Forums > Help! > Teaching adult ed.

Login/Join to Participate

(andrew)member
140 posts

Posted:
hello,

im thinking about teaching an adult ed course on poi, beginers, no fire. just wondering if anyone knew anything about it or could give advice, you know, class size, popularity, how long for, all that. any input appreciated..

thanks!

The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all thebad girls live.

FlyntSILVER Member
Intrepid Penguin
5,635 posts

Posted:
Sparx, have you contacted the salamanca crew? get in touch with Adren@line, i think she was trying to organise something earlier this year, or late last year, with having someone come down from melbourne to teach a class.

She would probably also have an idea if there was anything else around...

You will need to contact TAFE and ask if it can be put on their corriculum, and sort out how much you want to be paid (including kero and wicking and poi material levies) and find out if there are enough people to make it viable?

Or, you could just be really cool, and advertise evening classes at a park somewhere, and just do general teaching, on donations.....
`
goodluck bro!

Currently on the right side up of the world.

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
Hey Sparx,

There are a couple of tough considerations, insurance being the first. I know it sounds rotten, you probably will have to ignore any idea of teaching people with fire. You will probably need to do a big unit on safety.

A lot of community & evening colleges run special interest courses, so it might be a good idea to get in touch and see what their application process is. You may not get the full income from the course, and only be given an hourly fee, but you will be covered by their insurance and they will provide the premises.

If you need any help with course development you are welcome to contact me. I have a Cert IV in Workplace Training & Assessment, & part of my uni degree was in adult education. Ade is also an expert on training stuff, she has the same Cert IV and a lot more experience than me.

Hope that helps

Roz

[ 17 October 2002, 21:55: Message edited by: Rozi ]

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

(andrew)member
140 posts

Posted:
thank you Rozi!

and flynt to of course, i havent thought the whole thing through yet, but had decided on these things.

im not in it for money, i LIKE teaching people poi.

i would do some fire demonstrations throughout the course, but never let a student near it.

fire saftey, i would be huge on it, for sure, dead set essential.

i was thinking of making them all a set of chains with detachable ribbons, amd at the end some glow stick performances, once again, no fire for students.

small group, probably ony 8, unless i do contact salamanca group.

oh, and try and impart the importance of individual style, making them clones of my self would not be good! i suppose thats a huge reason why i should contact salamance spinners, so they could see different styles..

thats all really, worksheets on the origins, saftey and wick making, with big referals to this site of course.

um yes, course length im not to sure, an hour a week is probably heaps for beginers in class time, with the insistance of heaps of home practise of course but for how many weeks

is their any reaon why i shouldnt do this?
any teaching tips?

The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all thebad girls live.

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
Just as an idea, you might want to look at an hour & a half a week, or a full day workshop. Either way, it gives you the time to settle people into the environment.

I would suggest the following overall units:

What is poi? (History + demonstration + opportunity for each person to have a short "go" of the poi)
What can be done with it? (demonstration + discussion of different types/styles/other toys)
Safety Unit (generic safety + fire safety)
Making a set of poi
Using your poi (lessons on what to do)
Where to from here? (Style, extending the moves, practice, etc)

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
Sparx, drop me a PM if you like - I'd be happy to give you some tips on teaching. I'm going to agree with Rozi and suggest insurance (fairly easily obtainable in oz for what you want to do).

You might want to start with an icebreaker of some sort to get your group to begin to gel together. And don't forget adult education is a tad different to primary and high school education - different approaches. I'm sure there's a certain nyc around that could give you some tips for teaching young 'uns

Then you'd want a session plan of some sort, spelling out what you're doing, and what you need to approach that session.

Think about the different learning styles of individuals - and try to make sure there's activities to appeal to all styles (if possible).

A very very very simple approach to training is:
1. Tell them what you're going to tell them (intro)
2. Tell them (session)
3. Tell them waht you've told them (conclusion)

Time to practice skills in class would also be important.

There's a lot of approaches to teaching adults. This post is just a few suggestions, by no means a how to do it!

It can be great fun teaching adults. I did a workshop a few weeks ago, and it was fantastic. It's great to see us oldies leaving a workshop with the express purpose of going home and destroying their brooms