Forums > Social Chat > Need help. Up comming street gig.

Login/Join to Participate

Knagimember
397 posts

Posted:
I've had some pretty bad experances with the police I've been shut down everytime they've seen me.I have a gig comming up like tommarow and there's a chance they won't be able to get the permit for us to perform indoors. Can anyone tell me how I can make damn sure the cops will not come up and shut us down outside the venue?------------------We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim MorrisonMost Memerable crowd saying "Hey look that dude's gonna set himself on fire again!"

We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim MorrisonIt's going to come from a direction you didn't predict at a moment of chaos which you didn't see coming. -- NYC

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
Heya Knagi,I'm wondering why you keep getting shut down? what are your safety practices? how do you deal with the authorities? how dangerous is your act?reason I ask is because perhaps some of these things are contributing to your constant closure?just curious....

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
They are shutting you down because they think you are a hazard. Seems like a simple equation to me...How come you havent got a permit? How do you expect to avoid problems with the law without going through the proper channels?You really want to not be shut down? Get some professionalism. That should hold them off.Muffin Fluffy

Knagimember
397 posts

Posted:
I live in a city with way to many cops. More then once I've seen 3 cops show up for a noise complant. You should see what happens when they get someone speeding. There's nothing out here for them to do. It not that I'm a hazard it's just that they see it and know in some lazy part of there head that it should be illegal. So they tell me to stop and I never aurge about it. I've asked alot of them now about how I can go about doing it legally and I've heard just about every answer under the sun from them. Mostly ignorance. I was walking with my staff one end lit slung over my shoulder. Leaving a candle light vigil and they still tried to get me to put it out.All they have ever gotten to see is simple chains and once staff with no fuel in sight and a clearly visable towel. And a few times they've seen me practicing unlit around my place. Once they even wanted me to go indoors with that. Thank god this is in a city 200 miles away.As for professinalism pele's got me trained wink I've been talking with the promoter for about a month now and there's been things that he's been trying really hard to fix. He just sent me an e-mail tonight sayin the fire inspector walked though the building this morning and it isn't even up to fire code so that's why I'm here now. It's not gonna be able to be done inside. And there's no way for one firemarshall to tell who knows how many cops in this city I'm going to, that the dude whippin fire around is cool.So the question still stands. How do I make damn sure I won't get shut down.. This is a paying gig and I do have a contract and there's 400 ppl comming expecting some fire to be thrown around. Btw flash. The cops haven't seen anything of my badass toys grin Only the most simple stuff. I've alrdy told the promoter that I love adding wicks to my chains as the night gets going.

We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim MorrisonIt's going to come from a direction you didn't predict at a moment of chaos which you didn't see coming. -- NYC

Maelstrommember
135 posts

Posted:
Knagi and I live in one of the most consurative areas in state. They realy make it hard to do anything out of the ordinary. But as far as I can gather, for the gig, as long as the venue owner says it's okay for you to be outside your okay. But it has to be the owner of the property. In order to spin fire in Ohio fully legally you must: 1. have owner's permission 2. insurance 3. Permit for the area that you want to spin in. (first fee) 4. pyrotech license (pay a second fee, take a test on safety and storage. Fees range according to what your doing. Some body that dose firework shows gets charged more then somone shooting off fire works in the back yard) 5. If you want to spin on the street as a street performer then you'll need a license for that to ( the last and final FEE)If you have all of that then there isn't any problem with you being anywhere you want. Most importantly you have to have the owner's permission and proof of it. If you have that they really can't say anything. By the way that is in the order that they will ask for the information trying to shut you down. I practise outside of my house all of the time. Cops don't bother me because it's my space, I'm the owner and I give permission to spin fire outside of my house.

Nothing good ever comes from hanging out with normal people.