antimattermember
8 posts

Posted:
I have just started learning how to use double staffs, and I was wondering if anyoine has any pointers. I cut myself a pair of extra long ones....4 feet each (I am 6'4", so I have the wingspan to swing 'em). I did this because right now I am trying to focus more on good form and be more aware of the ends of the sticks. Does this seem like a good or bad idea to you? Its really tough, but I figure if its really hard at the beginning, easier becomes easier, or sumthin like that...

Back on my feetLike a freight train I'm coming

SmokyDavySILVER Member
Do my poi look too small in this?
394 posts

Posted:
I'd recommend using shorter staffs, that way it gives you more flexibility. Then practice all your single staff moves with both hands and in every direction..

Pivots are also a good thing to practice and really build strong muscles (not that I have much of that).

If you've played with poi, there's a lot of poi moves that translate straight into double staff.. So its good to practice both so you can conceptualize.

I learned everything I know off of Pyroptix.. that guy is good!! Dan, wherever you are, thanks, I'm stealing your moves even as I type.

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
I thought we'd settled this....
a stick is a stick.
Theres no right or wrong length.

You got your sticks so play with them.
If, after a bit you find them too short or two long, change it.

i like the clean form plan though

Glass

Hiya davy hows life over the pond

[ 28 June 2002, 10:43: Message edited by: glass ]

SparkfireFire coach - Cirque du Soleil
89 posts

Posted:
yo davvy, why thank you for the praise, you are too kind. in Madrid at the mo, bout to head to barcelona. just about to leave a post asking if anyone there has a floor or some trance actually can you remember where the gatherings there were? johnny knew. hope all is well back home dude. keep spinning
Hugs and Light

SmokyDavySILVER Member
Do my poi look too small in this?
394 posts

Posted:
Just so u know, I wasn't saying that long staffs are bad, just that I like short ones for doubles..

Its okay over here.. I miss London a lot though.. Toronto is boring and plain in comparison. Living with my parents isn't fun either.. Must get out before I develop more psychological issues.

Dan!!! Hope you get to find some Barcelona parties. They're supposed to be wild.

https://www.spraci.net/listings/spain/psytrance/

antimattermember
8 posts

Posted:
Hey Dave/Fieryflow! I was that tall guy at the park on Tuesday night you were showing your repertoire to. Thanks for the pointers!
I am going with the long ones right now because they are hard to handle and they are really building up my strength. But very soon now I will be going shorter just to start getting some tricks down...most tricks are impossible when you grab the middle of the stick and the end nearly comes to your armpit... :/

Back on my feetLike a freight train I'm coming