Forums > Help! > Fire Breathing.. Bad?

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
Lasa'nta Dubh Mac Tiremember
51 posts

Posted:
Well Now i feel nice and dumb.. just got here and i have a nice little story to tell. i was doing a normal practice. pulled out the poi and tossed then same with my staff. but i picked up my hand torch and i went to hell. i was just about done and i let out alittle to much fuel and i stoped moving. it bellowed over my head and burned the side of my side nice and warm it scared the shit out of me.. i'm too young to do this! anyone thinking about doing it.... DON'T!

Nothing goes through the Lunitics dark mind... By his own Decaying HeartI love the little tacos... I love them goood G.i.rI'm gunna roll around on the floor for abit k? G.i.r

_pOp_BRONZE Member
Playing OldSchool Poi
593 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Pele:
Please tell me you did not just say this!!!
Look in ANY of the old firebreathing threads, in the write ups in the article section, in ANY of the books and publications and websites about fire breathing and they all tell you how toxic parafin/lamp oil is. If you did not know this before you started then in my opinion you have no business doing anything with fuels.

why this reaction? with the 'mad' emoticon and all. this thread was all about people not knowing the dangers of fire (-breathing). because this thread didn't mention the toxicness, I thought it better to put it in. I DO know my fuel (I am actually licenced with first aid and fire savety-precautions-extinguishing (whatever it's called in english) so yeah, I know what I'm doing), that is the whole reason why I posted, I want to educate more and what better way than in a recent post, so people will read it... of all people here, YOU should appriciate that!
quote:

And your statement about India is blaringly incorrect.

well, I didn't know that, I was only quoting somebody else on that, and it seemed worth mentioning, even if it was 'blaringly incorrect' so people might take care more, instead of trying to be a macho about fire...

but anyway, before this post goes all wrong, to all people reading this: you see what kind of reactions this subject can cause. and that isn't for no reason... PLEASE BE CAREFULL AND EDUCATE YOURSELF!!!

eric pOpsteric.

meditate eRic.

I'm not normally a religious man, but if you're up there, save me, Superman!

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
Wow Pele I really don't know how to reply. I don't think you understand the point I was trying to make and I beleve you took offence too quickly. My first post was in support of fire breathing. Of course a responsible fire breather is careful, but abstinence was the form of caution I was referencing. I am also all for educating each other, but I also want to inspire others to learn. That was the purpose of my first post. Now I understand that you've probably been working with fire for decades and your member no.18 at HOP. But please take into consideration that you are not just lecturing to a bunch of children, we are your peers. Please consider carefully before jumping into a thread and taking personal offense to every vague reference. I don't even know who you are. I beleve we all have valuable information to share and one such as yourself should be teaching not attacking.

Darn now I the one thats offended.

Cody Canon
Controlled Burn, Reno Nevada

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Cody:
Sorry for the dripping sarcasm but people should be responsible for themselves. If you think it's too dangerous, don't do it. If you want to push the envelope and your willing to assume the risk, go for it. Carefull people don't make history.

This is my personal opinion. Don't hate me for it

Cody, I did not take offense to "a vague reference". I did not just skim through the thread and respond arbitrarily. I responded very aptly to this statement and your sarcasm at something we take very seriously. And you can ask ANYONE on here, or in fact look through some past threads, and you will see I respond to this the same way...no matter who it comes from. It has nothing to do with member numbers or experience or age, and everything to do with attitude.
This sarcasm I viewed as flippancy, which I never appreciate when dealing with any form of fire play. And you closing statement of careful people not making history is what I took offense to, because that to me screams that you think that if you are careful nothing will happen to you, which is hugely incorrect. It is why things called accidents happen to careful people!

I never said that you were not educated Pop. I have the firm belief that encouraging people to do their own research is the best way (also called socratic) to teach. The fuel thing, you made a statement about not having seen that paraffin is toxic anywhere, you did not say in this thread. That is what I was referring to. And as for the statement about India, well...why would you say something if you do not know it is fully true or can support it? It serves no purpose other than to make people question your knowlesge base? And again, I respond to everyone in the same way, when I see something erroneous or what I feel is ignorant, I correct it. As you know, there is absolutely no margin for error or falsehoods in the world of fire.

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

ivan..member
165 posts

Posted:
not to throw a wrench in the whole discussion ( which i find very interesting ) but perhaps the most dangerous aspect of fire breathing is the reasoning behind it...

ask yourself a question " why would i want to breathe fire? "

them what know me know that i breathe .. and when i breathe i tend to do a lot of bursts from small to large ... i have a lot of people ask me what fuel i use and why .. sometimes i lie (like musahii did i spell that name right?) sometimes i tell the truth .. sometimes i say " i won't answer that"...

i discuss my profession with other performers often, and with my doctor a few times a month, he is very interested and has seen me perform...

but the question
"why should i try to breathe fire?"

a lot of what we do because we want to see if we can.. and much of what we do is to impress others.. as far as i can tell the fire comunity has two types of people .. the ones who respect the danger .. and the ones who abuse the danger..

the ones who respect the danger. are cautious, carefull, respectful of laws and situations .. they would work with the fire if no one was around to watch them, because they love the artform and want to get better for their own benefit.

the ones who abuse on the danger are not too cautious they do it because they get off on the attention and are always anxious to learn as many stunts as possible so they can impress friends and strangers... these people are dangerous to themselves and anyone around them.. and these people are the reason that the fire community has problem being taken seriously...

in Halifax we are pretty lucky , most of the people who work with fire are careful, cautous, and responsible .. they listen to advice , learn the facts , and make their own decisions.. i'm proud of our local community.. they make it easy for all of us to work with fire and get a little respect...

accidents happen to some of the most dilligent performers and some of the most cautious.. fire is not completly predictable.... and any aspect of it is dangerous... but breathing has the big error margin... from bowel disorder to death.. no fuel is safe, no tehnique is fool proof .. and mishaps are inevitable...

why try to breathe fire?
everyone has to answer that question for themselves.. i fear the day when omeone locally trys to emulate me and dies, and i fear the day when a mishap will take me ...
i know why i do it and thats good enough for me it is my choice and i don't need to justify myself to anyone...

but i choose who and when i train and help, when it comes to fire breathing .. i will be responsible and i would hope most of the others who work with this form of fire will also be responsible ...

the great thing about fire breathing.. the idots who breathe for the wrong reason with get what they deserve...

( sorry that was so long )

pax.

thats right i look like an albino ape that has had a bad day.. go ahead say something stupid... i dare ya !

ivan..member
165 posts

Posted:
as for teaching ..

someone who knows how to do something is under no obligation to teach everyone...

i have the right to say no to whoever i choose for whatever reason.. and before i choose to share my knowledge with someone i have the right to evaluate them and their reasons for learning what i know...

if i want to learn something that is dangerous i have to prove i can handle the knowledge.. ( and a little knowledge is damn dangerous)..

if i teach something dangerous to someone.. I AM RESPONSIBLE for them ... thats important.. so if i teach someone something i do so because i am confident they they will be responsible...

no one has to teach everyone just because they know something ... thats not the way it works .. and sometimes i get grumpy when confronted by an over confident gloryhound who thinks they can do anything...

we should share knowledge of course but you don't hand a gun to a nutcase do you? firebreathing is at least as dangerous as a firearm...

think about that

i do every day

thats right i look like an albino ape that has had a bad day.. go ahead say something stupid... i dare ya !

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
good call man, i go by the same philosophy.

cheers

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

DarkDevilmember
233 posts

Posted:
Well said ivan...

i'm so proud (hrmm proper word?) to be in the halifax fire community, its full of great people to learn with, and great people to look up to.

Ladies and gentlemen, this is not a trick, this is a stunt. The difference between a stunt and a trick is that a trick is something that tricks or fools the audience, a stunt is something that only an idiot would do -Ivan, Ash Circle, 10/04/03

XanathBRONZE Member
67 posts

Posted:
Exellently put Ivan. I do all the fire arts and i share the same philosphy on every aspect and art form of it.

