Forums > Help! > getting paraffin out of clothes - please help!

Login/Join to Participate

sunbeamSILVER Member
old hand
1,032 posts

Posted:
Emergency!

I made some people come out and play with me and now they're moaning that the paraffin won't come out of their clothes.

Any advice welcome - I really don't want it to put them off and it'd be great to tell them how to get it off if there is a way.

Thanks

"I don't take drugs. I am drugs" - Salvador Dali

sunny

polytheneveteran
1,359 posts

Posted:
There are a couple of threads already, but not under paraffin. Do a search for KEROSENE smell, there's a couple of good ones.

The optimist claims that we are living in the best of all possible worlds.
The pessimist fears this is true.

Always make time to play in the snow.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
please don't hate me for this - i'm really not taking the piss here.

can't they just put them in a washing machine...?

i use cotton clothing when i spin fire. i used to spin in dirty old clothes (for painting and whatever) and often got both paraffin and black soot on my clothes.
nowdays i spin in whatever i happen to be wearing (i always ensure its not synthetic fibres though) but still hit myslef now and again and get showered from spin-offs.

i just use persil non-bio tablets (and ace bleach when required) and it seems to do the trick every time.

unless your friends were wearing silk shirts and satin pantaloons, the fuel should wash straight out (if not first time then at worst after a couple of washes).

maybe suggest they spin in some old clothes next time?

coleman x (domesticated since 1999)

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

BamBamPooh-Bah
1,810 posts

Posted:
I'm getting flashbacks of Small Boy's shirt being on fire

Me

A kiss blown is a kiss wasted, the only kind of kiss is a kiss tasted.

I'm a woman. We don't say what we want, but we reserve the right to be pissed off if we don't get it. That's what makes us so fascinating and not just a LITTLE bit scary.

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
I also have no problems washing it out of cotton clothes in a washing machine, and i used crappy/flakey Ecover, which has about as much cleaning power as the amount of matching socks i own.

sunbeamSILVER Member
old hand
1,032 posts

Posted:
cheers guys

i will print this up for them so they know how silly they are

i don't care about the smell - i LOVE the smell of paraffin anyway and I agree, it usually comes out with a couple of washes I just wanted some back-up so thanks for providing my defence!!

"I don't take drugs. I am drugs" - Salvador Dali

sunny

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
i just buy new clothes..

or go naked.

dR pSYcHoSILVER Member
88 posts

Posted:
Burn them!! (the clothes not the people.... Well your choice )

fire...mmmmmmmmm

taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco Damn those MexICan BANdits taco taco taco taco TACOFICATION taco taco taco taco taco taco

KajiQuantum Theorist
564 posts

Posted:
um whats wrong with the kero smell? I smell kero and i start to drool....

In the 60's people took acid to make the world weird, now the world is weird and they take prozac to make it normal again.

flokiGOLD Member
183 posts

Posted:
granny tries to explain in her bad english : you have to put a towl between the clothing-piece and the iron ... the wax (if you mean this with parrafine) will mellt and be taken up by the towl ... give it a try ... think it should work out ... and for the next time they should be more carefull ... SUCCES !

dj_gooseSunburnt Bournda Beach Bum
157 posts

Posted:
The parrafin is a liquid, i used it all last year to breathe fire with, i can just imagine trying to spurt a lump of wax out of my mouth hoping to make an explosion. It always seems to be the way that u never spill the shit on old clothes but always on the ones u have just bought, which i think just serves me right for being a smart arse and wearing new clothes to breathe fire. To get it out, just leave it to soak overnight in a water, detergent mix and then stick it in the washing machine. Generally does the job. Cheers

Look to the moon, look to the stars, and if you still can't find happyness...find a bar!!!

PsyriSILVER Member
artisan
1,576 posts

Posted:
Tht sounds like my purchasing of new clothes tht I put in my nicley unknown soaked bag... of paraffin... I'm getting used to smelling like this... lol
I do take showers and I do have a washing machine but I cant avoid the stuff. lol

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Ok, ok, so you guys can get it out of your clothes.

how do you get sooty finger smudges off cream coloured wallpaper?

(not that I have any reason to ask this, i just thought it might continue the thread a bit more...)

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

157 posts

Posted:
beleive it or not just use some butter, it works for everything. clothing, hands, faces, whateva

Look to the moon, look to the stars, and if you still can't find happyness...find a bar!!!

BurningByronmember
340 posts

Posted:
or peanutbutter for extra stubborn stains!

HOW TO FLY 101:
step 1. Throw your self at the ground.
step 2. Miss.

PsyriSILVER Member
artisan
1,576 posts

Posted:
Old wives remedies... lovely, like tht crap I heard abt putting cling film oon minor burns. lol
Yeah how do u get sooty marks out of you figernails may I add, I mean like really bad? I cant get rid of it and its putting the customers off.
And I'll moan abt getting soot on my art work 2! ARGH!

157 posts

Posted:
I am being serious....use butter and then some hot water to get it off....how could u not trust this face???????

Sir_Sheepold hand
725 posts

Posted:
quote:
or go naked
Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

Spoiling Christmas for small children since 2003.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Bump looking for new info.

Our paraffin stove leaked in the trailer on the way back from play.

Lots of our stuff now stinks of Paraffin frown

They have been through the wash already and all still stink.

Is it simply a question of rewashing everything until the smell is gone?

Written by: Sir_Sheep

Written by: ucof

or go naked

Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

Dont worry, I wasnt talking to you nana wink

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
Doesnt it evaporate? I'd try leaving it in the sun for a day and see how that works.

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
unfortuantly, you are then making it a concentrated smell. The chemically bits in paraffin just stick/ get absorbed into the fibres in the clothes and the water in the paraffin evaporates.

Or so I think If anyone knows otherwise, please tell smile

xjereBRONZE Member
38 posts

Posted:
We had a bucket last year with a baking soda/water mix for getting the stuff off our skin. Came in handy when doing 10 shows a weekend, and maybe this could translate into clothing as well.

Also since paraffin is a petrol product, washing it with only water can sometimes feel like... dare I say it... mixing oil and water wink

Who wants to see a monkey on fire?

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Ive tried the baking soda idea, I think that might have worked.
I'll go sniff the items deeply and see if I faint smile

xjereBRONZE Member
38 posts

Posted:
Glad I could help beerchug

Who wants to see a monkey on fire?

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
Erm, no, you're wrong. Paraffin *is* the chemical bit of paraffin (like water is the chemical bit of water). It's made by distillation of oil, which means it evaporates at a certain temperature and then is cooled and caught in a big tub and sold to spinners.

So if you put the offending articles in the sun for a while, most of the smell should go out. I put a smelly bit of paraffini-soaked leather on the heating in winter one year, and it was fine after half a day. Baking soda is unlikely to help much I think.

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half