Forums > Help! > Best beginner's resource?

Login/Join to Participate

Stubbsmember
31 posts

Posted:
Hi folks,

I'm just beginning to get into spinning poi, and I'm wondering what kind of purchases I should be making to get myself started. I plan to buy a chain rope from the store here and fashion my own tennis ball heads to practice with, but I'm having trouble deciding which educational item to buy.

It looks like the "Spinning Poi" book and "Art of Poi" DVD are the best of the bunch. Unfortunately I'm an impoverished student with only enough cash to get one; so, which would you guys recommend? I've read nothing but good things about the book, but I'm worried that for something like this some full-motion examples might be necessary. On the other hand, I have no idea what's on the DVD, whereas I gather that the book is fairly comprehensive.

Advice? Thanks in advance.

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
If you're an impoverised student then my advice is to not buy any poi. Wait, I'm not mad!

A lot of people I know who have been spinning for ages spin long socks with juggling balls in them, but a small bag of rice is even cheaper. And start with the lessons on this site. Better yet get yourself to a local spinning gathering and ask the friendly people there to teach you things. Hassle them, they won't mind. I've not seen the video, but I know the book is pretty extensive and really, really good.

And which Kingston you from? If it's the Kingston by London (oh how I love the Peel! On how I love the Works! my love is like a firebomb in the early hours of the morning), then best get yourself up to one of the London Workshops sharpish!

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
If you've got decent access to the internet then get downloading spinning clips, they've been a constant source of inspiration to me.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

AchluophobiaBRONZE Member
Magical Sock Dancer
255 posts

Posted:
Lots of great free lesons online. Aren't the video's in the free lessons page on this site from the Art of Poi moive?

cicatrixmember
32 posts

Posted:
--and if you're from Kingston ON, let me know if you're ever coming out to Quebec

'share and enjoy'

Stubbsmember
31 posts

Posted:
Seriously? Because I'll probably be visiting Montreal in, like, a month.

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone.

cicatrixmember
32 posts

Posted:
Kick ass! drop me a line closer to the day, we'll spin in the park.

'share and enjoy'