Forums > Help! > glowstick help!!!!!!

Login/Join to Participate

RaVePriNcesSmember
1 post

Posted:
So I've been searching the depths of the universe for any type of glowstick instructional site for two days now, ever since my friend Nathan did his glowstick dance for me and it blew my mind. I knew right then and there that I HAD to learn this amazing art. After visiting several "raver" sites I became very pissed off. All of the people were such assholes to me, laughing at me for wanting to learn it, among other rude things. Then, today I FINALLY found this site!!! It's totally what I've been looking for!!! There's just one small problem...

I really want to learn how to glowstick WITHOUT the strings. I like doing it with the strings, but I've seen people doing it without them, and now I want to learn both ways. This site doesn't have a section on how to do it without strings, so I would really appreciate it if someone could tell me a website that could help me, or if someone could just write down a few moves for me to practice.

Thanks!!!

FiveOhRavermember
28 posts

Posted:
Go to https://www.ravedigital.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard/ikonboard.cgi?s=3d38664d5092ffff&&&CODE=04

There's a special board for freehand glowsticking.

FiveOhRaver

If you have one for the road, I'll provide the chaser.

rexmember
263 posts

Posted:
some people liquid dance while holding glowsticks, and it looks good..

you could check out House of Rave's videos where you can see not only liquid dancing videos, but more glowstick swinging as well!

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Let me try to explain the basic "figure-8" move.

Begin by holding the glowsticks comfortably in your fingers. I usually have the sticks over my middle and ring fingers and under my index and pinkie fingers. But whatever you like is fine.

1) Begin with your hands back to back in front of you. This is "home" position.

2) Without twisting or turning it in any way, lift your right hand straight up and then pass it over your left hand so that your wrists are resting on each-other and your palms are facing each-other, but are offset vertically.

3) Here's the complicated part: turn both hands over and uncross them at the same time so that your hands are now palm-to-palm.

4) Now slide your right hand under your left hand so that your left wrist is resting on the right and the backs of the hands are facing each-other, although offset vertically.

5) Turn both hands over and uncross them so that you are back in the "home position." Lather, rinse, repeat.

Once you get this sequence down, you can smooth it out and start improvising. It does take a while to get it smooth. Remove any bulky rings and bracelets/watches when you are learning.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
One other thing, don't listen to people who tell you that glowsticking is "dumb" or whatever. 99% of the time, they can't do it and secretly wish they could.

Like fire spinning or anything else, it's a form of performing art that requires practice and skill.

There are performing arts that I'm not really into, but I don't go knocking these people as "dumb" or "trite" or whatever. If someone is going to knock it, then obviously their opinion isn't worth your while.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

EarthChi1dSMnewbie
4 posts

Posted:
Exactly what Doc said. smile

But in addition, go to Glowsticking.com. We are very dedicated to our art. smile There you'll find a mega resource and family of freehanders/stringers and other disciplines. Check it out. We'll be glad to have you. But that doesn't mean forget about this place. smile For whenever you do decide to pick up strings, even just messin around, knowin the basics at least will help.

clarence_quackSILVER Member
QuackerJack
1,927 posts

Posted:
6 YEAR BUMP!
Nice!

Nutella Brigade Unite!

"Look! I have a rainbow penis!" - Rouge

Owned By Steaks

BrennPLATINUM Member
Will carpal your tunnel in a minute.
3,286 posts

Posted:

Non-Https Image Link

biggrin

ॐ

Owner of burningoftheclavey smile
Owned by Lost83spy

wandershroomBRONZE Member
stranger
16 posts

Posted:
Glowsticks are Awesome

TalliseBRONZE Member
8 posts

Posted:
try www.glowsticking.com
theres alsorts of videos and people onthe forums and such smile

poinoobSILVER Member
45 posts

Posted:
hey i recomend genxglow.com i am member of there and here we are real friendly the and have a few freehanding tut's but my best advice is to stay away from glowsticking.com it always seemed like they were to upity to help ppl there. they do have good tuts there tho i watch them but as far as a helpful community i wouldn't ask them for much. i would buy some glow sticks from wal mart or target target and just get them moving free handing is more about dance than technique per se. and practice in front of a mirror and do what u think looks good. then make it preetier

HypnoticGOLD Member
44 posts

Posted:
ack! I remember those days. Glowsticking was great when I was younger. I find myself wishing I would have paid more attention to this site then. Especialy when I found out that Nick Woolsey and I started spinning at the same time. Difference I wanted to rave, he did fire to perform. The only thing I have to go on is my left over ability to glow string.
I glow stringged last night. It was so pitiful. Wraps were the only cool thing i could do. There is a bennefit to using them. You learn to be very precise. I just cant have fun with them anymore. confused Id rather go LED before sticks now