Forums > Help! > Technical Difficulties in LED's

Login/Join to Participate

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
It seems there are a few of us who over the course of much time have managed to loosen the switches on our LED systems in the Electroglo tools.
I am beyond tech-minded into the realm of idiot in that arena.
How do you tighten up the switch or fix the system please?
Many thanks.
Pele

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
hah hah!

i just figured out the problem. Will fix it now and take some fotos of the process to post here, gimmie a few minutes....

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
How to unbreak broken led units

Ok, first off take the end off your electroglo poi/staff, then take the unit out (using pliers, teeth or whatever). Undo the screw holding the unit closed and take out the batteries. Now slide the PCB board with the switch and LED on out of the plastic casing and put it on your desk.

When you open one of these up the profit margin really hits home - other than the batteries the components cost only a few pence. They are made from 2 3 volt batteries, a resistor, a switch and an LED.

There's not a lot to go wrong with these units. The lights themselves are LEDs, which when placed on a piece of concrete and hit with a hammer repeatedly will probably survive.

The resistor is in the casing and not exposed and so is therefore unlikely to be the problem.

Our best candidate is the switch, as these are exposed and constantly rub against the wire, string of whatever else maybe inside the tube with them.

These switches are SPDT switches, with 2 of the pins soldered together to make a SPST switch (ie on and off). If they have internal damaged then they can be replaced easily, from a decent electronics shop shouldn't cost more than 10p.

In my case after careful observation under a strong light, one of the pins solder joint had come undone. It was only by a millimeter or so, but it was enough to stop them from working:

Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link

So it was a simple case of resoldering the joint.

I'm not going to try to explain to you how to solder, on the basis that if you own a soldering iron then you should know what you are doing already! (and if you don't burn your desk whilst doing this then you know more/have more coordination than me).

My sodlering iron wasn't hot enough to melt the solder already on the board, so i added a bit of my own.

And that was that. Then we all went home and had tea and went to bed.

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
I get my brother to the soldering (as his hands are steadier than mine) but aside from that I agree with flid.

Meh

ZoltarBRONZE Member
Beginner
282 posts

Posted:
Excellent post flid.

* walks off to find broken LED units and soldering iron *

So much fire, so little body hair...

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Flid...thank you. You so completely Rock!

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
well i'm not sure i'd go that far, but thanks for thee flattery anyway

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
He doesn't rock. The floorboards are loose. This causes some undue swaying.
Tis all....

Meh

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
teeheee cantus!
flid, mate! fantastic, thorough post, mate! your contribution should be made into a HoP article. mmm sexy PCBs! yes i watch too much mecha anime.
/walks off in a robotic fasion

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always