Salingermember
382 posts

Posted:
Did a little digging to see if this has been done before but couldn´t see anything and wondered if anyone had any info/advice.

I figure I can easily make a metal yo yo with wicks attached to the sides and use a really thin metal cord to act as the string.

Definitely need some gloves for this one I guess, but has anyone had a go before?

Salinger

[ 30. December 2002, 05:30: Message edited by: Salinger ]

A conspiracy of silence speaks louder than words...

StebbinsBRONZE Member
10th degree spoon weilder
171 posts

Posted:
Can't say i have. Would a yoyo even work at with a metal cord?

-Beeaaatch please, I'm the macaroni with the cheese.
-This message will self destruct in 10 seconds.

Salingermember
382 posts

Posted:
That´s a good question!

I hope it does.

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
dude, thread wicking! they seel it at www.renegadejuggling.com and it is pretty thick and strong, about toothpick thick. i think it would work fine.

yo yos have to be really well balanced don't they? i thought of doing this once upon a time but decided it would be too hard to balance the sides well. i used to yo yo as a kid, but really the last thing i need is another toy in my fire bag to obsess over... "they" make really cool red led yoyos by the way. yeah, it ain't fire.

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

Maelstrommember
135 posts

Posted:
It would be the same thing as a fire diablo. Just so you know the diablos get really hot, so I would think the Yo-yo would too. Good luck!

Nothing good ever comes from hanging out with normal people.

Salingermember
382 posts

Posted:
Nice one all,

I´m gonna get on the case with this soon, I´ll keep ya updated and if it all works out I´ll post up some instructions, cheers for the links and advice.

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
Well a diabolo has to be ballanced just as well as a yo-yo I would imagine.

And fire diabolo exists.

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
I think we may be missing part of th epoint here guys...

Most of the yoyoing I've seen, (and at my juggling clubs we've had the odd master pass through!) tends to involve a lot of CATCHING.

I.E. Grabbing the yoyo multpiple times during routines etc.

I remember a common wrist-flick used to gewt lots of speed up for certian tricks.

If the yoyo is on fire and really hot, that might rule out all of those particular moves.

All my own opinion of course, cna any yoyo enthusiasts out there give us some professional comments?

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Salingermember
382 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Charles (INFERNO):
I think we may be missing part of th epoint here guys...

Most of the yoyoing I've seen, (and at my juggling clubs we've had the odd master pass through!) tends to involve a lot of CATCHING.

I.E. Grabbing the yoyo multpiple times during routines etc.

I remember a common wrist-flick used to gewt lots of speed up for certian tricks.

If the yoyo is on fire and really hot, that might rule out all of those particular moves.

All my own opinion of course, cna any yoyo enthusiasts out there give us some professional comments?

Charles (or anyone),

Do you think that I might be able to do these moves with gloves on?

Cheers,

Salinger

azamember
3 posts

Posted:
Ok so I just had this same conversation....I'm a long time yoyoer and I dont think it will work because....not the heat (as people said diablos work) not the catching (gloves but it is a bit of an issue) not the balance same thing aagin (works on diablos) but because of the string....yoyos to come back up need to wind in the string thus the string would come in contact with the fire, its oly cotton so it would burn easy!! Fire proof string is to thick, yoyo string is belive it or not a very specilized string. Its treated in ways to keep the right tension and other stuff like that. Its this special string that allows yoyos to sleep. not just any string will do thus i suspect fire sting dont work as I have never seen/heard of a fire yoyo working! some people have been disousing making their own string (https://pub168.ezboard.com/fyoyo42048frm16.showMessage?topicID=748.topic) you can see that it aint as simepel as they first thought. However it can be done but i would recomed finding out if some1 lives near you who yoyos 2 help u make it as you really need 2 b good with yoyos and know how they work. good luck!
if it works give me 2!
aza

Yoyoing is better than poi!

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Salinger...sorry i didn't reply to your question (well, not for about 9 months anyway).

I guess you could do those tricks with the right gloves on, but they would have to be well made so as not to restrict your hand and wrist movements.

Aza...can you find out the properties of the string that make it so good for yo-yoing there is a chance of finding a fire-resistant version. do you have any information on that...?

And you may want to re-think your quote...it's not likely to help people with their first impressions of you. (in my opinion of course)

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

DarkDevilmember
233 posts

Posted:
At the halifax busker festival there was a booth selling Kevlar FireResistant Glooves for Fire Ball Juggling, if you could get your hands on a pair of these (Pun not intended) you may be set. I know Kevlar is often related to wicks and stuff, but they were made of kevlar and were fire resistant.

As for your question on doing tricks with gloves on... i think you may be able to do it... just practice a little...

Ladies and gentlemen, this is not a trick, this is a stunt. The difference between a stunt and a trick is that a trick is something that tricks or fools the audience, a stunt is something that only an idiot would do -Ivan, Ash Circle, 10/04/03

NickCMonkey Wrangler
183 posts

Posted:
There are yoyo specific gloves (made of neoprene, cover the palm, thumb, index and middle finger, used for reduction of friction between string and hand) so it's possible to yoyo with gloves on. The main problem is that the string is so crucial in the operation of a yoyo that kevlar cord wouldn't work very well. You might be able to get some stuff in but not really intricate stuff.

Switchmember
47 posts

Posted:
Did this ever happen? is this the video on www.firetwirlers.com?
Anyway, im a pro yo-yoer... Yes you could do this, but you'd need to use a metal yo-yo (of course) like a dif-e-yo https://www.dif-e-yo.com,
and these cost a fairly large sum of money. But if you have the money, do it, it looked good in a video i once saw, except they need more tricks :P.
You could just do loops, which would also work without it touching your hand.
Switch.

I kinda ran over his dog, well replace the word kinda with repeatedly, and the word dog with son.

caz86Twister Fire Starter ridin on a tratter
156 posts

Posted:
Talking of fire toys I had one of those 4 o'clock in the mornin ideas the other night. Anyone remember skippits? Those things you put round your ankle and jump over? I wonder if anyones invented fire versions of those. It would be cool cus you could poi at the same time......with a bit of practise!

Caz x

Caz