SpArKiE*shiny shiny*
218 posts

Posted:
how the hell do u do it?????

ive been lookin in the lessons but cant find it...

so.... if someone could tell me- muchly appreciated!

And wherever you've gone and wherever we might go. It don't seem fair. Today just disappeared.

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
Okay, start with the weave, then reverse it (okay entirely facetious comment, I am so sorry.)

Teaching it to you would depend a lot on the way you first learnt the weave. If you are one of those people who just picked up poi and the weave was the first thing you could do, I would begin by hitting you over the head repeatedly, cos I found it really tough.

But the basic premise is this, in the normal weave, the circles spin away from your shoulder, or forwards. In the reverse weave, the circles go towards your shoulder, or backwards.

Do the forwards weave for a moment. You will notice that it is like your hands draw circles around one another on each side. If you do it with your hands apart, it is like you are turning a steering wheel. Okay, now imagine turning that wheel in the opposite direction.

At this stage you are probably a little bit tangled up. The reason why is that although you have now figured out where the circles go, you can't figure out one side to another. This is where the other name for the weave becomes important, "the chase". One hand needs to follow the other out of the circle and cross over your body. If you are starting on the right hand side of your body doing a circle towards your shoulder with your right hand, this will be the first hand to cross over to the other side of your body.

I hope that gives you a few starting points. Please ask more questions

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

SpArKiE*shiny shiny*
218 posts

Posted:
well.... i'll have to go wack myself around the head a bit wit ma poi now. (thats what usually happens when i try sumfin new)

and no i wasnt one of those ppl who got the weave straight up... took me an hour or so... for 2 days. make ya feel better? hehe.

although- i now havva question about another move. hehe.
this arvo i was tryin the windmill... and well... i cant get the poi to go behind me without hittin my self, but i cant even spin it behind me... i know its probly one of those things you have to practice alot... but any general tips on how the frig to get it goin behind me would be great.

And wherever you've gone and wherever we might go. It don't seem fair. Today just disappeared.

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
On the windmill, my first question would be can you do overhead butterfly?

This move requires a similar action with the hands and elbows in terms of moving the poi behind your head. It is just that you are going to have to do it longer with the windmill.

Okay, if you can do the above, well, I can start you off in a different way. Begin by doing a normal forwards weave. The circles are on either side of you. Then turn 90 degrees to your right, but without changing the direction of the poi. This way the circles should now be in front and behind.

If you are still having difficulty with the behind the head thing, try this exercise. Pick up one poi in your right hand, and practice doing a circle in front of you and a circle behind, over your head. Practice it with the other hand as well. You hand when taking the poi behind your head, should just drop back very loosely. be as loose as you can with your wrist.

Hope that helps

SpArKiE*shiny shiny*
218 posts

Posted:
so far- i cant do anything that involves my hands goin behind or above me at all. lol. arhhh how it frustrates me...

but some good news- i got that reverse weave goin in bout 10mins! yay for me! thx for the help on that btw...

next- the overhead butterfly i think... then i'll try the windmill...

im jus affraid of hittin my self in the head cos it hurts

but when i do learn it all- i will have u to thank, again, Rozi

adren@linemember
249 posts

Posted:
isnt the windmill kinda like the corkscrew standing up straight? correct me if im wrong...

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
no correction required there.

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
Yeah it is. No correction required (thanks coleman ) .

But the position that your arms are in when your hands go behind you head, is very similar to the position your hands are in when you do the overhead butterfly. If you are finding it tough to do the behind the head part of the windmill, then I would suggest learning the behind the head butterfly first.

the b-t-h butterfly is a quicker move and requires less of a controlled movement (it is sorta just a flick back over your head). So it is a nice step before trying the more controlled movement of the windmill.

AustinBRONZE Member
54 posts

Posted:
The best way to think of it is when you are doin the bog standard weave your hands are climbing over each other (if you look that is)

therefore in the backwards weave they should be sliding underneath each other it wierd but your left hand goes over to your right then your right hand spins on your roght (and goes straight over to the left) while the left hand makes another backwards spin on right side.

Jade Lynxmember
239 posts

Posted:
I've worked out that the hands slide under, and tried it empty-handed and gotten a smooth motion, but whenever i start up with actual poi, the first slide goes fine, but then when i try the other side, it goes sideways and whacks me in the head. If i can even change it to where it whacks me somewhere else, i'll have a better time of it. Whacks in the head are the 2nd biggest barrier for me to learn new moves (the first being flexi issues )...

We got the MikeZ in the house, woot!Glue the ham, hat baby!

poigmarmite and nutella sandwich
1,590 posts

Posted:
OOOH YEAH!!! I JUST LEARNT HOW TO DO IT!!!
And...
A REALLY good teaching method

Basically:
First you need to split it up and do it one-handed, but you don't need the other hand without the poi to do anything. Just let your hand with the poi in do a figure of 8 BACKWARDS. You need to learn this really well with both hands, then
Put them both together doing a figure of eight with 2 poi at the same time (i.e they are both on the same side at the same time), then once you've learnt to do that really well, make them follow each other rather than let them go around at the same time. Then, you'll be laughing. ubblol

THE hop Pyro.
(with parents)
Unowned

bluengoldfireBRONZE Member
7 posts

Posted:
with the windmill, think forwards-forwards, backwards backwards with the hands and the poi spin the same direction (reverse is opposite). Getting used to the poi zooming 6" from your head is the hardest part (scary).

ND '10 GO IRISH!!