FlameDamemember
30 posts

Posted:
Ok this might be dumb but I'll go for it anyway. I have only been twirling a week or so and I'm doing a workshop on the weekend and I am going to light up. Its the purpose of the workshop a safe environment to light up in. Honestly though they are soo going on about natural fibred clothing, is it really that important. If I were to perform somewhere in the future. How can I have a decent looking costume made of cotton?

Thanks in advance for all your help.

PS. How should I decide on a name? Does a funky name get more business than a normal one. I'm not gonna use my real name cos people are always mistaking it for Julie and its not.

I believe in freedom, love, truth, and beauty.

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
Look at it this way, if you hit yourself with flaming poi and you were wearing cotton, it'd singe a few bits off it and you'd be fine.
If you were wearing something synthetic, it'd tend to melt instead of singe, so you might be looking at having to pick out bits of melted clothing out of any burns you get - probably not too much fun.

Leather's a great option for costumes - flame resistant and slightly kinky

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

PeDeymember
189 posts

Posted:
bovril said it right.

Any thing synthetic is goin to melt rather than burn.

I wear jeans and a vest top, or just go topless.

Jeans are realy good I do a few leg wraps and all i get is a few soot marks on my jeans and a warm crouch.

Also try and keep to close weave fabric of the natural virtiety

ask yourself this??.......... When was the last time you dug a hole you could be proud of???
answers on a post card

dromepixieveteran
1,463 posts

Posted:
There are many natural fabrics besides cotton... It shouldnt be too hard to find something nice to wear...

I really would not like to pick out bits of polyester out of my skin...
Basically synthetics melt (consistency of melted plastic) and kinda bond to your skin... If its a bad burn you might not even be able to get the stuff out; someone might have to do it for you.

I really would not push my luck especially if you dont have confidence to not have an accident...

You must realise that this IS dangerous!!!! You cant be overly careful! It is always better to be safe rather than be sorry.

Much love, Drome

JUGGLEwithyourmind!

FlameDamemember
30 posts

Posted:
Yea, even when I posted the question I knew it was important I guess I just needed that bit of reminding. I do like the idea of leather. I am slightly on the kinky side.

I really like the idea of topless but since I am female it may be offensive to some.

Thanks,
Crimson.

I believe in freedom, love, truth, and beauty.

Maximusmember
250 posts

Posted:
I agree--it is that important and more: melted gobs of burnt synthetic have to be surgically removed. Only natural materials will do. In addition to cotton, there's wool, leather, and metal. I make kinky metal bras that are perfect for firedancing.
Whether topless or not depends on your audience. If it is a family show with kids then it is in questionable taste. But going topless is preferred by many firedancers, male or female. You get a thin layer of sweat all over your skin right away. This layer of sweat protects you very well from those micro-second touches you get from errant poi and rebellious staffs.

Maximus