Forums > Help! > Purchasing Fire poi...

Login/Join to Participate

PsyriSILVER Member
artisan
1,576 posts

Posted:
Any advice 2 give? I've chececked a bit out abt fuels but I could do with various opinions.

WintermuteLost in the world but loving it :)
119 posts

Posted:
I'll make you some if you like, otherwise the ones HOP sell are pretty lush and there are loads of places in the uk.......

But mine are nice

If fishes were wishes we'd all cast nets

PsyriSILVER Member
artisan
1,576 posts

Posted:
I dont know much so I'll listen 2 others...

ZoltarBRONZE Member
Beginner
282 posts

Posted:
The ones in the HOP shop are fantastic value.

It's not hard to make your own, but you do need to have some tools and a little bit of practical ability.

Small poi = small flame, short burn time & light weight -> good for learner
Big poi = big flame, long burn time & heavy weight-> better for experienced users

The choice between cable and chain rages on, but IMHO chain is much less dangerous

So much fire, so little body hair...

PsyriSILVER Member
artisan
1,576 posts

Posted:
Right I'll try small... at least I dont hit myself round the head anymore. lol

erkiemember
11 posts

Posted:
hiya
I bought ball chain ones with small heads and double finger loops. I've only burned them a few times but love them totally. They sure beat the tennis balls I was using before. I would love to make a pair that I can swap with my tennis balls or glow sticks but I get confused wioth the laguage peopel us. What i need is some lovley person to make me a pair

have fun
erkie

*** and then there was light ***

Chimeramember
35 posts

Posted:
I'm new to fire poi too.
Question: What's the difference between small poi and big poi?
I have a set of cable fire poi (although it seems that most people here prefer ball chain... I'll have to look into that). They seem fairly heavy but I've actually found them easier to spin than my practice poi. I feel like the lighter poi requires too much effort. Maybe I just got used to the heavier poi or maybe I'm just lazy.

As far as fuel goes I mostly use plain old kerosene. I've also tried lamp oil and never got that to work but I may have been doing something wrong. Also I've only tried the lamp oil on juggling torches so that may make a difference.
[edit to remove one possibly hazardous suggestion]

[ 24. May 2003, 05:52: Message edited by: Chimera ]