Forums > Help! > How to begin and end a routine?

Login/Join to Participate

NickCMonkey Wrangler
183 posts

Posted:
Relatively new to spinning poi, picked it up after watching one of Ash Circle's shows (Hey Rick, nice stuff you and Amber put on). Just wondering what a good way to start off a routine would be. Something basic that would ease myself and onlookers (I've actually had someone walking by my house stop and watch when I was swinging sparklers, it felt good) into the swing of things or wind down at the end.

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
depends on the crowd.
try to start with something you can't transition into yet, like a jump, then build up your nice trix up to a finale.
trust me when i say that it makes a huge difference to have fun, cus huvaing fun cannot be hidden, and adds a very nice dimension to your routine! talk, chastise the staff when you drop it! make whacky wriggling or low movements with the firetoy, and make your safety wear a Mr Bungle T-Shirt.
or something.

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
As Bender says (although he may not have noticed that you mentioned poi), it all depends on the audience, what the show is for, if it is for money, fun or even a fee from an event organiser...

Paid shows are very different to busking, as busking requires the building of a crowd and paid shows are better off keeping expectations low and pulling off spectacular stuff whenthey least expect it.

A bit more info and we can provide some more specifics.

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

NickCMonkey Wrangler
183 posts

Posted:
My main goal is to get warmed up, easily flow into my initial moves and look semi cool doing so. Not into paid shows or busking, just for myself and a friend or two.

Raymund Phule (Fireproof)Enter a "Title" here:
2,905 posts

Posted:
Personally I like starting within my own fire trails. If your using poi, use some freshly dipped wicks and you can make some cool fire trails on the ground. Not exactly safe mind you but they look pretty darn cool.

To end a show, I normally end when my wicks go out, but then again everything depends on the aundience and what your hosts/sponcers want. If your just outside at a party just hanging out, nobody really cares so dont worry too much about it.

Some Jarhead last night: "this dumb a$$ thinks hes fireproof"

Mark PBRONZE Member
old hand
1,031 posts

Posted:
For warming up and warming down, I tend to use exactly the same moves as I do during my full performance. Just take it slowly to begin with and then work up to your full speed.

There are 100's of stretches that you would have to do to warm every muscle that you use during a poi set and I think the easiest way is to just take it easy to begin with.

Find a song that has a nice slow intro and then builds up to full speed after a while

Mark P

LapaireSILVER Member
36 posts

Posted:
I'm curious about this too. I've put together a little staff routine that starts out with just walking around and making eye contact, drawing attention before I get into the bulk of the routine. I do a few throws to catch the attention of people far away if in a street setting. Then I do the fun stuff interspersed with breathers like poses and such. I end by pirouetting into a full split and putting the staff out with my hands; you could easily trade the split for a kneel and/or use cloths to put out the flames. Some people blow them out but this looks awkward in a split.

When there is no place that you have decided to call your own then no matter where you go you are always heading home -Soseki

LapaireSILVER Member
36 posts

Posted:
Forgot to mention; except for the throws, which don't look as cool with poi (IMHO), you can do all these things with poi instead of staff. I think a real good ender with poi would be wrapping the poi around your body and putting them out against yourself with your hands/arms -> does this make sense?

When there is no place that you have decided to call your own then no matter where you go you are always heading home -Soseki

Diamond Poimember
10 posts

Posted:
Teehee... Not much help, but I usually end it when I feel sore. Sometimes I go for ages, Sometimes its over very quickly.

Don't read this, I AM the gibberish.

MeneeococoaGOLD Member
torn and bleeding warrior of love
133 posts

Posted:
When i'm ravin, i always use techno music.The way that techno grows with anticipation at the start, i do the same thing. First with a figure 8, right hand over, left hand over, switchin with the measures. Then, after about 4 measures or so, i switch to 3 beat weaves... Then 4 beat....then 5 beat...by that time, the techno is at the really good part, so i go all out with moves. At the end, i fisnish with really tight moves, mostly ones i made up, then a wrap, where i grab them instead of changing directions.

I need to find something witty for this so people like me...