Forums > Help! > What am I doing wrong?!?! (reverse spinning)

Login/Join to Participate

WryTerraThe reason we say "European"
912 posts

Posted:
When I spin in reverse, my left hand gets it totally wrong and starts to spin across my body instead of in a straight line. I am doing the exact same hand movement with my right hand, and it's fine, my left however starts aching and goes completely out of line. Any ideas? It's bugging me because it's stopped me from learning any reverse moves, I've been at this impass for months. I can't get basic turns down either because of it.

"We have done the impossible and that makes us mighty" - Mal Reynolds

"I can't tell the difference between an electron and a cat" - Brother of a friend

poiaholic22member
531 posts

Posted:
I struggled for months learning a reverse weave.

Try doing the motion with just your left hand.When you get consistent then try the weave.

Myself I forced the move.When I first started doing it I held my hands with my palms facing the same direction (2 beat version).

Make sure you're trying to do a 3 beat.The carrying under the arm motion of doing a 3 beat will keep the poi straight.Once you can do 3 beat a 2 beat is cake.

Stick with it.I never thought I was gonna get it.When I did though I abused the shit out of that move.

PATIENCE IS A VIRTUE

WryTerraThe reason we say "European"
912 posts

Posted:
You seem to have misunderstood.

I'm not trying to do a weave, I'm not trying to do any trick, I'm just trying to spin it backwards, that's all. I've tried it with just the one hand, and I can't keep it in line at all. I'm not even going to think about tricks in reverse until i can get it to actually spin in reverse without going so badly wrong.

"We have done the impossible and that makes us mighty" - Mal Reynolds

"I can't tell the difference between an electron and a cat" - Brother of a friend

poiaholic22member
531 posts

Posted:
I kinda had a feeling that is what you were eluding to.All I can say is

How are you holding your hand when you spin?Are you using just string or do you have handles on your strings?You only have this problem spinning in reverse?Are you trying to spin in front of yourself or to the side?

It almost sounds like you have a mental block or something like that.From what I already know I would say keep practicing with one hand and make sure that you keep your hand parallel to the floor with your palm facing up.

I think that is as much as I can help at this point.Answer some of the questions and I'll see if I can help guide you through this.

Whatever you do don't give up.

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
i'd have taken that first post exactly the same, but reading on... erm lemme think.
your not actually trying to do any move what so ever, just take a poi in your left hand [nothing in ur right] and spinning it hold it how you feel its comfortable, go out side, jump around a bit get a feel for that left hand, try passing it side to side crossing over your body like part of a weave, do butterfly moves.
practice, i was in the same boat when i started poi, i know it sucks, it will pass though, it still gives me shit now though dude, trying to learn double staves.
i wish you luck none of us can help out really on this one, you just gotta spend time and have patients.