AnnaStarmember
1 post

Posted:
I've been playing with my new poi on the beach, and (woops) they are all sandy - Is this going to hurt the kevlar? Should I try and get it out? Or just play on...

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Personally I do feel it effected my poi in an adverse way. They didn't hold as much fuel and the burn wasn't as clean...plus it mussed up my fuel....
I just rinsed it out with water and let my poi dry, something I like to do anyway to keep them clear of too much oily soot residue.

I think it honestly comes down to how you feel they do. There is nothing scientific that says yes or no. Try them with the sand and if you feel it was inadequate (I have pretty strict standards for my poor poi), then by all means please wash them off. If not, then have loads of fun!

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
mine seemed fine after a week in the sand.... although i can see how it might be bad for them, so probably safest to try and get rid of it.

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

BethMiss Whippy
1,262 posts

Posted:
my poi got sandy once.
I was at the beach spinning happily away and during one of the moves i hadnt quite mastered, hit myself on the back and the guy i was with came rushing over with a heavy towel, pushed me over, extinguished the poi which were by that time covered in sand, ooooo i was mad!!!
I just spun them really fast (as if you were spinning them out) and got rid of most of the sand, then they were fine!

Aim high and you'll know your limits, aim low and you'll never know how high you could have climbed.

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
I would rather a hundred not-needed safety interventions than that one needed one not happening...

But, I don't do much poi...

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

BethMiss Whippy
1,262 posts

Posted:
True true, Charles. But it was still bloody annoying coz i got sand all in my hair and poi and clothes. He prolly only did it so he could jump on me! Damn admirers with their towels!!!

Aim high and you'll know your limits, aim low and you'll never know how high you could have climbed.