Forums > Help! > alternate butterfly/mexican wave

Login/Join to Participate

michellomember
13 posts

Posted:
ive been having a lot of trouble with this...i used the lesson on this site, but i still havent been able to get the alt butterfly down...does anyone have any tips that might help? on a different note, does anyone know where i could buy some poi (not of the fire variation) down in san diego?

you are no Clarence Wong, you stole my gameslave..you said you had to IGGINS! - Gaz}8> the irken invasion is coming...<O{

Kinudin (Soul Fyre)veteran
1,325 posts

Posted:
Goto Party City, get 2 glowsticks. Goto UPS and get bubble wrap. Goto Vons or some other grocery store, and buy shoe laces (Rite aid is where I buy mine).

Unwrap glowsticks. Tie the shoestrings to the ends and play away =)

michellomember
13 posts

Posted:
thanks! bubble wrap...i hope that works. id hate to knock myself unconcious while practicing...

you are no Clarence Wong, you stole my gameslave..you said you had to IGGINS! - Gaz}8> the irken invasion is coming...<O{

Whiffle Squeekaddict
416 posts

Posted:
i thought the bubble wrap was just for fun...

ok, start with your poi apart and swining in the butterfly plane, now to do a butterfly, one would normally just bring them together, however, for alternate, start swining them so that if you bring them together very slowly, the heads will never collide, the hand motion is almost that of drumming on something, one hand goes up, one hand goes down, as opposed to a normal butterfly where both hands go up and down at the same time...

hope that helps...

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
lol @ kinudin.

mish, glowsticks hurt!!!

also glowsticks != fire poi (at least for a little while- i still can't do all my poi moves on glowsticks)

if you can get someone to make you tennis ball poi or if you can they will be ur best friend. tons of info in technical on how to do this... balls in socks also work

and shoestrings are evil imo but if yu can stand em' more power to ya.

dog leashes are cheap and easy chains. if you make nice handles, dog collars and quick links make ever changable chains for practice and fire...

i foudn that once i knew chasing the sun alternate butterfly was a synch. but that's not all there is too it. listen to whiffle, he is usually full of good advice

hope you get to hook up with ur nutty SoCal crew

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....