Forums > Help! > Flaming Jump Ropes?

Login/Join to Participate

FireSpiritSILVER Member
Classic 90's Fire Dancer... Poi, Staff, Doubles, and Breathing
743 posts

Posted:
When I was a kid, (well smaller) I use to love to jump-rope. I not only liked to use the single rope, but also liked the double-dutch. Jumping in and out of the ropes, with others and doing the same things, all while jumping FAST!
I was wondering if anyone knows how I might go about making a fire rope/chain that can be hit on the ground and not go out.
I feel it would be a rush to be fully sorrounded by flames, and do what we use to do in the school yard.

They would have to be 10 - 15 feet long and light enough so the ropers wouldn't get tired armes.

Any one have any suggestions?

~Fire Spirit

FIRE IS ALIVE!
IT LIVES AND BREATHS!
IT CONSUMES, AND DISTROYS!
BUT WE CONTROL IT,
AND DANCE WITH FIRE!!

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
So I gave this some thought this summer and came up with a design for a handle that I think might work.

For each handle you will need:

1 15 cm length of metal tube about 1.5cm internal diameter

1 30 cm (or longer) length of chain (not ball chain).

1 sturdy split-ring keyring that is more than 1.5cm in diameter.

What you do is you put the chain through the tube and then affix the keyring to one end of the chain. Now you have loose chain sticking out the other end of the metal tube. All you have to do is figure out how to attach that loose end to a piece of kevlar rope wick (sold in the HOP shop) and then wrap the metal tubing in something heat-resistant (like leather) and you have a handle.

Send pics!

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
we just use a leather loop handle, a little chain, and some fire rope with loops at the end sewn in. they stay lit just fine. we have pics somewhere on our site... https://www.firecircus.com
in case you care.

[ 13. January 2003, 19:47: Message edited by: arashi ]

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

FireSpiritSILVER Member
743 posts

Posted:
Hi Mike,
You just discribed a handle?
I know there is a kevlar rope out there, but I don't think it would hold up to that kind of beating. Do You think I could string the kevlar through the chain? Is there a Light enough chain out there that I could thread the wick, and still have it burn?

Also, where you thinking about a flamming jumprope when you thought up the handle, or where you going another direction? I was just thinking I would wrap the ends of the chain with leather (about a foot wrapped)like a Whip handle.

FIRE IS ALIVE!
IT LIVES AND BREATHS!
BUT WE CONTROL IT,
AND DANCE WITH FIRE!!

FireSpiritSILVER Member
743 posts

Posted:
Cool thanks Arashi! I would love to see the pics! However the sight didn't come out.
Also are you just doing single rope, or two long ropes?

FIRE IS ALIVE!
IT LIVES AND BREATHS!
BUT WE CONTROL IT,
AND DANCE WITH FIRE!!

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
my local juggling shop sells fire jump ropes ready made, so some where out there some one is manufacturing these.
try bearclaw they make to decent stuff.

FireSpiritSILVER Member
743 posts

Posted:
WOW PK!!!
Great sight!!! I want not only the jump rope but alot more!!
I may have to pay these guys a visit this summer in Ca.
Thanks for the info,
~Fire Spirit

FIRE IS ALIVE!
IT LIVES AND BREATHS!
BUT WE CONTROL IT,
AND DANCE WITH FIRE!!

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
FireSpirit, I was about to refer you to Bearclaw. I just discovered their fireskipping rope myself. But PK beat me to it.

I highly recommend Bearclaw for fire stuff. They don't offer the same merchandise as HOP, but the stuff they do offer is well-made and Tedward is a safety nut (always a good quality in a firetoy manufacturer).

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

FireSpiritSILVER Member
743 posts

Posted:
Right On! Thanks you guys!
Now about that handle? What where you thinknig?

FIRE IS ALIVE!
IT LIVES AND BREATHS!
BUT WE CONTROL IT,
AND DANCE WITH FIRE!!

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Mine has metal tubing crimped with a hole drilled through it at each end of thick kevlar rope. This holds the rope securely and allows me to change handles freely. I attach the handle with the typical screwing o-ring. To this I attach my handles with a short piece of chain off the bottom. Depending one what tricks I am doing, I use my standard deer hide single loops which I made myself, or I simply attach the handles from my exer-rope, which are formed wooden handles.
My overall price was only a few bucks but it has a nice look and line to it.

To get back into the swing of it, practice with a normal jump rope. The leather ones help work speed (but sting like an SOB when you get hit with them), the regular rope ones are for the slower more aerobic exercise. Practice with your fire one unlit, obviously. If it is too light, tie a knot in the center. This will always lead the swing first, and you can use it as a reference point. Remember though, that fuel will add weight to the rope conciderably. You will need to factor that in.

Also, another note on the fire ones....squeeze off excess fuel well. I have witnessed some really bad stuff happen from a long length of rope spraying fuel.

For personal (single person) jumping you should be able to stand with both feet on the rope in the middle and touch just above your hips with the handles. More than that and it slags on the ground, less and you are apt to thwap yourself in the back of the head. For multiple people, no less than 15 feet is recommended.

Hope this helps some!

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

FireSpiritSILVER Member
743 posts

Posted:
COOL PELE, THANKS!!!!
You have so many cool fire toys! I love ya!
How much did the whole rope cost, making it yourself?

~Fire Spirit

FIRE IS ALIVE!
IT LIVES AND BREATHS!
BUT WE CONTROL IT,
AND DANCE WITH FIRE!!

SpArKiE*shiny shiny*
218 posts

Posted:
i was thinking....

(oh gawd)

u remember those things thay you tied around your ankle - like jump ropes - but they were personal ones... and u'd swing it around and jump over it with your other foot... (ok by now u should know whut im talkin bout...hopefully)

im guessin... you could use that rope kevlar stuff for that as well eh? or even a poi with a velcrow strap or sumfin.

jus an idea if sum1 hasnt thought about it already... but im sure sum1 has

And wherever you've gone and wherever we might go. It don't seem fair. Today just disappeared.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
FS..The whole thing cost me just over $10.
The clamp rings cost a couple bucks and the length of pipe was less than a dollar, because you don't need alot of it. The Kevlar rope was the most expensive part and still was only about $8 or so. (about $1/foot). Cheap and easy, as long as you have access to something that can crimp the pipe! Everything but the kevlar was available at Wal-Mart or Home Depot. Yay for ghetto toys! Love ya too!

Sparkie..they are called Skip-it's. They are actually back in style too. When I was young mine was a lemon with rattle beads inside. Now they have LED lights and rollers so they roll easily on the ground.
In experimenting here are the two issues I have found. That the kevlar gets the crap beat out of it and does not slide well over the ground. I have been looking into a metal ball to hold the kevlar, but usually it is not big enough to create a fire large enough to look good.
The Kevlar drag on the ground also deposits a pretty decent amount of burning fuel at first, which is cool until you realize one of your feet is directly in the center of it all! I have been working on the design off and on for two years now. To really pull this off you need a ring that will slide loosely around you ankle that also is afixed to something not only straight but sturdy to attach the kevlar to, because if it isn't affixed to the hoop it won't move in the desired circle, it'll just sit there.
Also it needs practice, cause you can get it whipping around but then when it comes time to stop, it wraps around the ankle, sometimes tightly. You have to kind of plant your "swinging" foot and kick the wick with the opposite foot to stop the wrap, if that makes sense. Hmmm.. hope this helps.

Pele

FireSpiritSILVER Member
743 posts

Posted:
Your the best Pele!
I can't wait to make mine!!!

Thanks!!

~Fire Spirit

FIRE IS ALIVE!
IT LIVES AND BREATHS!
BUT WE CONTROL IT,
AND DANCE WITH FIRE!!

gάrbǿ²addict
521 posts
Location: Bristol / London / Norwich / Chennai, India (UK) (...

Posted:
Thought you might just want to treat yourself

quote:
fyre ropes
I have one and they are wicked .

safe

[garbo]

be excellent to each other: safe:

FireSpiritSILVER Member
743 posts

Posted:
Thanks for the GREAT Sights Guys!

FIRE IS ALIVE!
IT LIVES AND BREATHS!
BUT WE CONTROL IT,
AND DANCE WITH FIRE!!

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
i dont like the look of those fire ropes, damn, take your forearms out with the flames.
looks like some one didnt look in to safety on those ones.

FireSpiritSILVER Member
743 posts

Posted:
You can't be afraid of fire now! I think however the handles are long so you don't get rubbed every time it goes by.

My Question is How Long Do They Last, and Will They Break Easly (slapping on the ground all the time).

FIRE IS ALIVE!
IT LIVES AND BREATHS!
BUT WE CONTROL IT,
AND DANCE WITH FIRE!!

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Going with PK on this one, but you might be able to adjust it so you can add a bit of length?
How long the ropes last depends on how much you use it, how you take care of it, even where you use it. Using it on concrete would wear it out faster. Thick grade kevlar holds up to alot of burns, say, a few hundred. It just takes proper care and use for them. They don't last as long as short poi do, but are pretty much on par with your most beat up fire staff!

Pele

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
fire ropes are like a good woman, its as pele said how you take care of them, they will last a life time.

with all my toys [and there are many], i redip them after every burn to help preserve the wick, keeping them in a plastic bag as well, so as the paraffin doesnt get over ever every thing.

FireSpiritSILVER Member
743 posts

Posted:
How do you handle a Woman?

As Much as Possible.

Same with the fire gear, I love my stuff, and take very good care of it. I do te same PK with my wicks. Its the best for them, some times I just disconnect the poi, and leave them in my dipping can.

Thanks for the info on the ropes Pele, I need to get out there and jump some before my gear arrives. (i guess first I need to make a large order I want so much stuff!)

FIRE IS ALIVE!
IT LIVES AND BREATHS!
BUT WE CONTROL IT,
AND DANCE WITH FIRE!!

FireSpiritSILVER Member
743 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Pele:
FS..The whole thing cost me just over $10.
The clamp rings cost a couple bucks and the length of pipe was less than a dollar, because you don't need alot of it. The Kevlar rope was the most expensive part and still was only about $8 or so. (about $1/foot). Cheap and easy, as long as you have access to something that can crimp the pipe! Everything but the kevlar was available at Wal-Mart or Home Depot. Yay for ghetto toys! Love ya too!

Pele Where did you get the $1 a foot Kevlar Rope?
If you got it here you must have gotten it at cost, b/c its about $3-$4.50 in the shop.

FIRE IS ALIVE!
IT LIVES AND BREATHS!
BUT WE CONTROL IT,
AND DANCE WITH FIRE!!

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
One of the juggle suppliers here in the US FS...can't recall which offhand though! Sorry.

Pele