Zeritelmember
11 posts

Posted:
i'm Just starting out glowstickin and i was wondering if it would be more cost efficent to buy a set of chains and some led powered glowsticks or to go down to my local hardware store get some chains, clasps, build my own finger loop handles, and smack it all together into my own self made set.

Tell me opinions, recomendations of what to buy, even what you use, anythign will help.

ZoltarBRONZE Member
Beginner
282 posts

Posted:
Hmmmmmm...

By LED powered glowsticks do you mean the electroglo poi ?

These are much brighter than glowsticks..... and in the end, I am sure would work out more cost efficient...

I love mine

So much fire, so little body hair...

The Fallen Angelmember
6 posts

Posted:
I made Talyn & Moya from thin nylon cord (the stuff that windsurfers and rock climbers use) 2 split ring key rings and cyalume glowsticks (the type with a hook and a hole) i Knotted and plaited the cord, fed the keyrings through behind the Knots and through the hole in the glowstick,.. hey presto one pair of poi,...

Hope This Helps

have we sent the don't shoot we're pathetic! transmission yet?

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
This is all just my opinion but...

Even if you're just going to be using glowsticks - I find them a real b!tch to spin. They're very fast, hurt when you hit yourself with them and not particularly cost effective.
The Electroglo poi from the shop here look a bit like glowsticks except are brighter, last longer and are re-usable. But they're still a bit too light for my tastes.
I think it's quite nice to have a bit of weight in your poi as you can "feel" alot of the moves easier and slow things down to learn them.

(I'm assuming when you say you're beginning, you mean from scratch)

You could always buy the Electroglo ones and add some weight on the end (A la MisStix, ask her if she pops her head in...)

Another alternative is to make some practice poi - there are loads of articles on this - either using socks or tennis balls and learn with these.

Then use your LED ones at parties or wherever you're going to perform.

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
What TFA said, exept I wouldn't use split rings. Those things are dangerous and can let go with out warning. I would use quick links or carabiners instead.

Jesus helps me trick people.

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
Having tried several homemade LED poi designs now, I can safely say that my bought electroglo ones are the best. I'm still toying with a few ideas thou, when i figure out a good, cheap design then i'll write an article. I do end up modifying most of the poi I buy thou, my electroglo's wire got replaced by ball chain and fluro orange cord through the centre. If you can find a door stop which fits the end of the tube and doesn't cost a mint (ie its not from homebase) then that will increase the weight of them a bit.

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
quote:
You could always buy the Electroglo ones and add some weight on the end (A la MisStix, ask her if she pops her head in...)
are in inferring that MisStix would make a suitable dead weight to affix to the end of poi?

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Are you suggesting she wouldn't be?

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted: