Forums > Help! > Fire Breathing.. Bad?

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
Lasa'nta Dubh Mac Tiremember
51 posts

Posted:
Well Now i feel nice and dumb.. just got here and i have a nice little story to tell. i was doing a normal practice. pulled out the poi and tossed then same with my staff. but i picked up my hand torch and i went to hell. i was just about done and i let out alittle to much fuel and i stoped moving. it bellowed over my head and burned the side of my side nice and warm it scared the shit out of me.. i'm too young to do this! anyone thinking about doing it.... DON'T!

Nothing goes through the Lunitics dark mind... By his own Decaying HeartI love the little tacos... I love them goood G.i.rI'm gunna roll around on the floor for abit k? G.i.r

DeimosBRONZE Member
Cinnamon Girl
191 posts

Posted:
Sorry to hear about the little accident, hope it doesn't hurt too bad or anything.
Unfortunately, despite all the warnings everywhere, I'm certain that people will be fire breathing for a long time to come. I hope everyone who does follow that art does it with as much responsibility as possible, but it would be next to impossible to stop it forever.

P*L*U*R

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
and facial burns are the BETTER result of firebreathing accidents.

Death, brain damage and other people hurting themselves trying to help you are just a few of the other things that can happen.

And the risk doesn't get lower the more you do it, it gets HIGHER...Just ask Pele and Dangerboy

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

ZoltarBRONZE Member
Beginner
282 posts

Posted:
Gotta agree charles. This is one of the few of the fire arts that I have no inclination to try.

The risk is too high IMHO.

So much fire, so little body hair...

51 posts

Posted:
Aye. and i have read the page on Pele and thats the big reason i'm stoping.. it scared me so much when i got done. i just got stupid on my last run and messed up.

Nothing goes through the Lunitics dark mind... By his own Decaying HeartI love the little tacos... I love them goood G.i.rI'm gunna roll around on the floor for abit k? G.i.r

Raphael96SILVER Member
old hand
899 posts

Posted:
I'd never do fire breathing..

scary!

Raph

XanathBRONZE Member
67 posts

Posted:
I like firebreathing. It is dangerous, but i enjoy it. I agree the more you do it only increases the risk. I havent done it for a month and i'm considering giving it up completely. I was planning on doing it this weekend, but ive just got a really bad feeling about it. Not because its been awhile since ive done it, but i just feel like its not a good idea. Not only that so far other signs are pointing to no, such as, i was at the hardware store buying woodcores and i was going to buy parafin too but only ended up having $ for one or the other so i opted out for the cores. The week before i was at the same store and was going to buy a 1/2 gallon of parafin just to have around, but once again for whatever the reason i chose not too. I think im going to trust my instincts on this one!

Power percieved is power achieved.

51 posts

Posted:
Good! man thats the best thing to think.. if you have a bad feeling there no better thing then that saying don't do it.. and there are much better things to do with fire.. and plus.. do you really want that waxy taste in your mouth for the time eh?

XanathBRONZE Member
67 posts

Posted:
I dont mind the taste in my mouth as much as when you swallow some, which inevitably happens cuz the fuel mixes with your saliva and if you doing consecutive blasts then you cant wash your mouth out. It sucks when you swallow it because the littlest bit and you'll be burping it up for a few hours. I agree there are better things to do with fire, but there is nothing like breathing it! I'll probably most likely give it up though like i said, i figure out a new difficult toy to make to fill the void. Im already making a multiwicked staff with poi on each end so my next toy will most likely be a 3 section staff. Every see one of those? 3 24 in sections joined together with 4in of chain in between each section, Now that will fill the firebreathing void!

51 posts

Posted:
Weee Ha! that sounds fun! i'll have to try that one some day! but for now i'm just stuck with my 6 foot staff. let alone i'm only 5'4''! so it's all good! and i'm gunna try Devil Sticks thanks to Evildman heeh great friend and knows just how to get ya. but man that staff sounds fun! and i will miss the burning fuel.. ahh. brings a tear to my eye..

XanathBRONZE Member
67 posts

Posted:
send me a message sometime and ill email you pics of my poi staff (double flail) when it is done. im waiting on kevlar from the HOP shop right now. i'll also send you a few pics of my 3section when thats done. by the way do you do poi too????

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
Wow fire breathing...Scarry stuff...I heard of some people who spin balls of fire from the ends of cahins that's nuts! It could wrap arround your head lock on to itself and they could fall into the crowd of a bucket of gass. Not to mention those crazys who spin little lights in the dark....I mean...in the dark you could hit yourself in the head. That would really hurt.

Sorry for the dripping sarcasm but people should be responsible for themselves. If you think it's too dangerous, don't do it. If you want to push the envelope and your willing to assume the risk, go for it. Carefull people don't make history.

This is my personal opinion. Don't hate me for it

Cody Canon
Controlled Burn, Reno Nevada

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Cody:

Sorry for the dripping sarcasm but people should be responsible for themselves. If you think it's too dangerous, don't do it.

Breathing is in a different league to spinning where danger is concerned, as a bad accident with poi will result in a severe burn whereas with breathing it's death or maiming.

I'm glad that people are stressing that fire breathing is a bad idea because I'm still encountering complete beginners who've been taught it at a party by someone with no sense of responsibility.

They then think that breathing is simple and looks cool, and have no idea that it can really mess you up.

quote:
Carefull people don't make history.

Carefull people make history as often as non carefull people; being careful can be good, and it can save lives.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

musashiistarring Skippy the green llama
1,148 posts

Posted:
On a side note, thats exactly why I try to keep the 'behind the curtain' aspect of fire breathing to the maximum when I perform. I'll tell someone it's good ole pabst blue ribbon(cheap american beer for anyone else not in US), or water("It's not what you use, it's how you use it" ), before ever letting anyone know what I'm using, and usually it's the most common question. I breathe quite regularly, still, but it's not something I plan on doing for an extended period of time. However, from tips from here and tips from a local nurse, I take as many precautions as I can. Which include a detox day at least once a month, and using pepto and robitussin before breathing(as per the nurse, who works in the local burn unit). I'll have to get the exact details as to what it helps with, but the robitussin protects the epiglotis(most likely the wrong term, but the little flap of skin and most importantly, the mucous covering that flap of skin between your throat and lung passageway), and the pepto helps with any accidental ingestion of parrafin. These are only preventive measures, they only reduce the risk. I've heard arguments on here as to whether there actually is any protective measures you can do for firebreathing, but I'll trust my local nurse, thanks.

First intention, then enlightenment..
Ars Pyronomica

" Life is programmed. Whether death is programmed or not is yet to be determined."

DarkDevilmember
233 posts

Posted:
What i've always wondered is.. why are conventional fuels favoured over stuff such as "Ron Rico's Purple Label Rum" or "Everclear"

Ladies and gentlemen, this is not a trick, this is a stunt. The difference between a stunt and a trick is that a trick is something that tricks or fools the audience, a stunt is something that only an idiot would do -Ivan, Ash Circle, 10/04/03

musashiistarring Skippy the green llama
1,148 posts

Posted:
ever seen the difference up close? or even far away...Your alcohol fireballs are weak, more reddish orange, not the great white/orange plumes you get with heavier fuels. And also because it is a lighter fuel, the risk of blow back is exponentially greater.

First intention, then enlightenment..
Ars Pyronomica

" Life is programmed. Whether death is programmed or not is yet to be determined."

_pOp_BRONZE Member
Playing OldSchool Poi
593 posts

Posted:
I have fire breathed a few times and gave up for two reasons:

1: when doing the buzzsaw I breathed fire, but because the poi keep passing in front of your face, it lit the source again and it backfired on my lip.
now I was lucky. too many people scare at that point, cough or get hickups and will inhale the flame and thus burning your complete lungs!!!

