. When both poi go over ur shoulders, that is basically a shoulder reel but instead of extending your arms and going into the down swing of the CTS you just keep your hands up by your ears!
This isnt very articulately explained but i hope you get what i mean, its very difficult to explain poi moves when you dont have a pen and paper!

These kind of connecting moves, reels, turns, etc. are really important so i recommend buying Michal Kahns book on poi spinning, its taught me everything like that so far.

Good luck!

Aim high and you'll know your limits, aim low and you'll never know how high you could have climbed.

29 posts

Posted:
Thanks Beth I kinda get it, and... dah dah, I have got the low turn in the bag, just had to see it done in real life and realise the whole turning your wrists backwards and pausing thing!

I shall now start work on these reels!

29 posts

Posted:
Yeah I wasn't ignoring u frostypaw, I just didn't get reels. I still don't really, I think I need to purchase that book to see some diagrams.

I mean, I can do chase the sun, but I can't see how it would work without the change of direction (ie turning a reel into chase the sun)... I need to see it done really, and its not on dvd!

But -- progress! Just learned one each way with the butterfly, although not too good with my left hand going behind.

Also, I'm baffled by backwards weave, any pointers anyone?

29 posts

Posted:
hey i learnt the turn yay! Also today learnt 4beat on the right hand side - can't seem to get it on the left, is it different or am I just being a nobber? I try to copy what i do on the right (with the opposite hands) but it seems wrong

also quite scared cos I just ordered beaming poi - expecting more than a few bruises to come!

29 posts

Posted:
Actually I'm not even sure which-beat it was! Reading the "what is a beat" section, what I was doing doesn't sound like it. So here's what I did:

3beat weave then on the RHS, instead of bringing my right hand back to the LHS it went under my left wrist which can all the way over and across to the LHS which was then followed by the right hand and went back into 3beat on the LHS..

Can someone let me kno to confirm what I was doin!?

cheers

NoveSILVER Member
Unremarkable
277 posts

Posted:
I think that sounds like the 4-beat weave... 'Least, sounds like what I do.

(Now, just watch, someone will come along and tell you that no, that's not the 4-beat weave, and what are you doing? and I'll need to relearn the 4- and 5-beat weaves because I'm totally clueless.)

"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."

29 posts

Posted:
yeah finally figured out counting the beats and the extra bit on the right hand side makes up for the odd beat, so its 4 horah!

now trying to learn btb weave by crossing btb (yeah i kno, running before i can crawl!) and just keep hitting self in back of head. doh!

29 posts

Posted:
yeah that had seemed like it would hurt less but it confused me more! However as I have made zero progress trying it forwards maybe I'll try it in reverse!

thanks for all the help btw frostypaw, do u do this for everyone or am i special??

[ 10. October 2003, 03:31: Message edited by: circleoflight ]

GottaLoveItSponge
883 posts

Posted:
So, I can do a few moves, but........ how do I do four beat weave? on the right hand side i like what? let my left hand go over the top of my right then pull my right hand to the left? what the hell? My strings end up tangled up around my arms so I can't even move myself to untangle the strings, I have to ask strangers to help me!

Monkeys monkeys and bananas

Mr Handsmember
64 posts

Posted:
This might sound like worn out and old advice; but if it hurts when you hit yourself it probably means you're spinning a little fast. Its surprising how slow you can go with a good set of poi, and its easer to run through what you have to do in your mind with more time... and the wrist thing... I don't know if you sorted it all yet but most of moving the poi should be done with the wrist, I don't know if you are flapping your arms around or anything (I'm pretty sure you're not but hey, humour me) but we shouldn't look like we're drowning when we're doing this... I think... maybe I'm wrong.... oh god help me...

29 posts

Posted:
Okay... here's the way I learned 4-beat with the help of a guy called Richard from Cheltenham - thanks mate!

[runs off to go and get poi to understand better!]

RH, LH = Right hand, left hand
RHS, LHS = Right hand side, left hand side

When doing 3beat weave: on your RHS your RH poi spins once then goes back across your body over to the LHS. To start 4beat weave you have to stop yourself doing this and convince your RH to stay on the RHS and swing the poi under your left arm.

Now, as you don't know what to do with your left arm yet, the poi will undoubtedly wrap itself around your arm. Don't be disheartened - this is correct!

To avoid this wrapping problem, (this bit is well hard to explain!) as your RH poi swings down and under your left arm, put your wrists together back to back so that your LH is on top of the right (yes you have to reach over really far to wrap the left wrist all the way over the right wrist) and then swing the LH poi down across your body over to the LHS. The RH poi just simply follows the LH, and you should be able to get into weave. You will probably have to move your hips and shoulders especially when you first get it, which seems like a massive movement - this is also right!

I don't know how useful that explaination is, the best way as always with poi is for someone to show you and keep showing you and explaining it constantly!

PS: quick tip, if you have a tiny house like me and need to poi indoors for any reason (such as trying to understand how to explain 4beat), Home of Poi's beginner poi inside the plastic bags they come with are good if you swing them by the drawstring!

PPS: now can someone explain 5beat please!

29 posts

Posted:
Nostalgic moment, just looked at my first post and I couldn't do the low turn - awwww!

Hehe, poi is so great, how one minute a move is beyond belief and then you'll get it and go, "what the hell, that's easy!"

big hug for everyone that spins!