Jelloambiguous
646 posts

Posted:
After the first use and all, how are you supposed to store your wicks? Also, for putting out wicks, is it alright just to dunk them in water?

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Nobody knows. I'm gonna tell you right now.

You may get a bunch of opinions but nobody, as far as I know, actually has anything more than rumor or speculation.

Soaking them in water seems like a bad idea because the chains (and metal in metallic kevlar) can rust. But I don't know for sure...

As for storing wicks, unless someone has tested and proven something, you might as well just leave them about without a care. My wicks last forever and I don't do nothin'.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Jelloambiguous
646 posts

Posted:
Ahhh, I see, alrighty. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't being left out on some seemingly important knowledge .

As for the water thing, I wasn't thinking of soaking them, just quickly dunking as to kill the flame.

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
I wouldn't go for the water dunking myself, since then you've got to make sure all the water's gone before you soak and light up again.

If you're using paraffin, you can dunk the wicks in quickly, and they'll still go out without any problems, since paraffin has a relatively high flashpoint and takes a fair bit of heat to get it lit.

edit.. just make sure you don't splash any paraffin anywhere when you dunk them back in

[ 14 September 2002, 11:23: Message edited by: TheBovrilMonkey ]

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Locoflymember
62 posts

Posted:
dont dunk them in water. it sucks. you wont get a good burn till they dry out completely. dunk them quickly in the fuel youre using to stop them from smoldering. i use citronella which has a high flashpoint. smells REALLY terrible, bright flame, long burns. if youve already dunked them in water and your burns suck just hang them outside in the sun for a few days till they dry out. good as new.

From the makers of soylent green.

Jelloambiguous
646 posts

Posted:
Alrighty than, no water
Non-Https Image Link

[ 14 September 2002, 12:06: Message edited by: Jello ]

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
Damp cloth, puts em out quick, dosnt get them soaking. (water is a bad idea, wicks will be really poorly untill dry)

I seen peeps put out poi wicks by smacking them off the ground, but it only seems to work when they burned down a lot anyway.

N

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
I agree with Nix? smother them with a damp towel or something, or.... keep playing til they burn out! I've always done this and my wicks last forever too...

I'm with NYC on this one.. I treat my wicks with no special respect and they do very well.

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.