smittymember
104 posts

Posted:
does anyone have a realy awsome staff trick that takes alot of practice to work on before able to perfect?just a twirler looking for new options

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
a high throw (like 3 revolutions) and catch behind back, mid body-spin took me ages to master...

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
then again, the basic figure 8 took me a while too...everything took me ages!! I justify that with the fact that I am self taught and have no other fire friends...:-(Actually, to be honest I am pretty bored with the single staff now. The double staves has so much more to offer!!

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?

smittymember
104 posts

Posted:
i am only a backyard twirler, so i dont know the names or terms cause i teach myself. descriptions would be apreciatedi'll try the others though, i like the idea of the 3 rev's then behind the back[This message has been edited by smitty (edited 25 January 2001).]

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
ya - I teach myself too. I've never had to really think about names of moves or even describing them...so apologies if I'm not clear.I call "figure 8" that basic single handed move that has the staff coming either side of the body. I call it figure 8 because your wrist draws a sideways figure 8 in front of you whilst doing the move.Everything has been trial and error for me. there's nothing like mastering a trick all on your own!! The best thing is where mid-twirl you kinda screw-up and in doing that, come up with a whole new move. but like I said, I feel limited with the single staff. I find there's only a few axis with the single, but can get some crazy stuff going with the doubles!!

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Stating the obvious again, (I'm doing that a lot lately :) but can you do all the moves in the staff-lessons section?The new moves section had a thread on cool moves for single staff recently...Other than that...are you turning between your fingers during moves yet? that added a whole bunch more options for single staff for me...happy twirling..[Josh]

dangerboyoriginal member
205 posts

Posted:
Hmmm, limited with single staff, eh flash? There's lots to do with it. Everythime I think I've pretty much exhausted the possibilities of moves, my body shows me something new. To be sure, double staff is amazing, but i like being able to move a staff back and forth from hand to hand. With single staff for me, it's gotten to the point where I can;t get through all of my repetoire before the wicks burn out. If you really want to see some sick staff moves, go to https://192.41.49.155/movie/kilik-kata1.mpgIt's
from a one-on-one fight game. It's pretty sweet stuff, and there's lots of fire staff move that it doesn;t even touch on. It is a pretty long download, but well worth it.burn on. ------------------Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath, fire my spirit[This message has been edited by Dangerboy (edited 27 January 2001).][This message has been edited by Dangerboy (edited 27 January 2001).]

Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath, fire my spirit

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Checked out the download--I like the hold one end and wobble the other. A lot of those don't seem like they'd work to well with both ends lit though. I also like the jump and roll through the air over the staff move in the file.Reminds me of something I was trying with a friend a while ago: A one handed cartwheel with a staff in the other hand. Haven't done it lit-you would want a non flamable floor.I haven't done ANYthing in ages, but am much more into double staff, even with it's restrictions.Lynley

smittymember
104 posts

Posted:
flashfire,i have been trying to do ur throw in the air and catch behind the back, i can do it when the staff is flat, and can do it with about a 180 reveloution, but any higher, i keep hitting my arm or not even getting close, i'll try till i die, but do u have any idea, dangerboy, i am currently downloading the vid, up to 90% so i'll have to get back to u on that one, thanks 4 the tiptanks people

smittymember
104 posts

Posted:
THE VID WAS MADthanks 4 the link, seriously stuff worth trying,lynley, ive done the one handed cartwheel lit, i did it, but not to impresivlely, my advice it to do cartwheels without a stick, then a stick, the light the bugger up, and finish crouched (easyer/ quciker to get to) with a spin round the back and move it up to a palm spin and throw it up in the air from the palm. seriously recomended

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
Ya - download was great, merci beaucoup. I suppose I'm just going thru a double staff phase at the moment. Single staff has gotten me a long way winkI love to watch stuff as seen in the video, but I'm a flowy, feminine bellydancing type spinner - the warrior moves (although EXCEEDINGLY impressive) just don't fit my repertoir...figure I can add them in with my own style tho...hmmmmmmm got me thinking now!Ya, tried some fingers in the past and it certainly does broaden the scope. I guess I've been twirling the single for about 4 years now, it's only natural that I get a little tired of it! I've actually succesfully hooked up with a few people in my local area thanks to the "meet others" section and tonight we are having our first burn. No doubt these other people will offer inspiration and guidance (here's hoping!).Anyway,flash wink

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?

dangerboyoriginal member
205 posts

Posted:
I CAN"T WAIT (!) until I've been spinning for 4 years. It's been maybe 10 months with staff now, and 6 with chains. I can do some pretty sick shit, but I can only imagine the speed and fluidity after 4 years. Something to look foreward to.------------------Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath, fire my spirit

Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath, fire my spirit

smittymember
104 posts

Posted:
to tell u the truth i havent even been twirling for a month yet, its almost a month, but still no technaly. i am a newb still, so 4 years would rock![This message has been edited by smitty (edited 30 January 2001).]

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
Hey there...yeah 4 years is pretty cool, I (think!!) I've got some style and fluidity...The staff is simply an extension of my body now. It is great not having to concentrate on it so much; just letting it flow, as it allows me to incorporate other stuff like bellydancing into my act. It's hard to shimmy and twirl steadily at the same time though!!It's all about practise, practise, practise. And me for personally, I need to get a little high occasionally grin and see it all from the 'outside'. (No flamers please - I'm not trying to influence or even condone, it's just what works for me smile ) Objectivity is paramount to success in anything.last night, a group of Sydney fire lovers met. Even after 4 years, just seeing someone else pick up my staves, hold them a little different etc is 100% benificial.I can't wait to see Crawshay's video that's coming out later in the year!flash

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?

smittymember
104 posts

Posted:
hey dangerboy,ive been watching that vid heaps, and listening to music, and realised, how people twirl to music, and tried a few differnt songs, and i found a half decent one, first u need the song, time of ur life (greenday) napster is easy enough if u have it, and make sure the vid is on continous cause it plays twice, then play the song, and when he starts the second time, (u'll know when u listen to it, its with in the first 5 secs) also give time to change windows. when that starts, play the vid, and sit back and watch, cause there not related most of it mighten be perfect, but its the best song i found. just something i did, and though u might like to try, i havent seen n e one twirl to music be4 so i dont know whats good or bad, but i keep playn this song when i am trying to learn the moves.if anyone does this can they tell me what they think, if its good, or am i just skits[This message has been edited by smitty (edited 30 January 2001).]

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
I only EVER twirl to music. hand drumming is unbeatable - provides that true tribal experience. Otherwise, I twirl to anything you'd hear at a half decent club offering a rythmic and sexy beat (none of that clappy happy shit tho!). Underworld is a favourite to spin to and DJ John Kelly has some amazing "desert" tunes that have that deep, powerful outdoor sound (doof dooof dooooof) that just makes you wanna go faster and faster!!!!!!!!!You need to go to a doof party, my man. That's what it's all about smile under the stars, surrounded by nature and a smelting pot of (mostly) happy individuals, many of whom play with fire.later. flash

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?

smittymember
104 posts

Posted:
i twril in my back yard so i cant crank the music yet, i am going to soon, i am still learning so i am getting the moves down pat first be4 i put them all into a routene.i plan to get to the moon fest in bris, the first opurtunity for me to see other twirlers, and decent ones at that. i will get out thre, one day

Alexlexexmember
24 posts

Posted:
I also do my staff practice sessions in my backyard, you can just put a discman in your pocket and your set. Power metal works for me like Helloween, Iced Earth etc. but thats me, punk and trance is nice also grin23% done with the video

NY FirebatsA shirt that is soaked in fuel burns very nicely. - Not By Me

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
Bumped for internatinal HoP bump day. Because really hard tricks that take a long time and lots of practice are actually much easier 7 years later.

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

fake teeth and glueBRONZE Member
Checking who's online, watching you!
1,972 posts

Posted:
i got some mad tricks...

...hieeya!

what do you think?

you just lost the game!!!!!! !!!!!

knowledge is power, power corupts, study hard, become evil.