Forums > Help! > Flame retardant spray etc???

Login/Join to Participate

ASTRO FAERIEBRONZE Member
ummmmmmm.............
724 posts

Posted:
Just wondered if anyone in the uk knows of where i can buy flame retardant spray and the like.
I live just outside Sheffield, so if anyone in this area knows that would be really helpful, ta!.

Only when the last tree has died
and the last river has been poisoned
and the last fish has been caught
will we realise that we
cannot eat money.

Cree Indian, 1909

PyroDocsmember
2 posts

Posted:
For that matter where are good sources of flame retardant spray in the US?

PyroDocs

woodymember
99 posts

Posted:
Look up your local sound and light supplier/hire place in the Yellow pages. Anywhere that hires stage equipment should have flame retardant spray.

Luv and Lemons.WoodyMrs Jaypher said, 'It's saferIf you've lemons in your head;First to eat, a pound of meat,And then to go at once to bed.

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Most of these sprays that I've looked into aren't really recommended for clothing or anyhting that has prolonged contat with skin.

There's always been a lot of controversey surrounding them too, many people, even those in pyrotechnics and firefighting don't feel that make an appreciable difference in the field, only in tightly controlled lab conditions.

I tend towards believing that side of the arguement too.

Otherwise, wouldn't they be widely available at K-Mart and used more extensively? I'm not actually being a devil's advocate here, but it never can hurt can it?

All in my opinion, of course...

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
i'd ask rob but he aint home, you can reach him via rob@tepooka.org we have loads in the office that we use on costumes and stuff and beltaine fire society use the same stuff too, no idea where they buy it from or how much, but it might be worth dropping a line to him.

Kevmember
83 posts

Posted:
Remember reading a post about some fire retardant liquid that you could soak clothes in before performances that apparently worked pretty well. Try the search function?

- Honk if you love peace and quiet!

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
what you mean water?

automaticforthepeopleGOLD Member
Obama supporter
32 posts

Posted:
Here is information on where to purchase fire retardant sprays for natural and synthetic fabrics:

UK and Europe:
Try FireCheck spray, made in the UK
(see https://www.mslfirecheck.com . tel (+44)1524-844099)
They ship to most countries. It is fire retardant, and works on many synthetic and natural fibers

USA:
Or, if you're in the USA, try FlameX fireretardant spray
(see https://www.natfire.com/products.html , tel (+1) 815-634-8717)
-- call them and make sure to order the right spray, as they offer several kinds with different properties. Most of their fireretardant sprays work on many synthetic and natural fibers

Please note:

*Neither FireCheck nor FlameX makes fabrics fire proof. They are fire retardant sprays; they retard - but do not entirely prevent - fire.

*You must test the spray on the fiber(s) you are using. Different fibers give different results. If the fabric in question does not absorb liquid, there is little chance that the sprays will work.

*There is a possibility that the sprays will discolor the fabric(s) you are using. Again, try the sprays on a sample.

*Take 2 small samples of the fabric(s) in question. Burn one with a lighter. See what happens and how long it takes. Then, treat the other fabric with the spray, and do the same test, under the same conditions, with the same lighter. See if it works.

Spin safe, and be well.

Michael

"The storm it came up strong,
and shook the trees,
and blew away our fear."

-R.E.M. "Half a World Away"

insanecircusGOLD Member
stranger
12 posts

Posted:
in australia bunnings carries a multi pourpose fire retardant spray, very ureful

try not to think of gravity as a law, rather as one of many options

David Schniderstranger
1 post

Posted:
try these flame retardant fabric spray CA

AlexDGOLD Member
Elemental Spinner
30 posts

Posted:
try amazon.com

"Thats what"
—She

Man_in_the_maskBRONZE Member
specializes in the potentially insane
130 posts

Posted:
when i was living with my aunt and uncle and they saw the occassional burn my uncle suggested a product plumbers use on surrounding materials for when they're brazing to keep studs, drywall and insulation from burning up. never got around to trying it out so idk if it irritates the skin or poses any health hazards though from working with him for some money on the side i know it does a good job at keeping things cool. idk if it's anything worth looking into

would strongly suggest looking into finding an MSDS and doing a considerable ammount of research

"We all wear masks, and the time comes when we cannot remove them without removing some of our own skin..."