Forums > Help! > Stick up for myself

Login/Join to Participate

sea gypsyBRONZE Member
51 posts

Posted:
I'm only a Poi beginner, but I'm alright.
I was recently told all Poi moves look the same.
I want a defence,
is there any move I'd be able to master that would look different to what I do already?

...never just an ordinary girl.

Lajisticalmember
9 posts

Posted:
maybe who ever told you this is upset cause they can not figure out how to do what most spinner's do?!?!?!?!?!?!?! pay no mind to them and you will find your groove, i myself are still looking for mine have fun!!!!!!!!!

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Don't sweat it, Sea Gypsy. That person was saying much more about themsleves than they were about poi.

Don't let them put their limited perspective on you, they aren't worth it!

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

sea gypsyBRONZE Member
51 posts

Posted:
Thanks for all the encouragement.
I confess that it is someone who's opinion I care about deeply. I know there is a world of moves beyond the ones on the Poi pages, is there something easy I could try?

ZoltarBRONZE Member
Beginner
282 posts

Posted:
It all just looks like circles of light to non-spinners.

So much fire, so little body hair...

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
I disagree Zoltar, if you spin fast the whole time then the intricicies (sp?) of some moves are lost but there are so much more than just circles to non-spinners.
Slow things down and moves live "Chasing the Sun" actually looks like two flames chasing each other, "Giant" moves - Giant Butterfly, giant windmill etc - really look impressive, then all the horizontal plane things; corkscrews, overhead butterfly, bring another pattern into the display.
Stalls and wraps all mess about with the patterns created.
Maybe at first, when a beginner's learning, all they are doing is butterfly for a while, then a weave, then some turns, it can just seem like circles - but for me the key to a good performance is transitions, never staying in the same pattern for too long.

I agree that a few moves are really for the benefit of spinners and won't really impress non-spinners; 7 or 9 beat weaves for example. However if someone thinks all poi moves look the same, like circles, I'd suggest they'd seen quite a static performance.

A while back there was a really nice video posted - something along the lines of combining Tai Chi with poi. The performer was good, not amasing, but good - but what really made it a fascinating performance was the way they played with the timing, the speed, the size of circles, it all looked really nice.

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
That's like saying all dancing looks the same because you're just moving your body. It's sort of true but a bit silly.

Obviously it all looks like people spinning fire on the end of a long chain.

Different dancers dance differently but they're still 'just' dancing.

And wraps look pretty darn different too...

Any object manipulation is going to be limited by the constraints of the object and the limitations of the user.

It sounds like a silly comment though frankly. I think you've got deeper friendship issues than the similarity of poi spinning.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

King Of Bongoaddict
522 posts

Posted:
nah, with poi its all the same & looks the same...
now staff on the other hand...

"runs away before any object within reach is thrown in his direction"

jus kiddin

but I'd just suggest you give the person who said that to you a big knowing smile and say as mysteriously/mischievously as you can:

"Well, of course it would to you..."

Your life is ending one minute at a time...
So live it.

sea gypsyBRONZE Member
51 posts

Posted:
Thanks.
I get it.
It's not so simple as you're making out,
but then it is in a way.
I'll keep practicing, getting a bit fed up with hitting myself on the head at the moment, trying to keep the windmill going.

Have you ever read Laurie Lee's Two women? Or looked at the photography?

nah...this will turn it into a social discussion, and I'm in the technical bit right? I get confused... only new, and soaked in Chlorine right now.
Thank you again
Byee

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
What 'things in general' look like to people varies greatly and saying something like;

"All Poi moves look the same"

is a perfectly valid *opinion* for that person.

You can argue that the body movements are quite different and that there is a variety of different things you can do, but you cant *prove* that all poi moves look different *to that person* cuz its a matter of opinion.

Id say that that person has other issues tho. Are they a juggler by any chance? I've met some jugglers that dont have much respect for Poi who have opinions like that.

If they dont like to watch you poi, tell them to go find something they do enjoy watching and leave your enjoyment of poi alone. Sounds like you are having to justify your interest in poi to this person, and I think that if this person says they care about you while degrading your poi experience then they are being a shit. why would they want to reduce your enjoyment of something healthy like poi?

I had a fiery friend once who started going out with a guy who wasnt into fire twirling. She was really good with a beautiful feminine style, but he told her she shouldnt do it cuz she wasnt good enough, so she felt bad and eventually stopped. Now she never twirls...such a waste - but the biggest pity is that it used to give her a lot of pleasure til her SO made her feel bad about it. He was controlling in many ways this was just one.

Josh

sea gypsyBRONZE Member
51 posts

Posted:
it was my father

and I know I'm old enough to know better now...but...
it's a case of unrequited daddie's little girl!

HOP Newsletter