Forums > Social Chat > E-- stupid people ,grrr make me mad

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
NaganootchAKA CLERIC
172 posts

Posted:
I was watching a special on Date line or Nightline whatever the hell the name of the show is tonight and it was all about E. It showed books written by a guy names strike and websites where you can find out how to make it and blah blah.But in the beginning of the show they showed some kids making a documentary about 24 hours of pure drug induced ecstacy, and everyone minute or so they would show these cracked out E-babbies spinning glowsticks. Needless to say they sucked, and all they could do was the weave and the "raver trick".You have no idea how badly i wanted to go slap em and tell em so sit the hell down. They are making everyone else who spins sticks look bad. And when people see me doing it in the street or at my mall and they ask me if i'm a raver or if i rave , i say no. I don't want to be associated with that crap. And i think it was lame of NBC to have that special because they showed where to get all the info you would need to make your own E and after i watched it i found the exact stuff they were talking about. If it hadn't been for there show i wouldn't have had any idea where to look.Lamers

We are defined by the choices we make

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Funny, some of the best twirling i've seen in a club was by 3 guys on E. They worked so well together it was insane and they'd never even laid eyes on one another b4 that night either.Just goes to show you, some people don't have a clue what they're talking about...

Meh

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
There's a big difference between being able to find a recipe for E and actually successfully making it.AFAIK, its not really financial to make it in small amounts, and if you want to make it nice and pure, you need a proper lab.www.erowid.org and www.hyperreal.org have a bunch of resources, but neither of them make it sound like s00pid kids can make it in a bathtub or anything. In fact, have a look. I reckon you'd need a chem degree to take on that kinda project.You should watch your stereotyping of 'ravers'. Ravers, especially older ones, tend to come in all shapes and forms, and a lot dont take E (or at least, dont fit the candy baby image).Josh

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Thanx Josh. I wanted to say some thing like that but i was annoyed by the sweeping generalisation and couldn't find the words.I also find the word raver offensive. But that's another story.

Meh

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
I can't stand the word rave or raver also... It's like nails on a chalkboard for me. I prefer to use the word party and party-goer smile------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong==== []Dhunky ====

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
I go to raves. They are massive illegal parties. That doesn't mean I'm a raver tho. I go to parties. That doesn't mean I'm a party goer. I go to clubs but I wouldn't say I was a clubber.I don't see why people should be labelled for stuff.I'm me. And quite happy with it thank you very much...

Meh

Mystaddict
439 posts

Posted:
I'd label your ass. If you do drugs constantly, you're a drugie, if you go to parties all the time, you're a partier. If you suck dick, you're gay. If you don't like being labeled, don't do the things that get you labeled. People are ignorant and label people wrong all the time, but just cause "raver" is so widely used, most people don't want to be classified under it, even thought that's what they are. You're not an individule, you follow the flock and dance as one. There's nothing wrong with it, stop hating. I don't do eat "X", sniff ketamine, or lick stamps, but I don't mind being classified as a raver. If the shoe fits, you can't be mad at someone who thinks the shoe's yours.Eric

Its about talent, not make up or costumes.

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
I don't believe that those "E-Babbies" were giving spinning sticks a bad name. I do beleive however, that the media intertwining the drug E is making spinning sticks look bad. You have to understand that the media only does stuff like this out of sheer ratings and is catering to your middle class every day Americans. On the flip side though you also have to understand that glowsticks are a part of "rave culture." If you don't want to be associated with that than maybe you shouldn't spin sticks or possibly think about opening up your mind a little bit. Theres nothing wrong with going to a rave or being a "raver." It is a matter of personal choice and shouldn't be judged for it. Just like you shouldn't be judged as a raver just because you spin sticks. I think as human beings we should try to be a little more understanding of each others personal choices and not pre-judge and take people for who they are. As far as you being able to make E seems kind of pointless. E is accessible anywhere just like any other drug. People don't need an NBC special to tell them how to make E and where to get it. I am not a raver but do enjoy parties myself with this type of music. I.E. house, psytrance, jungle etc.I do not condemn or condone the use of E because I feel it is a matter of personal choice. Also, if you understood "rave culture" at all you would know that it is not all about "candy ravers" but is actually about people getting together for the same purpose. Mainly the music. But its also about peace, love, unity, and respect. So, the "rave scene" is more than what it seems and is not all about what the media may be showing. The media only shows the mainstream and only looks to make ratings. Typical America only wants to see the outrageous, what will make people watch television. I apologize for the length of my response but felt very passionate about replying to your frustration. Sincerely, Eclectic

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
I'd agree with all of Myst's points above apart from the "if you suck dick, you're gay" bit... Watch where your treading, don't forget girls give (great) head too. ------------------I have only one burning desire....let me stand next to your fire

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

Firefairymember
115 posts

Posted:
u cant, on one hand, label people as 'ravers' and 'cracked out E babbies' then complain about being labelled when your doing it yourself. however, we cant expect people not to stereotype others when people label themselves to fit into a sub-culture. as for calling drug takers 'stupid' - thats a matter of opinion. personally ive been there, done that.... but i am glad i tried it - like u may want to try jumping out of a plane. its a matter of personal choice.the 'powers that be' (government, police, media) tell you that its illegal/evil but if u think about it, intellectually, its difficult to agree with them; they all have their own adgendas anyway.