Power percieved is power achieved.

Biale_koniemember
21 posts

Posted:
I talked to myslef that I will never Breath with fire _But ine day A comapany ring me and sad ,that they want to heve a fire schow with breathing ____Ok that was my first time I made this and first time when i make a cash use of non lernrd ability ...........the most importand is good fuel (i use parafine) using it I am shure that my face will not gona burn.....At the begining I spleat half liter of H2O And I was redy to Go......

Each man, one weight;Each horse, one stand;Each church, one border;Each master to his own technique.

Biale_koniemember
21 posts

Posted:
man with non responsible for themselves and others aroud is guy who practice fire breathing in closed room...Or split on/in heads of public.

Each man, one weight;Each horse, one stand;Each church, one border;Each master to his own technique.

Biale_koniemember
21 posts

Posted:
the real man who not care about pople watching and himself is guy who split in a closed rooms,or beyound/in heads of public

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
quote:
Unfortunately, despite all the warnings everywhere, I'm certain that people will be fire breathing for a long time to come.
quote:
Death, brain damage and other people hurting themselves trying to help you are just a few of the other things that can happen.

quote:
Aye. and i have read the page on Pele and thats the big reason i'm stoping
quote:
I'd never do fire breathing..

I read all of what was said on this thread and these were the profound statements that stuck in my head. I thought of the first person who ever tried fire breathing. I bet they were faced with all of these bariers. But I'm glad they tried it. And now we can enjoy the beauty of firebreathing. Somewhere someone will take the next step. Who knows what it is. I thought that person, if they read this thread, may have needed at least one little piece of inspiration. That was my goal. Hopefully it worked. My sarcasm was an attempt to lighten it up a bit. Sorry if I insulted anyone but I'm new to this. Fire is a serious issue spoken here with to punctuate it.
I was confused. Careful was the wrong word to use. It's up to interpritation. Careful people would never try fire breathing, or would they try it carefully? How about risky people make history?

Cody Canon

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
quote:
...And now we can enjoy the beauty of firebreathing.
I can no longer see it as beautiful because I'm too aware of how many people have been messed up through doing it.

In my opinion it's a shame that it's associated with such a skillful, healthy and beautiful pursuit as spinning cos it has little in common with it.

Fire breathing is pretty easy to learn with little scope for developmnet and very negative health aspects. The main people impressed by it are the general public who are completely ignorant of the damage the breather is doing to themselves.

quote:
Somewhere someone will take the next step. Who knows what it is.
Hopefully, to effectively spread the word so that the general public, rather than watching with glee and giving rapturous applause, instead turn away in disgust; thus removing the prime incentive for anyone to risk their lives performing such a pointless and dangerous stunt.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

ivan..member
165 posts

Posted:
for the most part i let things slide and let slights and slants go with out comment . however the sheer ignorance of the above rant has sort of encouraged me to speak out

listen dave all fire arts are pretty much usless in the grande scheme of things .. but fire breathing is an artform ... as much as poi/staff/clubs...

the minute you start burning fuel and spinning it around you breathe in soot, and get it all over your skin.. it's NOT healthy... nothing with fire is healthy anyone who thinks they can be around the fumes and gasses and not take damage is high...(prolly from the fumes)

perhaps you feel disgust when you see someone working the art of fire breathing .. then again you don't have to watch.. roll away ... but when i see a straight tower of pure flame .. feel the heat from 10 feet away ... i know that the person under that flame has practiced hard and honed a dangerous and wonderful skill...

a skill that takes much time to master ( by master i mean make safer and be properly presented) and is as beautiful as it is dangerous... a skill that can be far more graceful than all of the other fire arts ( if done properly)

perhaps the next time you decide to slam the way some people make a living and the effort they have put into it to make it safer for themselves .. you might consider the feelings of those people.. show a little consideration for people feelings..

i mean after all... a unicycle!
please

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by ivan..:

the minute you start burning fuel and spinning it around you breathe in soot, and get it all over your skin.. it's NOT healthy... nothing with fire is healthy anyone who thinks they can be around the fumes and gasses and not take damage is high...(prolly from the fumes)

I think we both know that fire breathing is far, far more dangerous than fire spinning. People have been killed doing it and many more have suffered from the toxins collecting in their bodies.