2: and haven't seen this noted before...
the parafin is REALLY BAD for your health. not only if swallowed (a friend of mine was sick for 4 days after a big swallow), but the vapor of the parafin will damage your lungs badly. so even when things don't get "wrong", you still inhale the fumes... in india (where fire breathing is still quite common) a lot of people die because of this every year.

[ 11. October 2003, 03:28: Message edited by: Pele ]

meditate eRic.

I'm not normally a religious man, but if you're up there, save me, Superman!

LetumLuxSILVER Member
57 posts

Posted:
quote:
I heard of some people who spin balls of fire from the ends of cahins that's nuts! It could wrap arround your head lock on to itself and they could fall into the crowd of a bucket of gass.

Personally, if the crowd is that close, they deserve to be fallen upon and soaked in gas, then ignited by the wicks. What kinda chains are they using to get them locked around their head, of all places, anyway? I'd like to pick some of those up.

quote:

Not to mention those crazys who spin little lights in the dark....I mean...in the dark you could hit yourself in the head. That would really hurt.

Those -do- hurt. ::sniffs:: I almost fractured a rib with my practice poi because I started out using ones that were about three times heavier than they probably should have been... That hurt. It still hurts sometimes, actually, and that was a number of months ago... but man.. you get hit with the electroglo or the glowsticks, especially if you're wet? Holy Unamed Ones... I don't mind a little pain, but the welts those "safe" little bastards leave are insane. Hell, people should be warning about the dangers of spinning glowsticks instead of aspirating fire!

/amusement rant>

There really is no explanation for this painful phenomenon. I passed out cold. Then I died. - Ach Mein Gott, issue 1.

The lurker formerly known as LollipopSpider.

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
Boy did I liven this little discussion up. I hope you all know I'm playing devils advocate. Yes fire breathing is extreemly dangerous, and you should know what your getting into and it's not for everyone. But the danger is part of the thrill. The newest rage is extreme sports where you could get killed. Being a fire performer at all is dangerous. Granted due to it's popularity, fire dancing is now for everyone. Everything about fire breathing is horrible. The fumes, the organic solvent that absorbs in to your skin, irritates the hell out of everything and destroys your liver. I personally have done it only a few times and it's not for me. But I don't want to see it die as an art either. That is why I'm argueing for fire breathing.

Trachaseseschiek, I guess you have never been to Burningman. The crowd is right there, it can be chaos. I do have poi that wrap arround my head they are very long. After I get 20 posts I'll upload some pictures.

Have fun chewing apart my reply, game on.

Cody Canon

DarkDevilmember
233 posts

Posted:
I don't know if i would compare Fire Arts to Extreme Sports. Its true that the fun in extreme sports is the risk. But in extremesports you take calculated risks, and high-danger risks. With fire breathing your not even gambling, its garenteed failure any way you look at it. Let me elaborate.

Sky Diving, you jump out of a plane, you take the risk of not having your shoot open. So you can fall and die. But, if everything goes as planned your alright, and you have a major rush going on.

Fire Breathing, you spit toxins out of your mouth into a flame, you take the risk of holding the flame to close to the source of the spray, or not spraying it hard enough both resulting in shooting back into your lungs. Amoung other things. BUT, if everything goes as planned you will come out of it with a major rush, and traces of toxins in you. Eventually building up to make you sick, or possibly dead.

Ladies and gentlemen, this is not a trick, this is a stunt. The difference between a stunt and a trick is that a trick is something that tricks or fools the audience, a stunt is something that only an idiot would do -Ivan, Ash Circle, 10/04/03

LetumLuxSILVER Member
57 posts

Posted:
"Trachaseseschiek, I guess you have never been to Burningman. "

Indeed, I haven't. In fact, I've resolved to avoid it.
When I first heard about Burning Man, I was very much interested.. but the more I heard about the human aspect of it, the more I was turned off from it. The concept I like; but when the human factor is added to anything, especially en masse, the concept will get muddled. Look at organized religion. Heh.

I, personally, will likely never fire-breath in the usual manner. I'm just not that h4rdc0r3 l337, I suppose, and having a fine sense of paranoia helps.

[ 06. October 2003, 11:10: Message edited by: Trachaseseschiek ]

There really is no explanation for this painful phenomenon. I passed out cold. Then I died. - Ach Mein Gott, issue 1.

The lurker formerly known as LollipopSpider.

Maximusmember
250 posts

Posted:
I firebreathed twice at Burningman and have rarely felt safer. I breathed at the opening ceremony (with Dave King on staff). All I had to do was point and the crowd readily moved back to where I wanted them. I don't think you can find a crowd more knowlegable and appreciate of fire arts. It was windy so I needed a lot of room. Usually my dedicated safety Isaac shadows me a couple yards to my side, but this time I had him right beside and slightly behind me.
The second time was at the night of the Burn. There little wind. I had a solid row of Black Rock Rangers between me and the crowd. I was given my own spot on the inner circle, so I had plenty of room between me and the other firedancers. Again, Isaac shadowed my every move.
Once I did set my lips on fire when I was unable to fully aspirate the big mouthful of fuel I took. The flames crawled down the mist and gave me a hot kiss. Two slaps of my hand put it out before my safety could get halfway across the stage to me. I treated it immediately (see posts on first aid) and all I got was a couple of fever blisters. I've cut myself worse shaving, I didn't even lose the outer layer of skin (like a bad sunburn), but I am doing breathing about twice as safely now as I was doing it then. (And I did thank my lucky stars and guardian angels )
I agree that most people suck and even at Burningman a few of them still manage to suck, but not most of them there. It is mindblowing how kind and helpful people are to each other on the playa.
But if you truly are paranoid, you probably should give it a miss.

peace,
Maximus Ego

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Maximus:
I firebreathed twice at Burningman and have rarely felt safer...
...But if you truly are paranoid, you probably should give it a miss.

peace,
Maximus Ego

Given that so many people have been seriously hurt fire breathing and that some have died, I feel that implying that those who choose not to do so are paranoid is not good.

Sorry to be picky, but people new to the world of fire may read this thread and I would not like them to get the impression that the consensus view is that avoiding fire breathing is about a lack of courage; for most of us it is a matter of judging the facts and having enough respect for our life/health to not jepardise it for a spectacular effect.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

Maximusmember
250 posts

Posted:
I will be glad to clarify. I was not saying that avoiding firebreathing is paranoid. I said if you are paranoid you should avoid Burningman (because of the huge freaky crowds).
I agree that firebreathing is incredibly dangerous. If you are not 200% certain that you have the situation completely under your control, don't try it. It is certainly not for novices or even omegas. I firedanced for about five years before I took it up and only tried it after months of practicing with water and picking all my firebreathing friends' brains for their secrets.

Safety first,
Maximus Ego

XanathBRONZE Member
67 posts

Posted:
Sorry, buddy. You can not ever be 200% certain that the situation is under your control. You cannot even be 100% certain. Think about it, you are doing something so dangerous that even the slightest change in wind direction, the angle you aspirate at, and the distance of the torch to your mouth could spell disaster. I've found most accidents happen when people become over confident and complacent thinking they have the situation completely under control. The truth is they forget what they are dealing with, lose respect for it, and they forget there is always a .001 chance they may fail no matter how much YOU think you are in control. Beware, confidence is good, but becoming over confident can kill you.

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
Huh...

When I first read the topic for this thread, I thought it said "fire breathing in bed"

and I'm thinking, "heck, you shouldn't even smoke in bed!"

I read several responses before deciding it had nothing to do with being in a bed while breathing fire. I even thought about replying before I realized my mistake.

silly me.

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

Foraumember
81 posts

Posted:
I think the people who feel really safe should read Pele's story about a summer in hell.
That should clear up there minds and let them have just that bit of fright they need and not do anything stupid because they think they master the situation.

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
No Fair Maximus, I thought they only attacked me. Burningman does have the best audience you could ever ask for, and it has the worst possible audience you could imagine. Drugged out onlookers could watch in amazement and obey your every command, or they could walk right in to you while you spin. Trachaseseschiek it is good that you have your opinions about burningman and I won't attempt to sway your views, but I believe that you should experience it once for yourself. I understand what you mean about the human aspect, but amazingly the event prevails. If the human aspect were so destructive, how would such an event occur 18 years in a row without corporate sponsorship?

Cody Canon

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
I've never had a problem with a audience at a burn event. I've had some differences with other fire performers at burningman though, which I think is really odd. When I meet fire people anywhere else, they are always very cool, but at Burningman, they are #&*$heads at least 30% of the time. I consider this even more strange when I consider the aspect that 99% of the people I meet at Burningman are totally awesome.

Luckily the same is not true for the Texas burn (Burning Flipside), which is very heavy on the fire performers - they are always great there.

And I don't see any need to convince Trachaseseschiek to go to a burn. If he isn't interested, it saves room for someone who is. Burns aren't for everyone.

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

Zyanya BellaBRONZE Member
70 posts

Posted:
I've only ever breathed fire once or twice. I suck at it and usually blow out my torch. It is dangerous and perhaps not for everybody but its an art that I don't think will die out. I think people should practice asperating with water before they ever do fuel. there is always danger when playing with fire. that is part of the allure. I was taught by someone with experience and have always been in the presence of that person when lighting up. Safety should always be first.

Always Beautiful

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by pOpsteric:
1: when doing the buzzsaw I breathed fire, but because the poi keep passing in front of your face, it lit the source again and it backfired on my lip.
now I was lucky. too many people scare at that point, cough or get hickups and will inhale the flame and thus burning your complete lungs!!!

This is called a blowback and is one of the most common "side effects" to fire breathing. There are alot of variations on how to get blowbacks, this is one. Someday if I am so inclined I will tell the story of how I had to hit the ground to sort of "duck" beneath a blowback. Alot of craziness can happen.

quote:

2: and haven't seen this noted before...
the parafin is REALLY BAD for your health. not only if swallowed (a friend of mine was sick for 4 days after a big swallow), but the vapor of the parafin will damage your lungs badly. so even when things don't get "wrong", you still inhale the fumes... in india (where fire breathing is still quite common) a lot of people die because of this every year.

Please tell me you did not just say this!!!
Look in ANY of the old firebreathing threads, in the write ups in the article section, in ANY of the books and publications and websites about fire breathing and they all tell you how toxic parafin/lamp oil is. If you did not know this before you started then in my opinion you have no business doing anything with fuels. To me knowing your fuels is THE most important safety precaution you can take before you light up. If something goes wrong how are you supposed to deal with it?

And your statement about India is blaringly incorrect. Fact is that more people firebreathe in Mexico to turn a dime, and in the "Western" nations than in India, where they do not have the resources to waste on such effects. It is not concidered a religious thing there anymore either so it is not as common to see as snake dancing and bed of nails.

Dark Devil, Why are toxic fuels used? Alcohol is just as toxic and more dangerous to use. If you truly want the full answer (which would take alot of typing, beyond the technical plume answer given) please so a search on Fire Breathing Fuels, or read the write up on Fire breathing in the articles section and you will know more than you ever wanted to know.

Cody, are you saying that I wasn't careful? I take great offense to this. I was careful. I am extremely professional in all I do for my shows, and that involves protecting my audience, venue and myself. I had firebreathed hundreds if not thousands of times safely, in a variety of stunts, without incedent. I agree we all must be responsible for our own choices, but in the case of dangerous arts, we are responsible for one another as well, because if we do not educate one another, then more people will be injured or die.

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Page: