Forums > Help! > how to stop kevlar rope from fraying? help!

Login/Join to Participate

King Of Bongoaddict
522 posts

Posted:
bought some cheap kevlar rope at the ejc a couple of days ago and I've just got it out of its bag to find about 5cm from either end are fraying really badly- that is an awful lot of a 2m length of rope...
any ideas?
thanks
Ben

Your life is ending one minute at a time...
So live it.

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
A lot of people use PVA glue to stop their wicks fraying.

Maybe if you soaked your frayed ends in PVA and squeeze it together it may hold?

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

Original Pyromember
26 posts

Posted:
Shurely PVA would melt?

Take the power back

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Nope...It hardens with heat, making it one of the best inexpensive glues to use on wick.

It's brilliant stuff!

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

ZoltarBRONZE Member
Beginner
282 posts

Posted:
Yep thats how I do it - PVA glue

Then sew the ends with Kevlar thread to keep em all nice and neat

So much fire, so little body hair...

becBRONZE Member
521 posts

Posted:
ok... just a quick question re. using glue on kevlar - seems to make sense except does anyone know if there is anything particularly toxic (ie significantly more harmful that the fuel fumes) that gets released as the glue heats up/melts..

and if so would it be advisable to "burn in" glued wicks that you might use for fire eating (if you were so inclined to do that)... ? ..or does anyone know (like really know, not just guess) that it is harmless enough enough not to be worrying about it...

I'm well enough aware that fire eating is dangerous enough and toxic enough that it shouldn't worry me anymore than usual, but I would prefer to keep the damage to my body to a minimum...

((I might do a bit of research on this anyway just to be sure - but if any of the scientists know what it's made of and what gets released when it melts etc would be dandy if you could post, ta...*))

Shibakienthusiast
309 posts

Posted:
back to glue... when i was making my own poi, i learned about using glue on the kevlar.
funny, but i am a neat freak, so you think i would rave about glue, but i actually dont like to use it at all. i would rather deal with the frays.

i find the rigidity of kevlar after glue not to my liking. i use cathedrals, so it is more noticable than tubes. maybe i overdid it on the glue (i dont think so) but i found that my flames were slightly smaller, but i use smaller wicks anyway, so didnt want to compromise any more airflow getting into my wicking.

as for toxicity, cant answer that, except for a simple opinion that i dont see how it could be anywhere near as bad as the fuel itself, but perhaps ask a chemist? NYC?

Wow

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
I'm not a chemist, but I found an MSDS sheet here PVA MSDS

Have a close look, this one doesn't even need a degree to read it!

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

King Of Bongoaddict
522 posts

Posted:
ta very much for the info.
any clues as to where I can get this glue (either in spain or the uk)? is it sold just about anywhere or do I need to go to a diy store or smt?
thank you very much

Ben.

Your life is ending one minute at a time...
So live it.

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by King Of Bongo:
ta very much for the info.
any clues as to where I can get this glue (either in spain or the uk)? is it sold just about anywhere or do I need to go to a diy store or smt?
thank you very much

Ben.

Most craft/art/stationary suppliers stock it.

If you're going to use it frequently then it's a lot cheaper to go to a big DIY store and get some 'builders adhesive'

It comes in a big tub for less than a fiver and is the same as PVA.

For general kevlar wick you can avoid the need for PVA by tucking the end of the wick over on the last wrap (see HOP's animated wick making instuctions).

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
Which are under the news - articles or under safety in the Free Lessons section.

Or just click here... animated wick contruction page

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Elmer's White School Brand. Last I knew it was sold internationally, is readily available and cheap. What I do is literally soak the edges of my tools (and I used this primarily on my fire eating torches actually) and smoothe it all down so that it dries over night all in one nice place. Works like a charm. The interesting thing about this is that I found it does not at all inhibit the soaking of fuels into the wicks, which was my concern. I have been using this method for nearly 4 years now, with really great results.

Bec, actually the label states that it is non-toxic and even safe for consumption, though they do not recommend it. When I contacted the company when I first explored this option I told them what I was doing and they explained to me the hardening effect is because of burning off of the water in the glue, which leaves the sticky residue behind. The sticky residue then hardens, or cures, with the heat. There is nothing in the glue that is highly flammable, explosive or toxic.
The MSDS supports that as well. I don't even sew my fire eating torches. All I do is glue them together. Many a time I have had all the wicking burned away and was left with this hard ball of stuff that I have had to take a hammer to in order to free my wick tip! I swear by it! (I don't use kevlar, seen it come unravelled on someone over the face and it flipped me out)

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

becBRONZE Member
521 posts

Posted:
thanks Charles & Pele ("safe for consumption" but would taste yicky anyway )

that makes me feel lots better about using it, and certainly will save me hours of sewing kevlar...

thanks again you wonderful angels