I didn't post it to offend or to slam people, but because it is my opinion that fire breathing is bad, and I wish to do all in my power to disuade as many people as possible from getting into it.

I also feel that the general public who typically make up the audience watching breathing have no conception of how many people have been harmed doing it.

I have one friend who almost died fire breathing and I have encountered people at the local university juggling club who told me that they had been given fire breathing instruction at a party, whilst drunk. They were impressed by how easy it was to learn, and had no idea of how dangerous it was, until I told them.

The fire arts are getting more and more popular, I am concerned that a lot of people are going to get into it because it's a cool way of impressing their peers.

Such individuals, given a choice between the hard work and patience necessary to become proficient in fire spinning, or fire breathing which can be picked up in one day; will end up going for breathing.

Like you say, breathing takes time to master, if mastery includes relevant safety aspects, but often people ignore that aspect.

Sorry if I've hurt your feelings, I tried to stick to the facts.

But, to be honest, I'd rather hurt a few feelings if it leads to someone being spared hospitalisation or death through a fire breathing accident.

quote:
Originally posted by ivan..:

i mean after all... a unicycle!
please

??????????????????????

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

kristiboySILVER Member
23 posts

Posted:
Firebreathing is always better when someone else is doing it.
If you want the same effect. Get a spray mister bottle and attatch a peice of wick with some strong wire about 12inches in front of the spray nozzle. Fill the spray bottle with fuel. Light the wick and spray...Instant flame throwers. If you try this BE CAREFUL!

If you talk you can sing. If you walk you can dance.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
From the historical perspective people died doing this quite frequently but for them they felt it was acceptible as it was in reverence to their gods.

Eunus, a Syrian, in 150 BC claimed he could speak with his gods by opening his mouth and flames coming forth. This is the first *written* historical account of fire breathing. Though Antigone depicts fire ritual in ancient Greece, and it has even been elluded to in those cultures whose chronicles are pictoral in form (Egypt, South American Tribal).
There is a definite difference between sacrificing yourself for what you believe is a divine purpose in a day and age when that is really all they had, and doing it for entertainment in the face of countless other options.

Historically it was not taking a risk, it was speaking with Gods.

And in Mexico people will firebreathe in deadlocked traffic in order to make a peso or two. There is a very high instance of death among these men (they are always men from the documentary I saw, and usually older, somewhat decrepit, out of work) but this is a case of desperation calling for action. And truthfully, once you are at that point, what else do you have to lose? They do know the dangers but take them so that they can hopefully add a bit of food to the bellies of their often numerous children. This was shown in a news documentary by Diane Sawyer about a year or so ago.

There is a world of difference historically and even culturally at why people do the things they do, and they can not be compared. We are talking about firebreathing simply for the sake of an ooh, an ahh, and a rush, let's not lose sight of that.

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Pele, Firemike, and others have, unfortunately encountered a clinical entity known to doctors as "hydrocarbon chemical pneumonitis." The slang medical name for this condition among doctors is "firebreather's lung."

It is caused by inhaling some of the fuel. This causes a strong immune response in the lung leading to the Adult Respiratory Distress Syndrome (ARDS). It's like a really severe pneumonia where the lung is completely filled with fluid. The treatment is to put the patient on a ventilator and wait until it goes away. This can take days to weeks.

I wanted to learn to breathe fire, but I won't do it. Eat it, sure. But not breathe it.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
Pele, just out of curiosity, do you still breathe fire?

I saw a little thing in the news about firebreathers in mexico and it said they were using diesel. What's your comment on that.

Cody Canon

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
pele answered a few questions along those lines not long ago. heres the link.peles answers

breathing diesel = deathwish by poisoning & burns. thats all im going to say cos otherwise ill start ranting.

cheers.

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

Page: