Forums > Help! > Denatured alcohol?

Login/Join to Participate

Dr. Sallymember
5 posts

Posted:
just occured to me
i use it for fondue. but what about poi?
anyone know anythign about it?
before i go out and try some random fuel i dont know about?

The ever-lementabal Dr. Sallly

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I'd stick with white gas, personally. Alchol is a mess and if you pour water on it, the fire just gets bigger.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
It also flames out easier as far as I can tell.

but you can dissove boric acid in it and get cool green flames. But that is best for fire fingers or fans.

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

bansheemember
32 posts

Posted:
ok. i tried mixing a SPRAY roach killer and paint stripper together, but i didn't get a green flame. I got a bright orange flame that was outlined in bright blue when i was spinning. am i supposed to use a powder form of boric acid when mixing it? when i looked at my mixture....it actually looked like salt was at the bottom of the paint stripper, so i'm guessing it didn't mix well. is paint thinner any better than paint stripper?

I walk the line-- alien sex fiend

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Wow. You guys are going to kill someone.

If you want information on Boric Acid or Denatured Alcohol do a search.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
I agree with NYC...Banshee, do you know what sort of toxic fumes you are breathing in with these 'backyard' mixes?

Yikes, i hope you don't plan on having children later in life.

Sorry if that sounds harsh, but boric acid in it's own has a whole list of health issues associated wiht it and it's combusted smoke.

Roach killer...you gotta be kidding us, its a joke right?

Please tell me its a joke

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
a wise man once said "whatever doesn't kill you may well cripple ya for life!!"
no wait, i am neither wise nor am i a man
....yet!
:reaches for hormone pills:

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

bansheemember
32 posts

Posted:
Answer: No... i don't plan on having children. and let's not get on the whole boric acid being toxic for you AGAIN.........people went round and round THAT topic many many times........i just had a question about the boric acid powder vs. spray form. if people get green flames with the powder form. that's my question. also - i do have a nasty case of asthma, so if that kicks in while i'm spinning i'll be sure to kick the habit. - jac.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
BANSHEE: Take the spray roach killer that you used. READ the ingredients. Does it say BORIC ACID? NO!!!

Spray roach killer contains a totally different type of toxin.

You are lighting things on fire having NO clue what's in them or what's not.

You are really going to hurt someone.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

wan hwo renmember
86 posts

Posted:
I realize that boric acid does not produce the nicest fumes to say the least , but at least it works and produces pretty green flames. I personally think it is worthwhile once in a while - not often though. I appreciate your thoughtfulness on the toxicity of it NYC, but will you please tell me the chemical composition of it so that I can try to find it here in Taiwan without resorting to the mysterious and scary roach poison available here. Thanks!

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I'm not commenting on Boric Acid wan. That's my point. Spray roach killer doesn't have boric acid in it. But to answer your question... I'm pretty sure it's:

H3BO3

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Banshee said
quote:
i just had a question about the boric acid powder vs. spray form.
Well, yeah, that might have been your question, but it also might have suggested to other people that they shoudl mix roach killer and paint stripper to get pretty coloured flames.

Do you know about the toxicity of what you are doing, both from splatter, fumes and burnt smoke?

Do you know how safe that mixture is in reference to it's flashpoint? Do you know what to do if someone drinks it? Or someone's pet has a drink?

Please please please, don't put up fuels or mixes or anything on this site unless you've thoroughly researched them, with MSDS sheets. It could encourage lurkers or other people to use that fuel and their deaths, or maiming or other's deaths could be caused by your comments.

PS, I would NEVER use anything that has the word KILLER in it anyway. Let alone mix it with other substances.

Sometimes the pretty coloured flames are worth a lot less than than your future health.

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

bansheemember
32 posts

Posted:
Yikes......definitely don't like the vibes in this "conversation." i'll just add that the air i breathe every day is pretty toxic. sure hope that doesn't kill me first.

bansheemember
32 posts

Posted:
p.s. the roach spray i have is in chinese...didn't know what to look for as far as boric acid content is concerned. if you happen to know what the characters are or just what the "radicals" are for boric acid in chinese - please feel free to share. at least i now know what the chemical composition is - that should help some!!!! THANKS!

[ 05. June 2003, 17:28: Message edited by: banshee ]