Firefairymember
115 posts

Posted:
oh, and as for making your own E, at least u know whats going into it.

Bendymember
750 posts

Posted:
you might know what is in there, but along with other methamphetamines, can be very explosive in the making

Courage is the man who can stop after only one peanut

DömAlterEgo
128 posts

Posted:
There are different types of ravers/party people/clubbers/drink, dance & sad sex crowd/participants in the ancient traditions of ecstatic dance ritual/whatever. People at clubs and rave take different amounts of different drugs and all act differently. Some people become more open and interesting, some become complete morons. These events are culturally diversity at work, all ages, all wealths, all united by dance. That doesn't happen much elsewhere! It's beautiful! The perception to the middle masses is of one drug fuelled den of evil. Because I choose to go to squat parties and psy trance clubs I get perceived by some as a law breaker, druggie and social misfit. That's their problem, not mine. I'm happy with myself as I am, and the chances are I contribute more to society and the world than they do.Glowsticking is associated with raves because that's where it started. Bright, moving lights are cool when you're on drugs! Spinning on drugs (not fire!) can feel amazing. I'm not condoning drug use, but it happens a lot, and as a society we have to live with that, for better and worse!Programs like NBCs only seek to improve ratings, and they also spread ignorance. The government would like all of us to be boring mind slaves to their propaganda. Don't fall for it. Try to break people's perceptions. I'm very open with the fact that I go to raves, I sometimes take various drugs, I support alternative lifestyles, and I'm not messed up, I'm a success in both my personal and work life!Long rant, sorry!Dom

We're nothing but the nerds they think we are

Firefairymember
115 posts

Posted:
Bendy -point taken, i dont know much about making the stuff - just that if you are going to take it, its better to be more aware of what you are putting in your body. personally, (altho i did years ago) i wouldnt put anything in my body that was not natural (exept the e numbers in chocolate-too addictive)but i dont condone anyone else.[This message has been edited by Firefairy (edited 01 November 2001).]

GaBBeRave19member
72 posts

Posted:
...u must be really bored

Firefairymember
115 posts

Posted:
bloody raver...... wink

tonemanmember
195 posts

Posted:
Hey yall... it seems to me that the US is going through what the UK when through 10 years ago. parties are drawing more and more people, and it scares those in power because they think it's the drugs that's making it happen. What they don't realize is that drugs aren't the underlying cause. I think that peeps go to parties cause they want the friendly atmosphere, where people accept them for who they are, and not some F@##ing insecure media image. The people that they seem to be having a problem with are kids. They pick these freakin' kids out of the party to put them on TV to make it seem like these kids are everywhere. They're not. Maybe 5% of partiers are under 18. That's stopping, too. But I digress... the media associating glowspinning with 'raves' is not far fetched. I see people spinning all the time at parties. Some awesome, some like me (know the moves, learning the art), some pitiful. The thing that chaps me is them making it look like everyone spins. Kinda takes the individuality out of it.The IRONY here: we allow people to smoke at 18.. something that makes addicts of 80% of users (heroin is only 30%, crack 25%), and kills 50% of people using it (granted it may be 20yrs down the road, but...) has a cessation rate of 6%, and costs society greatly. They have LIED about it being addictive and a health menace for decades, apologize, and continue to sell their death with the blessings of the gov't. what a country (world) we live in. screw the US media, overbearing gov't and the countries that fundementally change themselves to get the US's money. Things will change (you can see it in countries starting to oppose the US drug policy) but it will take time.... sorry for the long and boring post. just venting, i guess.....tony

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
quote:
I do beleive however, that the media intertwining the drug E is making spinning sticks look bad.
exactly...thats what i hate the most. My whole damn family watches Dateline. Now the next time they see me spin some glowsticks they are going to think im an that "damn extasy drug"And of course they say it like this "while these kids are high on all types of illegal drugs namely extasy, where they can but from anyone at a rave party, they spin these glowsticks attactched to shoelaces because of the visual effect. You can point out someone on this drug because they are twirling these glowsticks around and dancing with them...blah blah blah"it makes the people that spin for the ejoyment of it look bad. And besides, the person spinning isnt on X, its the pacifier sucking, back rubbing, mask wearing fools on the floor watching him thats rolling...geez where do they get their information?? grin"S"

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear--not absence of fear.

- Mark Twain

nomadBRONZE Member
retired
356 posts

Posted:
I saw that NBC program too. That Texas guy they were interviewing blew me away. Why in the world, if he really is what they're describing (an ex-con, Ecstasy manufacturer, secret leader of an underground community and mentor for people who want to make E), would he accept to be interviewed on national TV for a "documentary" about E? If I was a criminal trying to hide my illegal activities, why would I accept to be confronted by a "reporter" and risk that my lies be exposed on national TV? How fucking stupid (or ego-maniac) would I have to be? Another option is that the whole story was complete bullshit but I highly hope that NBC wouldn't do that, even if my mistrust for mainstream American media is very strong.On the content, I felt like I was watching a movie more than a documentary, because of all the dramatic direction of the piece (the narrator, music, people interviewed - that DEA guy with the mustach was sooo perfect in his role of the mushy 'goooood guy').It was ridiculous. For intelligent drug movies, I prefer Trainspotting and Requiem for a dream. Traffic was okay but couldn't help the Hollywood cornyness too many times.Nomad

Girl From Marsmember
168 posts

Posted:
grrrrrrrrrrrrr.........should i even start on this subject?well frankly it pisses me off to know that when anyone i meet or know and talk to find out i go to raves they automatically think i do E. that damn stereotype that all ravers do E, i guess i'll never escape it. and the media is a piece of s#*@. they need that "all important story that shows the bad side of things" just so it makes it interesting to the viewers. don't take what stories they put out personally... i tend to just ignore them cause i know the other side..the unity, friendliness,and the incredible energy that i get from the music that allows me to vent and dance till dawn. F*@% the media. and for anyone here that has that same stereotype in there head (especially if you have never been to a rave, whether its you thing or not)i will have you know that i and all my rave buddies have never done E. hell i wont even touch a beer or cigarette let alone E. i know most if not all of you are incredibly open minded and do realize that the stereotype is bull. you are beautiful people. and if you have your opinion against ravers or labels or whatever, that's fine, this is my opinion and my feelings. i encourage you all to voice yours. well i should stop. i think i began to babble a bit . well i feel better. twirl for the art and for yourself, never for anyone else!!!!!------------------the music feeds my soul that glows and grows with every spin i take.

the music feeds my soul that glows and grows with every spin i take.

Mystaddict
439 posts

Posted:
The only person I want to hear fighting the intellectual side of this is Josh, the rest of you sit down and raise your hand when you have a question. Good point Durbs, girls do give great head....And remember kids, treat girls the same way you treat an Ice cream sundae, always eat the cherry first.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I too get frustrated with being called a "druggie raver" because I twirl stuff. In fact, I really resent those that call poi "raving" as I've never been to a rave. Digweed and Sasha at Twilo? Yes. Abandoned warehouse in Long Island? No.Then again, as a middleclass white male I sometimes forget that in our society others are steriotyped much more negatively for much less.This is not an agreement or disagreement with what's been said. Just another perspective.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Labels, stereotypes, propoaganda media...It's all a part of life. We can't prevent people from labelling and creating stereotypes because we do the same thing, such as saying that all news programs are out for ratings and are spreading ignorance. Sure most of them do, but we are stereotyping every big news show with that statement, and sometimes they have worthwhile contributions ot make.The only sensible things we can do is 1. Expect people to stereotype us for all sorts of reasons and not get angry at them for it, but confide in them about your frustration and begin to "educate" them on who you are and what you do.If they don't listen, its not worth the stress of getting angry over something you can't change, just laugh at their naievity and continue to enjoy life.2. Always be prepared to change your opinion of someone or something, as we all generate stereotypes or labels no matter who we are. Keeping our minds open and ready to change our minds is the only way to become less hypocritical.3. Be aware that things you do in front of strangers or people who don't know you well will form the first impression of you. You have more control over first impressions than the people you meet. If you still act in ways that will create the "wrong image", its your fault not theirs!There we go, I hope I don't get labelled as a New-Age-Warnm-Fuzzy-peace-to-the-world-activist. but if I do, it's probably my fault...------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggling.co.nz

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Thank you Myst for making me lose all the respect I had previously appointed for you. I'm appalled by your, quite frankly, homophobic statement. And as for your other points:I'm a Crustie. I dress like a crustie, I listen to crustie music. That's my label. I wear that with pride.There aren't many of us left. Most of us grew up and got proper jobs. I'm not a raver. Maybe it's different in the states. Maybe I'm getting angry over a word that means something else to you. But here raves died out in the early 90's. And with them died all the shit, right-wing media propaganda and ill informed anti-drugs babble that went with them. If someone calls me a raver these days I assume they're old. Or out of touch. Or taking the piss.Maybe it's all about semantics. Maybe it's a pavements and sidewalks issue. But to me parties are in houses. You go. You get drunk. You make a pass at someone you wouldn't fancy if you weren't full of Tequilla. You pass out. You wake up with potato chips stuck to your face. I'm not a partier.Maybe I'm wrong. Durbs, you're younger than me. Am I wrong? Have i lost touch? Am I showing my age?You seen me dance then have you? If you had you wouldn't say I "dance as one". You, might on the other hand say "gee, that guy's a terrible dancer why doesn't he go and sit down b4 he....oh. He's gone!"I take pills. I find it a necessaty as the bar in the arches shuts at 2am and the last 5 hours can get mighty dull without something psychoactive inside me.I don't touch Ket cause quite frankly it's shite.And I'm not sure what Philately has to do with being a clubber unless by stamps you mean acid......In which case I dont take acid cos it's boring. ....Right I've ranted enough. I've probably painted myself into a corner and made myself look a fool. But, quite frankly, right now I couldn't give a toss.Oh and one more thing; you so much as come near my ass with them labels and i'm straight on the phone to the RSPCA!------------------C@ntus

Meh

poiboymember
22 posts

Posted:
man o man, am i getting sick of the raver image. there are all sorts of misconceptions about the usage of e and the people who do it, but they have mostly been discussed already.my gripe is that i have been glowsticking for 2 years, and i have only gone to two raves. however, whenever anyone sees me spin, their first question, without fail, is "are you a raver or what?"no, i'm not, but i used to be a heavy drug user (not a "druggie" tho), and that helped tremendously with twirling inspiration. i just don't like that people always assume that i did drugs because of raving or poi. basically, people who are uneducated about the reality of raves and drugs draw too many quick conclusions, and that annoys me.however, they usually recant because i'm the one with weighty objects on strings grin

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
E stupid people or E stupid media? My turn for a rant. Personally, I'm fed up with all the blatant bullshit pumped out by the media about parties/raves etc. The reports are usually poorly researched, technically inaccurate, dangerous and misleading. Unfortunately this tye of reporting has fueled a growing paranoia in the community to the extent that now, for example, glowsticks are now considered drug paraphernalia in some US states ie. if you are found with a glowey the you are a druggie and will be treated accordingly. I didn't see the show, but the site mentioned has been considered a DEA front for a while now. Making e; forget it. The is a fair chance you will blow yourself up, poison your friends or get caught ordering watched chemicals. There is life beyond drug scene, it's just a pity the media always focus on the negatives. I live for, spinning, dancing and music. It would be great to see a report on all the great dancing and spinning that has emerged in recent years.

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
Hear hear, thanks for the old fogies! What was that...speak up sonny, I can't hear you wink

Mystaddict
439 posts

Posted:
I could give a fuck about respect from any one on this board. It's a damn message board, who cares. Wear your steriotype with pride and march with the rest of them. If you knew me, you'd know I wasn't anywhere near homophobic, but if you think I hate homosexuals cause a comment about "fags" it doesn't matter, that's just you stereotyping me. It makes sense though, I called them fags, normally only homophobic people call people fags. You probably get stereotyped the same way you sterotyped me, for doing things a certain crowd does. Don't let it get to you bro, all that matters is what you think, unless you want to ACT like you're an individule when really you and everyone else, including me, fall right into one sub culture or another. That's funny about the respect thing though, you said it like it was a big deal that I don't have your respect, when really, all that matters is that I respect myself.Love yaEric

Mystaddict
439 posts

Posted:
Hold me Cantus, I'm lonely. I'll lay here, cheeks spread, just for the slight chance your member will penetrate my castle. It's almost winter, so the cool air entering my lower caverns send a rush of chills down my spin as I wonder, what kind of lover you'll be. Will you be rough and controling, soft and gentle, or maybe just maybe, you'll choke me till I turn purple and caress me wispering you love me. I wait for the day we can be together. Come to me, I want to feel your rubbled face as I nibble your ears. We must be and we must be NOW.ToodlesEricxoxox

Neekomember
68 posts

Posted:
That's funny. I was just about to post a new topic simply commending everyone on this site for being able to discuss things intelligently without resorting to swearing or making fun of one another like you see on every other message board in the world. Then I started reading this topic...

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Don't lose hope Neeko. wink

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Page: