Forums > Help! > Fire Breathing Question

Login/Join to Participate

FireSpiritSILVER Member
Classic 90's Fire Dancer... Poi, Staff, Doubles, and Breathing
743 posts

Posted:
Hey I heard that if you wash your mouth out with Olive Oil, putting a coating in your mouth before you breath, it helps reduce the amount of toxins entering through your gums.

Does this sound like a thing to do?
I have been fire breathing for a while now and have never done this.

What do you all think?

Olive Oil Mouth Wash before Breathing?

FIRE IS ALIVE!
IT LIVES AND BREATHS!
IT CONSUMES, AND DISTROYS!
BUT WE CONTROL IT,
AND DANCE WITH FIRE!!

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
There are a lot of suggestions as to how to minimise toxin absorbtion in this way, I have heard milk many many times, haven't heard olive oil before

I think you are going to have to accept that if you do this, toxins will be absorbed into your body. No liquid substance will provide a complete barrier around your mouth.

Firebreathing is like smoking, it is bad for you, and there are also a lot of myths and legends surrounding it. Just like with smoking, I am not going to tell you to stop doing it, it is your choice. However be aware of and accepting of all the dangers you are exposing yourself to. (Never ever believe someone who says "it is perfectly safe" They are just fooling themselves.)

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

FireSpiritSILVER Member
743 posts

Posted:
Well I don't smoke, and don't drink much, so a little oil in my mouth won't hurt to much.

However I would like a bit of a safty berrior.

Any Safty Tips?

Pele I know your out there

FIRE IS ALIVE!
IT LIVES AND BREATHS!
BUT WE CONTROL IT,
AND DANCE WITH FIRE!!

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
here's a cool idea - plug "Olive Oil" into the new search function and see what it drags up! I'd be interested to know, and I think Malcolm would appreciate a valid search request rather than the crazy things the engine has been logging...

and, I don't need to tell someone like you to check the Fire Breathing safety article that Pele wrote for us all - but for anyone lurking: Go Read It!

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
in the same boat here,i got was told the same years ago now but never tried... i allways drink loads of milk though, shitting paraffin isnt very nice, well not at a service station 30 miles in to an 8 hour drive home after a gig.
i had a friend thats doing a degree in chemistry, she also looked in to fire breathing for us and told us fresh orange, apparently it balances some of the crap out, whats in paraffin.

myths....

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Okay...barriers are a myth, of all sorts.
Olive oil won't work, not for what you want it to. It will succeed in making your mouth feel freaky though, and taste a little "off". The other thing about Olive oil is that it heats up, won't that feel all warm and fuzzy in your mouth?

Milk and the like help to buffer excess fuel in your stomach, not alleviate it.

As Rozi very intelligently put, there are risks, and if you want to do this, you have to accept the consequences.

Citric acid and Kero actually don't mix well. Maybe in a petri dish but not with stomach acid in the mix! Bleck!

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

FireSpiritSILVER Member
743 posts

Posted:
Thanks Pele, I don't know to laph or cry.

I did check out the Search Engine on Olive Oil though and a lot of Cool stuff came up about Fire Breathing!! I didn't know you could use Vegie Oil for blowing!

FIRE IS ALIVE!
IT LIVES AND BREATHS!
BUT WE CONTROL IT,
AND DANCE WITH FIRE!!

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
It's one of those things you need to try for yourself. I really don't like the effects of it at all. I would rather take my chances with lamp oil. And the Chem Pnuemonitis can happen even with vegetable oils. The only thing you are even remotely cutting the risk on is toxin absorbtions, and for the limited effect, it isn't worth it to me.
But try it and experiment with a few. Let us know how it goes!

Pele

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
How does it not cut the risk of blow backs (which almost are impossible with vegetable oil) and other dangers that actually have to do with burns? since it burns at a lot lower temperature and it's extreamly hard to burn when it's not in a fine mist.

I started out with vegetable oil and messed around with it for awhile and id say it's pretty impressive to anyone who hasn't seen fire breathing with kero before. I had seen plenty of stuff with kero before so it wasn't enough for me.

The biggest things I discovered with veggie oil is to buy the thinnest oil you can find and also to heat it up as much as possible. If it is on the verge of burning your mouth then it's hot enough. Just make sure you are very careful testing the heat before you put hot oil in your mouth!.

A found a big ignition source helps a lot to. I used a torch with a staff sized wick when I did it. I can't imagine ever doing it over kero but I think it's fun to try. The biggest I could get was 8 feet straight up. I saw it hit the limbs of the tree and then went and got a tape measure and measured from the distance I hold the torch to the spot on the branch.

NickCMonkey Wrangler
183 posts

Posted:
Also, with vegetable oil I could never get pillars, just flashballs and I can't use the same technique that I do with kero. You kind of just spit as hard and as much oil as you can.

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
doesnt matter what you use, you cant cntrol a blow back, or swalowing the flame, fuck ups can happen and be very very dangerous i'm sure you have all read pele's posts before now. if not pele could you post the links for us?.
being a performer myself i can some times be put on the spot at different clubs and be asked to fire breath in difficult conditions, if i feel I or general public is at any risk, i refuse, wether its just a little light breeze on the air, if that puts me at risk from a blow back, i aint doing it.
just a itte warning to you guyus breathing out there, be careful, i've seen one of my best mate get paralised from swalowing a flame from breathing and he was competant with it too, just made a very bad mistake. i'm sure pele will agree with me and add some persona feelings hersef.
the last thing we need on HOP is another breathing accident.

pele, have you started writing that article you said malcolm asked you to write?

please be careful guys

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
I was speaking to my girlfriend with my jaw on the floor and she was saying how there were some people teaching random drunkards to fire breathe.

I was getting very into my lecture of how ridiculously dangerous that is - but she interupted saying they were using what sounds pretty much like a bite valve and a fuel pouch.

As far as I can understand it, the fuel pouch is soft plastic (soft as in flexible, it's still thick and heat resistant) and about the size of an apple - you put the whole thing in your mouth. There is a small valve in it which you place between your lips and you just clamp down on the pouch with your toungue and jaw quicly to spray the fuel. The valve prevents suck back and you never have fuel in your mouth.

Has anyone else heard of these? Or seen them for sale?

I don't imagine you can get anywhere near as bigger flame but it is alot safer by the sounds of it and maybe with practice you can get big flames...

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

FireSpiritSILVER Member
743 posts

Posted:
I have never heard of that! But I have heard of a pouch uou can put on your back or hip (like a camel-pack.) It would be nice if I could get ahold of what you are talking about Durbs.

What about 151 and Olive oil mix? Has anyone tried this?

FIRE IS ALIVE!
IT LIVES AND BREATHS!
BUT WE CONTROL IT,
AND DANCE WITH FIRE!!

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Astar, how do you get to conclusion that blowbacks are not possible with olive oil? If it combusts in a mist form, then it will combust the mist that is trailing from your lips...or...the wind will shift and it will blow back at you. NOTHING is impossible, so just because you use something you *believe* is more safe does not make the act itself safe.

PK...doing a search would actually be easier and take less space than my putting up the links to the dozens of threads that exsist on fire breathing. And which article? The one on fire breathing? If you click the home page you will find my article in the articles section. It's long, so get comfy, but imformative. And I think you have to be 18 to read it, or sign a waiver.

I actually taught a crash course to FireSpirit in fire breathing, so I know he will be smart about it, but....I really do not endorse doing it, and can't to anyone. Fire breathing is not safe, and even though (ready for this??) I will most likely go back to doing it at some point, I have years of experience, a really bad injury and know what type of conditions to work with. No matter what fuel you use, no matter where you are, no matter what safety precautions you take, something can, and eventually will go wrong. To tell yourself otherwise is to lie to yourself.

BTW, Astar...most of my breaths right before my accident (since i've not had any since) were done with lamp oil and a swinging torch or staff end. I will tell you...it's alot of fire, and wouldn't recommend it to anyone who hasn't fire breathed for at least a couple years fairly consistantly.

The fuel pouch only gives small flash balls, because of the amount of fuel they hold. And I have heard of them leaking and rupturing, which causes a whole new slew of issue.

Olive oil and 151 is like oil and water...they don't mix and they aspirate at different pressures which makes consistancy hard. And 151 is just plain dangerous.

Pele

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
Pele when I used it it only burned when it was in contact with the hottest part of the torch. It didn't have enough heat to burn on it's own like kero. So if you keep the torch away from your face I don't really see there being much likelyhood of a blow back a serious blow back.

And yeah I meant big torches for veggie oil. Big torches for kero is scary stuff. I only use tiny tiny eatting torches for kero which are probably the smallest eatting torches anyone has seen. They were the ones first made and I miss judged how big to make the wicks.

[ 18. January 2003, 12:04: Message edited by: Astar ]

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Astar, I do not mean to sound course with you but it is important to me that you realize this...you can ALWAYS get a blowback, no matter what you use.

I actually did the same thing with my fist fire eating torches those many moons ago.
I think they looked like Marshmallows on the end of a stick! LOL Now?...well....we just won't go into that!

[ 18. January 2003, 13:58: Message edited by: Pele ]

Pele

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
my bad pele, i was refering to some thing that i must have read in a post, about malcolm asking you t o type out some thing for HOP about your accident.
i did how ever go back and polish up my reading of your fire breathing page, and yes there is a waiver to click on. wise idea.
i would recomend any one to go and read it if you havnt allready before.

FireSpiritSILVER Member
743 posts

Posted:
I'll Read it! What is the name?

Thanks Pele! 151 and Oil is OUT! I have just been talking with other blowers around here, seeing what they use. So then I go back to my wise teacher and ask for guidence. Thanks

~Fire Spirit

FIRE IS ALIVE!
IT LIVES AND BREATHS!
BUT WE CONTROL IT,
AND DANCE WITH FIRE!!

FireSpiritSILVER Member
743 posts

Posted:
Hear Dazz,
This is a tad bit in the fire breathing notes, there is a search link that Malcolm posted closer to the top of the thread. Use It!
Good Luck, and remember fire breathig is a Very Serious thing to do. Read up on everything you can before doing it yourself!!
~Fire Spirit

FIRE IS ALIVE!
IT LIVES AND BREATHS!
BUT WE CONTROL IT,
AND DANCE WITH FIRE!!

sMythmember
10 posts

Posted:
hello i still am pretty new here. i recently learned how to breathe fire. i learned under someone really experienced and i did some reading about it before i tried it with fuel. i practiced with water to get the mist right. it's scary the first few times i have to admit. i eat fire and i'm comfortable with it, however blow outs are completely different. by the way eating fire with lamp oil sucks. it's a myth in my opinion. it burns hot, really hot, (fyi) but lamp oil is ideal for fire breathing.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
LOL smyth...and this is said with affection...

It's fire...everything burns really hot! And the inside of our mouths are particularly sensitive.
If you actually check burn temperatures, it is no myth at all, lamp oil burns cooler. If you were to use a torch with lamp oil and then one with white gas, you would definately find a difference!

Pele

Ianddmember
39 posts

Posted:
what to put in your mout before you firebreathe?

booze, more booze and then don't firebreathe at all...

-theantifirebreathingfairy

soup!