michellomember
13 posts

Posted:
im not sure if its just me, but i have blisters on my fingers from swinging...im thinking that its the way i hold the strings or maybe coz theyre shoe laces. well, anyway, is there anyway to prevent blisters from happening?

you are no Clarence Wong, you stole my gameslave..you said you had to IGGINS! - Gaz}8> the irken invasion is coming...<O{

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
nope hun, tehy happen to everyone.

err... you can prevnt them sorta, but then you just haev to go and get them at a later date... *shakes head at self* i went through that whole process twice....

they add character

put band-aids on themnm when they're fresh and you wnat to practice, stop when healed. repeat as nesc.

hope taht helps hun

peace & luv, kyri

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

Whiffle Squeekaddict
416 posts

Posted:
hehehe, you can tell a twirler if you feel their two pointer fingers and theres huge callouses on the outside edge...

i thinks its wicked cool, just like safe crackers of old always had really long pinky finger nails, that they used to help break locks, its a sign of the trade, take the pain and then wear them with pride...

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
I don't have any callouses on my fingers (my hands are as smooth as a baby's bottom - not that I make a habit of comparing them, I don't have any babies to grope ), and the only time I remember having blisters is when I first started spinning.
I was spinning a bodged set of juggling balls and thin rope that didn't have any handles and rubbed my fingers raw because I was spinning them all day, every day for a week.

I suggest you find some webbing or leather and make yourself a pair of handles that you can tie the shoelaces onto when you spin - having something that spreads the pressure of spinning will make it alot easier on your fingers.

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

FireMikeZLaguna dude
1,438 posts

Posted:
i'm new to the art, but i have the definite impression what kind of handles you use have a huge effect on this; if you use wrist loops, for example, instead of finger-loops at all, so the cord or part of the leather passes between the fingers, you won't have the same twisting against your finger flesh, right, and probably little on your wrists either. i'm still experimenting myself.

molten cheers,

~ FireMike

FireMikeZ@yahoo.com (personal messages welcome, no promo spam, please!)
Laguna, California, US

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Hands that do poi can be as soft as your face, with comfy handles and string!

I use handles, lovely soft leather and suede things I make myself. Cost virtually nothing as you can go to a fabric shop and buy leather off cuts dirt cheap.

When winding to shorten my strings I hold the sting tightly between thumb and finger so that there's minimal friction. The type of string makes a big difference as well. A course, thin string rubs more so go and find some softer string of cotton cord that'll treat your hands better.

I'm off for a manicure...

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
hehe dom, now i get it.

my orignial blisters were from having chain wrapped around my hand (polar-fleecy handles yum) and the truth is it got annoying for it to hurt agian every time i wrapped the chain around my hand. so i gave in to callouses. i don't like holding onto the chain too hard when it's wrapped *shrugs* does it make any difference really? i mean in ur moves?

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

Kinudin (Soul Fyre)veteran
1,325 posts

Posted:
I don't have any calases... (sp?) I feel left out. *starts rubbing the handles on his poi harder* Dangit.

quote:
does it make any difference really? i mean in ur moves?
Other than shorter strings? I dun think so, not really.

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
hello,

calouses are great! really feels like you been doing something. getting them is not so fun. the thing is once you got em, keep em, they can come off in the bath (go all soft and you can bite the skin off, yum) and stuff but if you prise away all that hard skin youll only have to regrow it.

I still have calouses on my thumb and first finger from crumbling hot hashish, even tho Ive been smoking green for te last 2 years! (sorry, smokin nothin now, going into withdrawl)

love thy hard and scratchy bits, they take the sh@t and just get better.

N

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Staff are much better for callouses, but if you really really want some, do some long-distance unicycling...

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I never had this problem, and it's not my pois because a friend of mine learned on my pois and his hands got all beat up.

I think it's an individual thing. I guess I have tough skin.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

Mark PBRONZE Member
old hand
1,031 posts

Posted:
The only time I have actually managed to rip my fingers to shreads was while I was shortening an old pair of wires to do moves like burn the nose and it b!**dy hurt!

I have since lost one of those poi and since had no problems as I have a lovely set of chains to shorten now

Mark P

PukSILVER Member
Sweet talented nutter
2,615 posts

Posted:
Chill they'll toughen up

that shrewd and knavish sprite

Called Robin Good Fellow ; are you not he that is frighten of the maidens of the villagery - fairy

I am the merry wander of the night -puk

MaDMouSeFiReBoYmember
49 posts

Posted:
That that does not kill you will only make you stronger! (To be said in an oriental kinda accent, "Father Buddha said".... and all that jazz!)

Leather...MMMmmmmmm, good for the fingers, smells nice and well, its LEATHER, MMMMmmmmmm!

MMFB

Distorted sex drive in space was already known to be a sticky knoblem - BRASS EYE

FireMikeZLaguna dude
1,438 posts

Posted:
Kinudin, i got something to give ya calluses (sp?!!!) now....(heh heh)...works real well, i've proven it! and addicted ones can't put it down even while it's happenin to them... and anyone else here...funny, Ivan

oops, michello, ya were hopin to avoid callouses, sorry

molten cheers,

~ FireMike

FireMikeZ@yahoo.com (personal messages welcome, no promo spam, please!)
Laguna, California, US

michellomember
13 posts

Posted:
well, i figured out what my problem was. i was using ghetto poi. i just had some little bean bag animals tied to the end of my shoelaces. those little guys are pretty heavy compared to glowsticks and yeah. the shoelace rubbed up against my fingers and whatnot. anyway, problem solved. now, does anyone know how i can protect myself from getting hit by glowsticks?

you are no Clarence Wong, you stole my gameslave..you said you had to IGGINS! - Gaz}8> the irken invasion is coming...<O{

Kinudin (Soul Fyre)veteran
1,325 posts

Posted:
Dodge more?

VictoriaBRONZE Member
29 posts

Posted:
I've been hit with glowsticks so many times I've just gotten usedd to it
but I find that wearing pants as opposed to wearing shorts helps a lot (for your legs at least)