Forums > Help! > used wick covers for when practicing

Login/Join to Participate

qvixenmember
2 posts

Posted:
I need to practice more with my actual wicks as the weight and feel is different enough from my practice poi that I always have to get RE-used to them when I light up.

What sorts of coverings for the wick do you suggest - I have seen plastic bags - but seems there would be a potential for melting at some point, wanted to make little bags (like marble bags) to put them in and tie around, but think they would end up all smelly (lamp oil)....

is there a lightweight fireproof fabric I should use?

would like to make them TODAY! Leave for Burning man in mere days.

THANKS!
suzQ!

suzQ! You only get so many words in this life, and I intend to bloody-well use all of mine!!

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Some plastics will disolve in your fuel. I use cotton socks to cover my wicks.

dulce flamesmember
234 posts

Posted:
I've tried plastic and socks and both tend to fall off.... I was thinking about this and I've decided I am going to try ace bandages... I'll let you know how it turns out, but it seems like they'd stay put.

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Oh, tying the socks on with a string or velco type thing about the wick helps. And my wicks are big, so that helps too!

dulce flamesmember
234 posts

Posted:
Yeah, my old wicks were smaller and the tube kind - now with my cathedral wicks stuff stays pretty well. I did use the self adhesive bandage stuff yesterday and then a ziplock bag and it surprisingly stayed in place. Much better than getting black soot all over my pants practicing BTBW. - I say if you have tube wicks, try the bandage if they're cathedral, you have more options.

Kinudin (Soul Fyre)veteran
1,325 posts

Posted:
Tons and tons of rubber bands around the top of the sock so it doesn't come off? Or duct tape...

qvixenmember
2 posts

Posted:
THanks! I think I will do the sock inside a "marble bag" kind of thing that ties - thinking it will add a lot of weight...but...we will see
(ace bandanges...hmmmmmmm.....hmmmmmm)

suzQ! You only get so many words in this life, and I intend to bloody-well use all of mine!!