Forums > Help! > Making fire poi..climbing carabeener vs. other options

Login/Join to Participate

Fire Mamamember
53 posts

Posted:
Hey folks
I'm making a bunch of fire poi right now and have experimented with using a climbing clamp(carabeener or something...don't know how to spell it or if It's even the right word for the bit but some of you may get my drift) to quickly attach and detach different types of wick to my chains......eg, go from practice poi to kevlar wick...to glowsticks..to black light thingy's. Any comments on how these have worked for any of you? Have they been strong and reliable. What other suggestions are floating around this zone??? Chain as well....any preferences on type?

Thru meditation I program my heart to beat break beats and hum bass lines on exhilation....

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
the only problems I have found with using carabineer type thingos is that they can lock together when spinning - that is you might smash your poi togehter and viola the poi are both joined! and if they are lit - then that can cause you a few problems.

I use D clips that are screw closed. I know others here use different connectors though, so you should get a range of answers.

spritieSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,014 posts

Posted:
I have carabeeners on my practice set of poi. I can say that so far they have held up just fine (had them for 2 years). However, as Ade mentioned, they do hook together on occassion - but only when I really mess up. I'd say they aren't the best solution for fire poi.

For my fire poi, I use quick links as the connectors which has a screw closure (they may be the same as a D link, I don't know). Those work really well. One thing you have to be sure of though is before you go to dunk them that the screw is shut nice and tight or else your poi can go flying off into the audience at some point.

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
I was thinking of using big ones for the handles, then I can go instant metior!

if your gonna have them on the bottom then use the screw-gat ones, but they are so big and strong its a serious case of overdesign. Use d-lings and make shure theyre tight each time.

N?

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

_Stix_Pooh-Bah
2,419 posts

Posted:
I built up quite a good relationship with my local fishing shop.. in the heavy duty big assed fish catching section there are quite a few different links and clips for easy and quick detatchment..

I've onlu done a little rumagin.. but found that swivels and pike spit rings do me fine.. there are also little kinda safety pins types thingie with swivles on one end - they are funky.. but a bit fiddly .. need nimble fingers.. as they are small I don't get them locking together..

I found that the quicklinks always came undone for me.. many a poi launched across the grass coz the flipping thing had come undone.. but I think that was only coz I couldn't screw them up tight enuf coz of my hands aren't very strong..

I honour you as an aspect of myself..

You are never to old to storm a bouncey castle..

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
I find they are to big and chunky. Quick links are the handiest thing you can use.

Fire Mamamember
53 posts

Posted:
Thanks for the tips folks!
Gonna experiment with the quick links and see how it goes. Now..I'm going the route of wrapping the kevlar around alumininum tubing and fastening with screws. At the top I envision 2 holes with some sort of do-hikky thing thru them so as I can attach my quick link and my fishing swivel. What can this do-hicky be, other than a key ring...and if I go the key ring route is there such thing as a super heavy duty one???Where would I find this gem? Thanks everyone for all the hints. I'm up to my neck in little bit and peices!! Please help me to find my do-hicky.

Thru meditation I program my heart to beat break beats and hum bass lines on exhilation....

squarefishSILVER Member
(...trusty steed of the rodeo midget...)
403 posts

Posted:
With regard to your do-hickey,
I've been through a number of different types. Key rings just don't cut it, they are fine at the start but repeated heating (from the flame) and cooling (from dunking in fuel)will cause them to loose their stiffness, causing them to uncurl. Your first sign of this happening is usually when they fly off and bonk some bystander in the head.
the best ive had are ones I've made myself using 3mm mild steel rod, it takes some time but the results are worth it.
what you want is basicaly a triangle sitting on top of a rectangle, with the bottom of the rectangle going through the tube (leave large enough holes for the tube to swing freely) and the top of the triangle holding the connector (screw type D-rings are best)Bend this all out of one single piece of steel.
Weld the triangle shut. use a MIG welder or get your local friendly mechanic to do it, or your brother if he's doing metal shop in school.
leave one side of the rectangle open, slip the tube onto it, now bend the final side up, weld closed, cut off the excess and voila- totally firm and majorly secure.
Use mild steel tube instead of aluminium, it doesn't melt so easy, think I'm kidding? I'm not!
also: hammer a piece of dry wood into the tube as far up as your srews will be penetrating across, this gives them something solid to "bite" into. The wood will absorb a very small amount of fuel, swell slightly and give you the most solid kick-ass poi on the block.

better stop now or I'll start to give away some really important secrets!

Fire Mamamember
53 posts

Posted:
Hi squarefish!
You've awakened a whole different part of my brain in all that. Thanks a bunch for the tips and the whole world of creating your own do-hicky. Now...give me all you secrets!! No, really...I guess the steel tube would be available at my local hardware-mart?...and there are a plethora of welders on this island so I'd have no problem there. This may be the route I'm looking for. I have seen too many balls of fire fly off too many chains in the past. My mission is to make fire poi that are absolutely secure and safe. I'ma check out this. Tell me about the wood though....is it completely safe to have wood at all involved in the fire head? Please explain so I can wrap my head around it. Thanks again...

Fire Mamamember
53 posts

Posted:
O.k..one more question...I spaced it out earlier.
How difficult is it to drill thru mild steel tube? Does it require any tool different than a power drill? I'm a bit ignorant about the world of tools (and computers ) so please enlighten me.
Cheers!

Thistleold hand
950 posts

Posted:
Hi Fire Mama Although some people like them I don't use tube core wicks. I love cathedral wicks because they burn brighter and for longer. They're really safe and easy to make because there's no need for welding or drilling. All you need is , 2x eyebolts 4 x nuts 4 x washers and 6 feet of kevlar wick an adjustable spanner and a sharp hacksaw (to saw off the long end of the eyebolt once construction is complete).

More info on wick types here

Are we nearly there yet?

Fire Mamamember
53 posts

Posted:
Thanks much for the tip! I'll check it out!

shoddygoodsmember
18 posts

Posted:
hey all,
i have a similar question pertaining to the use of split rings / key rings.
i understand that many people try discourage the use of split rings, due to the fact that over repeated use they anneal (become soft) and then straiten out (in the process whipping a firey orb out tward the bystanders. )

My question is this, just what split rings are being used?
Most of the key rings i've come across are made of plated brass. Brass if i remember correctly anneals around 500 deg ( which it would seem likely they could reach that temperature ) While stainless steel anneals at around 1800 deg ( which would seem a safe temperature distance )
Has anyone really tried to use a stainless split ring?
I just put together my very first set of poi using SS split rings, are they really likely to give out on me? I've used them for other things without the heat issue and these suckers are tough. I have torn up several brass rings by catching my wallet chain while running past something sticking out. So i tried the stainless ones, which have never bent up ( actually, i tore the side out of my pants last time i got caught Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr )

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
If you are going to use carabiners, do make sure to use a locking carabiner, rather than a regular carabiner. Sucks to throw a fire head in the middle of a show. Really ruins your rhythm.

Oh, and it could burn down the whole world.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

Fire Mamamember
53 posts

Posted:
What about fishing swivels folks.......do we like them? I'v never played with a set that have swivels on them...is It really preferable? If so...are the fishing swivels strong enough...and what to attach it to the quick link besides a mini key link in stainless steel(I've seen these at the fishing shop).

Thanks for all the great advice. I'm a try to make a few different types of fire poi. Just looking for the most secure options.....