Forums > Help! > Concerns about wraps.

Login/Join to Participate

Biomechanoidmember
15 posts

Posted:
I'm wanting to try practicing some wraps about my neck like I've seen peoples do at performances but I'm concerned about strangling myself any suggestions on how to start practicing these kinds of wraps?

off-topic.net > *.*

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
i started off by just doing one hand at a time. then ya just go for it.

the major problem is less about getting strangled and more about getting two poi heads flying into your face!

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
get some long soft poi to start with... and its the bruises on the face not the strangling thats the problem.... and do them slowly!!!!!

R

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

Biomechanoidmember
15 posts

Posted:
Thanks.

looks like I'm gonna have to break out the fuzzy dice with extra long strings again.

BTW... the length of chain I'm using is a "Medium" length; about 16"

I've been told that my chains are a bad length to work with as they are too short for really long moves and too long for short chain technique.

off-topic.net > *.*

poiaholic22member
531 posts

Posted:
I remember some club idiot trying to show off by doing some neck wraps.Only problem was he obliterated himself every time.At the time I was like "what kind of idiot swings a glowstick directly in the direction of their own face".

Seems life is not without a sense of irony.

When you are practicing them don't spin at ultra high speed.And don't try to show off while doing them ... cuz when you do,it is guaranteed that one of the poi is gonna come round and crack you directly between the eyes.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
There are two kinds of neck wraps. The glowstick raver recoil wraps which shouldn't be done with fire around the neck! And the European style "wrap once and then immidiately unwrap that one rotation without hitting the poi against the flesh" which can also be done on any body part as long as you're quick enough with the body part and slow enough with the poi. Those can be done with fire as the fire never touches the flesh... unless you mess up.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Biomechanoid:
BTW... the length of chain I'm using is a "Medium" length; about 16"

I've been told that my chains are a bad length to work with as they are too short for really long moves and too long for short chain technique.

That is not true. My chains end up being 14 to 16 inches (depending on handle) and I can do both sets of moves. When I want to do short chain moves, I wrap the chain around the neck. And long chains are only really needed for some wraps, which with a bit of creative angling can be done with mid-length chains. I have used all lengths, and these are the ones I am the most comfortable with.

As for neck wraps, there are alot of varieties. The important thing to remember when doing them is to always keep your body moving against the poi, (if the poi are coming down at your neck, then begin to throw your neck/body gently back a bit) as this limits the contact time. For longer chain wraps you can always work the rope dart angle where you keep your hands near your head so that you get one rotation around the neck, then one around your forearm so that you don't get strangled. There are alot of tips and tricks to doing neck wraps that I can not really put into written words. It's just experiment and experience that will teach you the most comfortable angles and such.

And I like the fuzzy dice idea. Less pain is always a boon!

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK