Forums > Help! > how to improve on fire poi shows

Login/Join to Participate

blackfly1member
4 posts

Posted:
dont know if this is the right forum to be in.
have been doing a fire show outside a bar in paphos, cyprus, not for money, just for a few free drinks. the show is fine but i feel it needs a little extra something. i can do most of the moves, at least basic, i realize the sky is the limit. not looking for anything complicated just some suggestions on how to make the show a little better, little things like opening moves or ways to keep the poi lit up for longer, any suggestionson how to improve the show

better to regret something u have done rather than something u havent done satan, orbital

Xtremely Flameablemember
95 posts

Posted:
Hey I ain't much for performing but using different fire toys always ups it. A fire show isn't a fire show without different toys.

When a man lies, he murders some part of the world.

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
yes, did you know that staff twirlers are very virile people?! it's true!

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

dj_gooseSunburnt Bournda Beach Bum
157 posts

Posted:
i saw an amazing show in Edinburgh, and it was done by two dudes twirling together with two sticks between them but swapping sticks with throws throughout their act.

Also u could try increase the ambience of your show, so take the bare street, but try to think of ways to get your audience excited even beofre u light up, just by giving the place an aoura

hope that makes some sense and/or difference

cheers

Look to the moon, look to the stars, and if you still can't find happyness...find a bar!!!

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Interaction....

Talk to the people watching, make up silly stories about "this one time, at band camp, I set a triangle on fire"

Have a common theme or reaction running throughout the whole show that people can follow on. It can be something as simple as getting them to all yell (as nicely as possible) for someone in the the club to bring you out a drink of water every ten minutes.

Get someone to set their watch...and keep asking how long to go whenever they look bored.

Flirt, with complete and utter innocence, with BOTH sexes in the audience. Be aware that men with girlfrinds may feel a little intimidated, so go on about how cute they look, even if you are male...It gives their girlfriends a great laugh, and earns them a few points of respect with the crowd.

Play up BIG on the safety aspect too, constantly ask people if they can check if kids are watching, and if any turn up...have a long long talk about how only adults are dumb enough to spin fire...kids are WAY to smart for that sort of thing...

Well, anyway, that few suggestions...take 'em or leave 'em...

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

MaskNmember
14 posts

Posted:
the presepction of firetwirling (at least in my view) is very tribal so play on that, costuming, war paint..... even go as far to find someone who plays bongo and get them to play while you twirl. Mixing it up a little is a good idea..... just play with a theame and once you've got it right run with it.

--MaskN--

dj_gooseSunburnt Bournda Beach Bum
157 posts

Posted:
Like your thought process Charles, getting the audience into it will make the show sooooooo much better....that is how all buskers make money

cheers

Look to the moon, look to the stars, and if you still can't find happyness...find a bar!!!

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
you should spin naked.

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
great points, charles!
My interaction is limited to a bow at the end! I think i get too out of breath to talk though..

Dentrassi, is that with or without shaving?

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Remember that you are there for the audience, not the audience there for you. Even if you were not there, they still would be. You are a bonus.
Be appreciative of the fact that they are giving you their time.
Spinning hard and fast (so that you lose your breath) is only good for a short time. Spinning technically is great when you spin for other spinners. However, after a bit, to most people it is simply fire in circles.

Move your body. When you are spinning, make eye contact with the audience. Add other visually interesting things, like uv/glowy things (glowsticks on the ends of handles are really neat in clubs. Crack them when you take a break so that it adds something new in the middle of a show. Then keep your hands really close together. It looks almost like liquid dancing with fire poi.)

And Charles is spot on. Performing is ALL about the audience.

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK