Forums > Help! > Forum notification

Login/Join to Participate

ZoltarBRONZE Member
Beginner
282 posts

Posted:
This is just an idea, not sure if it's possible here.

If you start a new thread you have the option of recieving emails when someone responds to your post. Works great

Is there anyway you can have emails sent to you when someone posts on a thread you have contributed to, but not created?

Or have I missed some tick in a box somewhere??

So much fire, so little body hair...

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
that current option is not available, so no: you haven't missed a tick!

Would you seriously want that though? Imagine if you contributed to a thread like the Either/Or thread, not knowing that it would end up going for months and getting well over a thousand replies.... It would drive you crazy.

*calls out for Malcolm*
"O Site Admin?? What do you think?"

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

ZoltarBRONZE Member
Beginner
282 posts

Posted:
Of course I would. Thats why I mentioned it.

If you think it's gonna be one of those threads that go on forever just dont tick the box.

All just thoughts

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
ahhh - so you're one of those lucky future seers, eh?

see what Malc has to say. It's a great idea, I'd just want the option of turning off the notification if things got out of hand.

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

ZoltarBRONZE Member
Beginner
282 posts

Posted:
Hehe, I see what you mean, or do I, just let me check my crystal ball..... but there is a way around that to flash fire. Sort of.....

If you make the mistake of ticking the box and the thread gets out of hand.... just set up a rule in your email client to delete the offending email.... bada bing, bada boom.... no problem

I guess it will create a lot more traffic for the web server..... not sure if thats an issue.

lobermayermember
8 posts

Posted:
HELP!!!
Non-Https Image Link

5 things:

-the email notifications don't work.if i tick the box: "email notification" when i create a new thread. i get emails as soon as people reply. then i click on the link in the mail, which is supposed to bring me to the thread. i get to the homeofpoi forum but it say the page doesn't exist.

-in forums normally u receive an email (if u tick the box) and then u don't get any more emails until u have visited the thread. even if there were several answers in the mean time. this prevents inbox overflow.

-in forums normally u can see a list of all the threads u receive email notifications on. u can remove the threads from your list if u no longer whish notifications

-in forums normally u have the option to check the box "email notifications" in every answer u write. not only when u start a thread

-in forums normally u can add threads u like to your list of email notification threads even without having to write in it. this button is usually available in the "reading a thread" view

more info:
www.phpbb.com
www.vbulletin.com
https://www.woltlab.info/en/produkte.php

https://www.yabbforum.com/

thx
peace and poo
lukas

And everything I used to be has spiraled into insanity...

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Malcolm:
(costs us bandwidth both ways).

and a site like this uses so much bandwidth, and the site is free hense no advertisments! makes it kewl on the eyes with no crappy banners every where.

each type of BB works in many different ways too not every one will have the same options - say phpBB and UBB.

i have to agree though that some of these options are very good, if your not an avid hop reader and can not check the board as often as most people as HoP most of the time has a fast pace they are good options. I cant see however that the community here would use those functions as most of us are here pretty much all of the time because were so into this community, i suspect most people here log on maybe 3 or more times a day.
but then i can see it from malcolm's point of view.
how many people just come here and put their name and email address in the member directory and never post a single time or even come back here! there's well over 4000 members here, i have sat and looked through the directory and the majority have never posted or goto about 60-100 posts and then you dont see them again, what if they had notifications clicked?

Malcolm is there a script that you can install to sort through the members list to see if members are active or non active? check this out! the juggling database has a trafic light system, that the user has to edit their clubs details in order to get the green light, but the best thing about it is, that we all get to see what clubs are active and if they are worth while going to their site for info, because if they are not active, is the information they suplied still the same as it was? ie meeting place, prices, times etc....

just a thought, could save you some admin time in the long run.

pk - active hop member since december 2001