• All Purchases made this month instantly go into the draw to win a USD $ 100.00 credit to your HoP account.

Phuhzzzie Wuhzzzie the Pumpkin King

Total posts: 141
Posted:I hear people say that firetwirlers use a special fuel that gives off a cold flame that doesn't burn. Where can I get some? Is it safe to breathe with? Help.

A wise man once said to me, Hey! You! Get out of my wardrobe! and in a way, I guess he was right.

Delete Topic

Dom
BRONZE Member since Dec 2001

Dom

Carpal \'Tunnel

Total posts: 3009
Posted:What! You found out about this already! Normally this is a secret only imparted to fire spinners after the secret initation ritual (which involves squeaky toys, nutella, self flagellation and mangoes).

It's called 'Cold Fire' and comes from Imagination Fuels, headquarters in NeverNever Land

Delete

Stone
GOLD Member since Jun 2001

Stream Entrant

Total posts: 2830
Posted:Phuhzzie mate, its not real fire

Apparently, cold fire is one of those urban myths Do a search.

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

Delete

adamrice

adamrice

poo-bah

Total posts: 1015
Posted:What a gyp! They had nutella at your initiation, Dom? We just had lousy store-brand peanut butter at mine.

P-W, fire is hot. There's no such thing as cold flame. Firedancing is dangerous. Firebreathing is very dangerous. No shortcuts. Some fuels burn cooler than others, but even these comparatively cool fuels will burn you.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

Delete

Dom
BRONZE Member since Dec 2001

Dom

Carpal \'Tunnel

Total posts: 3009
Posted:Yep, I paid extra for the gold initiation. If you're going to do something, do it right! Although my budget didn't stretch to the platinum initiation and that's real classy!

Here's the science: Fire is combination of a fuel and oxygen and involves ripping apart and formation of molecluar bonds which releases heat and light. So there's no way to get cold fire. As Adam says some burn hotter than others and the fuels have different properties best suited to different uses, but it's all hot stuff.

Delete

TheBovrilMonkey
SILVER Member since Sep 2001

TheBovrilMonkey

Liquid Cow

Total posts: 2629
Posted:The platinum initiation allegedly includes nutella and marmite, so you can have whichever you prefer and offer the other up as sacrifice to stop the firetoys hitting you so much

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Delete

Charles
BRONZE Member since Jun 2001

Charles

Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer

Total posts: 3989
Posted:It is possible to get cold fire...you make a normal fire, then put it in the freezer!

Seriously phuzzie, the cold fire thing may stem from the public's perception of magicians always using tricks and gimmicks, and is in the same area as those who think devil sticks have magnets in them...

Despite us laughing at them, it's simply their way of fitting something that doesn't really suit there current concept of the world, into that world. A few more sightings of firedancers and they'll come around.

Interesting to note, if I'm ever asked "is that REAL fire" , I just do a burnoff, and they accept it straight away.

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Delete

Phuhzzzie Wuhzzzie the Pumpkin King

Total posts: 141
Posted:OK OK a couple of things:

1.Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!

2. I thought that this would happen, I posted this as a toungue in cheek parody of an actual post.

3. Not everthing on the net is true.

4. Sorry for wasting bandwidth.

A wise man once said to me, Hey! You! Get out of my wardrobe! and in a way, I guess he was right.

Delete

Doc Lightning
GOLD Member since May 2001

Doc Lightning

HOP Mad Doctor

Total posts: 13920
Posted:But PW, we weren't kidding about the initiation.

Malcolm doeesn't do them, either. You have to send a check...no...cash to me. I'll process your order...promptly.

-Mike )'(
Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

"A buckuht 'n a hooze!" -Valura

Delete

Mark P
BRONZE Member since Oct 2001

Mark P

old hand

Total posts: 1031
Posted:lol, just read this thread and it reminded me of a little bit of information which I learnt at the weekend and really ought to share - Fire is Hot and Wraps really dont go down very well when you have badly sunburnt arms

Mark P

Delete

glowshow

Total posts: 406
Posted:quote:Originally posted by Mark P:
Wraps really dont go down very well when you have badly sunburnt arms

Mark PAmen to that!!! See if you can make out the white band on my arm where my watch had been! Ouch! That was an angry sunburn!

Now, as for flame that isn't (very hot), I would have to cast my vote for denatured alcohol mixed with boric acid (see green flames). Not nearly as hot as anything else. In fact, it burns so cool that I can grab my wicks (That have wire wrapped around them) with my bare hands immediately after I have finished a burn, and they aren't even warm. I use towel wicks, and I have a set that I use just for green. They have lasted over 20 burns so far with no visible signs of wear. Not exactly cold, but pretty close. The flame will, however, still singe some hair.

FREE TIBET!!! (with the purchase of a 44 oz. drink)What do you want to be when you grow up?I want to be a kid again!I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.~~~J~~~

Delete

FlameDame

Total posts: 30
Posted:quote:Originally posted by Charles (INFERNO):
It is possible to get cold fire...you make a normal fire, then put it in the freezer!

Interesting to note, if I'm ever asked "is that REAL fire" , I just do a burnoff, and they accept it straight away.Sorry for being slow but what is a burnoff?

Thanks.

I believe in freedom, love, truth, and beauty.

Delete

Charles
BRONZE Member since Jun 2001

Charles

Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer

Total posts: 3989
Posted:Pleased to help...A burnoff is a staff move, which makes two big fireballs come off the wicks.

Here's the only decent photo I've had taken of me doing one.

Burnoff Pic

for further instruction have a look at this thread...
Naming Staff Moves III

Hope that helps...

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Delete