Forums > Help! > Liquid dance instructions

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
Dan25000member
8 posts

Posted:
Can anyone give me some instructions on how to liquid dance, i totally suck at it. i've been trying it for a long time, without anything to help me, no instructions, nothing. can someone guide me to a really good website, or give me some instructions, and give me a link to a place where i can buy an instructional video. i saw it on some website before but i lost the name of it, the video looked really good. so can someone please help me out? thanks!

Dan

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
https://www.gscforum.com/main.php

Personally i think that anything which draws attention towards my retarded dancing is a BAD thing, not good!

rftekmember
101 posts

Posted:
dan25000: https://www.reflective.net/
is liquid pop collective, that might be what your thinking of. they have a video out, which i haven't seen, as i understand the focus was instructional liquid & digits.

advice for learning liquid:
#1 go to parties/electronic music appreciation events ; ) talk to the people there and watch. osmosis.
#2 download videos and watch, rewatch. especially the one on kazaa by "liquid eric" it starts with him in front of a arcade game, then cuts to a party scene. very good stuff there.
#3 most important, practice! work on your figure eight using just your fingertips. thats going to be the heart of the liquid. poi helped my liquid so much.

oh yeah, and always dance like no ones watching.

peace

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
I've been trying to learn this style too - mainly the footwork for my contact juggling.
The Reflective forum rftek mentioned above is a great source for tutorials and links to videos.

The only advice I can really give is find a full length mirror and be prepared to put in the hours!

I've been working on it for about 2 months now and it's only *just* starting to come together...

I personally put Eric's standards waaaaaaaaaaaaaay out of what I'll ever be able to achieve

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

rftekmember
101 posts

Posted:
durbs:
what kind of footwork have you been working out?
when i liquid i tend to do lots of shuffles/slide walking? hmm, eric has really been my inspiration, something i can watch anytime at the house and get some ideas off of.

liquid is something you can practice for a minute in the elevator, in front of the bathroom mirror at school, anywhere. try to capture that flow and don't worry about what people might think.

peace

matt

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Yeah, just the basics really:
Back & Side glides, a bit of floating.
Nothing too fancy - I'm CJ'ing at the same time so it's quite a bit to think about

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

rftekmember
101 posts

Posted:
whew, CJ'ng is really cool too. i find the hand motions have a good bit in common. is there a good forum out there for deep CJ discussion?
ok, that sounds a bit funny...
you know what i mean.

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
not really - contactjuggling.org has a message board thing, but it's horrible to use and difficult to keep track of

Here's not a bad place in the "Other Toys" section - there are some V good CJ'ers on the site I believe...

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

rftekmember
101 posts

Posted:
dan25000:
so hows your liquid coming along? i did some practicing today outside. i forgot all my toys and had some free time (and lots of energy from sitting on my ass for hours studying). thats one nice thing about liquid, you don't need anything to practice. it helps a lot to have music (i didn't), some kind of feedback--this time it was shadows on the ground. the "best" is a video camera going to a tv, a mirror or shadows are almost as good.

dance like no ones watching!

matt

Dan25000member
8 posts

Posted:
i've been liquid dancing lately more... but i still have seen any good results yet, thanks everyone!

i8beefy2GOLD Member
addict
674 posts

Posted:
Liquid dancing is the only dancing I can actually do... must be because its so much upperbody and doesnt REQUIRE a whole lot of feet movement

I actually learned by... uh, well I read somewhere once that it's really easy to get the flow when on a hallucinagenic substance... I mean I picked it up in one night.

To throw a little extra into it, try experiementing with switching mid-stream between your fingers all together (Like a Karate chop) and letting each finger move independantly. If your good enough you can pretend theres a ball on the end of each finger, so its like 5-ball energy dancing I guess... the added movement looks cool I think when you start going fast... When I start going really fast with it, I throw my whole upper body and arms into the fray.

Here's a tip: The hand movements for the weave in poi are strikingly similar to the figure 8.

Oh, and take two ciggarettes, and grip them between the base of your fingers on each hand and do it in the dark. Or take sparklers, and tie one around one finger on each hand and do it. See you can add fire to anything.

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
tai chi. aikido. belly dance. indian dance. salsa/meringue. ANY dance that has "flow" will contribute to your own dance style's growth.

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

laykstamember
6 posts

Posted:
hi everyone

i've been liquid popping here in oz for about 2 years now on and off. Reflective.net is the home of the Liquid Pop Collective as you already know. it really is a great source to talk about all sorts of issues with liquid or popping(as they are 2 TOTALLY different elements).
With liquid, the ultimate thing to remember is that it is a dance, and therefore uses the whole body. the effect is lost if you stand stil and move your hands in a figure 8 in front of your chest! Maybe try any of the dancing styles above mentioned or dancing with footwork only for a while before you incorporate you arms etc. the LPC have an instructional vid out called Liquid and Digitz. I bought a copy when it first came out, its good quality and very helpful with learning the liquid lingo and seeing some nice tight freestyles of the group. I recommend to get yer hands on that vid, and watch as many clips as you can.
my tip: when i first started, i spent a few months whenver i was waiting at traffic lights, queues etc putting my hands together in a prayer position then imagining about a 3 inch string between your middle fingers. Move one hand upwards sliding up the palm of the other curling your fingers over like they were following that connected string. do that back and forth for a few months then use that flow all thru your body!

man i miss www.shaddupanddance.com !!

heads up to all liquid heads! come and dance with me here in Brisbane! i get lonely! hehe

layka.x

Find your rhythm and step to it.

skjalffmember
33 posts

Posted:
OK, you do not need Popping, its maad retarded (stupid rap dancing) now liquid even thow originating fronm popping is different story, look at that.

The concept behing liquid is 1. fingers stay "connected" whatever you do (with exceptions as needed, if it looks good) that is they always point at each other. takes curling palms in a weird way, that you wouldn't do for aything else really, therefore it takes practice to get it.

2 A BIG one: Figure 8, pretty much a vertical 8 traced out by your hands, the precise motion of windmill poi move .. (i think its called windmill hmm) except there is finger work involved,(fingers look at each other all the time, except for the middle of 8, the interception, where you just need to figure out what to do :-))) since there are various ways of going about it.

3. Body wave (feel liquid, learn to let your body wave)

4. Gliding (footwork) the lines are your feet, regard dots as just blank spaces, so, here it is, the oversimplified, but nonetheless informative version: of gliding:
1. .|...|
2. .|...\
3. |.../
4. |...\
5. et cetra
hem.. if you know what I mean

5. LOADS OF PRACTICE, several hours a day, which means, you need to be passionate about it, make it your goal, want to feel it. Otherwise all the above is utterly useless as liquid cannot really be taught

best regards,

skjalff

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by skjalff:
OK, you do not need Popping, its maad retarded (stupid rap dancing)

watch detours.

saying liquid doesn't require popping will surely just serve to limit your dancing?

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

laykstamember
6 posts

Posted:
each to their own i guess.

just remember: "liquid" is originally derived from that retarted rap dancing - waving/gliding/body isolation etc.

i think it makes you a better dancer to realise the roots of the moves.

aren't Detours the BOMB!?

layka.x

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
"Ain't nobody here the best b-boy and aint nobody who invented nuffin'.
We just manifesting shit at a different time."

Knowing and having respect for your roots is good thing heh.

Elsewhere on detours wow, no, WOW

I reckon good popping is the schatz

Oneday...

Glass

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
How about 14th December? That's a nice day...

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

skjalffmember
33 posts

Posted:
I daresay I know my roots, I know my moves and sure as all f*** I can dance. Pure popping (rapper chopping whattever) has little to do with actual modern liquid or liquid raving, popping is more like sickly broken doll moves (ok, liquid broken doll moves :-))), while 8-base (fig8 based) liquid reminds more of martial arts, than of anything.

popping (not Liquid Pop, which is a hybrid) was, stays and is always doomed to be a rap music dance.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
wasn't body popping just a part of break dance to begin with?

as was liquid?

imho, i'd say they're two sides of the same dance.
liquid is how you move in between popping.
a pop is just a direction change or a freeze.

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

skjalffmember
33 posts

Posted:
the liquid arm/hand work was not a part of breakdancing, at least for the majority of breakdancers. ...may be popping was/is, not sure.
popping is about motion of the whole body and liquid is about shape/form produced mainly by hands, its footwork can be rather detached, and I have never heard of any breakdancers doing figure 8s before getting down.

laykstamember
6 posts

Posted:
i believe the keyword is "derived".

anyway, its probably something you'd be able to better understand talking on https://www.mrwiggleshiphop.net/

or the afore mentioned reflective site for starters.

breath deep

layka.x

_VT_SILVER Member
Your Face!
1,173 posts

Posted:
You might also try watching some of the video's at www.houseofrave.com

Heroism on command, senseless violence, and all the loathsome nonsense that goes by the name of patriotism - how passionately I hate them!
-Albert Einstein-

Peanut butter... It fills the cracks of the soul! -Paul Blart-

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
*BUMP* (For mech)

And I'll add a couple of links
www.liquidpopcollective.com
www.reflective.net (Go to forums)

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

GottaLoveItSponge
883 posts

Posted:
Juggling With a Twist

Some videos of glowstick liquid moves

Monkeys monkeys and bananas

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Hmmm - Liquid dancing is very different to the glowsticking moves there.

The "Liquid Dancing" as done by Eric in that video that everyone seems to have is *possibly* called Liquid Popping - although when he (and others of course) are doing it, they incorporate a lot of other dance styles.

Predominantly, "liquid" is about flow i.e. creating the illusion of a wave or move going through your body - whether this is hand flow, arm waves, body waves etc etc. There's little footwork in pure liquid dancing, however it does lend itself very nicely to lots of foot techniques such as gliding, saccin (Sacremento) and floats.

Most (99%) of the liquid dancing I've seen hasn't used glowsticks... I think they're generally frowned upon by the dancers as candy-raver toys, used to cover up bad dancing as a distraction technique.

In the video section of the reflective forums there's lots of great videos to download, likewise off the LPC site - these are all "proper" liquid dancing going by the standard nomenclature (Ooooooooooo I've always wanted to use that word smile )

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
A great learner video is done by a guy called Bitsmart - it just shows you the basic moves which are the foundations of good liquid.
You can get it on soulseek quite easily - especially in the Popping room it's called "bitsmart - liquid primer.wmv"

He's a great dancer as shown in his freestyle clip HERE with some very nice gliding too.

ditto This is what I would call liquid dancing (Only wanted the up arrow, but there isn't a graemlin for that smile )

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

GottaLoveItSponge
883 posts

Posted:
I didn't say I do liquid glow stick dancing or know anything about it's ethics.
"I do not understand it, no nothing of it" - The Duke of Medina Sidonia (1588).

It's just something I came across

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Eeeep, sorry - wasn't having a go frown

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

GottaLoveItSponge
883 posts

Posted:
Lol, sorry me either.... I was just a in a totally crap mood last night
hug

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
this thread makes me laugh.

retarded rap dancing... ubblol

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

Page: