Forums > Help! > how do you all put out your poi fire early??

Login/Join to Participate

jonpaulmember
4 posts

Posted:
tonight i cant spin till they go out and need to put out manually -really never needed to . i have a few ideas but am wanting others advice so my simple show doesnt become a <<>>??? thank you very much

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
When we do performances that require precise timing like yours, we smother the flames with a damp towel. Have one of your crew (safety/spotter) be at the ready as soon as you come off stage....

Viola! No mess, no fuss - just a towel forever dedicated to fire play Don't use your mum's best guest towels!

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

jonpaulmember
4 posts

Posted:
thank you so much. so you think it will be easier for me to wrap in damp towel to put out flames or is it easier to dip into lamp oil to put out? ultra pure lamp 99%paraffin is what were using.thanks

FlyntSILVER Member
Intrepid Penguin
5,635 posts

Posted:
errrr definately a damp towel!!!

or, you could be fancy schmancy, and blow them out, but this can take a few blows, and its probably just smarter and easier to smother them with a towel...

Currently on the right side up of the world.

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
I agree with Flynt Jonpaul - why take an unnecessary risk (however minor it may be) by dunking live flames into fuel when you can just smother the flames with a towel?

Another way to put your flames out, however this canes your wicks, is to slam them onto the ground.... But they have to be nearly out anyway and it doesn't always work.

smother smother, the answer is no other.

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

jonpaulmember
4 posts

Posted:
Flash & Flint - Those are all the words i need to hear-- A towel it is--we are dancing around a 4x4 block and i was thinking to put a carved punkin on the block with only the top cut and inside gutted but tried and it didnt satisfy me enough!! To much oxygen still. So towel it is and i thank you both for helping me out..Have a Irie day!!