Forums > Help! > Discussion Group Security Question

Login/Join to Participate

EthersmithBRONZE Member
6 posts

Posted:
Hey all. I have just recently registered here. I have also recently moved, and until I can get a wireless inet connection at my new house, I am stuck using the internet at net cafes. I did not realize that I would be logged on to this BB automatically via cookies, because I did set a password, but it would seem that anyone using this browser can... and will be automatically logged in as me if they go to homeofpoi.com
This is less than desirable since I have my political career to think of. Afterall, someone could just hop on and post from my login that I enjoy the gentle art of smearing jelly doughnuts in my hair... which I most certainly do not!

Any suggestions?

Svye

Locoflymember
62 posts

Posted:
my only suggestion would be....hmmm...get out of politics?

From the makers of soylent green.

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
I second Locofly!!!

You can also do a couple of things. After you have finished posting, log out of the system as the first step. (you can find the logout link in the grey bar just underneath "my profile", next to >> Hello Svye Ethersmith). That way you will need to log in every time you return to HoP.

The next step is to clear the cache (also known as the history). In Internet Explorer, you can go to Tools, then Internet Options. This should bring up a dialogue box. On the General Tab, at the bottom of the box, there should be an option to clear the history. This clears the history of all pages you have visited.

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

FireMikeZLaguna dude
1,438 posts

Posted:
third & finally, when you are in that Tools > Internet Options pop-up box, under the General Tab which shows you the delete History option,

click on the delete COOKIES option above it. that deletes your Home of Poi identity on your local computer, even if someone else does go to Home of Poi, even on their own. then it doesn't even matter if you delete History or not.

of course, Rozi's first step, logging out AT Home of Poi's screen, is the best, and you might not need to go into Tools > Internet options, since Home of Poi might not accept a post by anyone using the Back menu item to go to old pages at HoP where you were logged on? if you care, test that, or i will another day if you like. sorry, gotta do some webwork tonight.

~ Mike, SoCal pyros' webmaster (in training)

[ 11 October 2002, 16:09: Message edited by: FíreMîke ]

molten cheers,

~ FireMike

FireMikeZ@yahoo.com (personal messages welcome, no promo spam, please!)
Laguna, California, US

EthersmithBRONZE Member
6 posts

Posted:
Hey all,

Thanks for the advice (except the quip about my political career... I take running for local superhero very seriously)

--S

Locoflymember
62 posts

Posted:
youve got my vote.

From the makers of soylent green.

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
I know that you will be able to make your own leather super-hero mask So you got my vote too!!!

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

FireMikeZLaguna dude
1,438 posts

Posted:
could lend ya the butterfly-wing "jacket" of my Sufi dervish set (without tha whirlin skirt pants), traditional blue, ya need something to swoop in?

molten cheers,

~ FireMike

FireMikeZ@yahoo.com (personal messages welcome, no promo spam, please!)
Laguna, California, US