tennisBRONZE Member
confused and abused
363 posts

Posted:
I live in a haven for pretentious fire dancers
I have just starting poi and although there is a fairly large population of dancers here they are all to up themselves to share their knowledge and talent. therefore my only source of knowlege is the internet. If there are any dancers who would like to help me in any way they can i would be forever grateful.
P.S does anyone know anywhere i can order decent fire devil sticks in England.
Yours in anticipation
Tennis

My cat's breath smells like catfood

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
You have my sympathy. Luckily the poi people I know are all lovely.

Not all spinners in Cornwall are going to be up themselves, and some that come across as such you may just need to get to know and ask. Shyness and crap social skills often comes across as pretentious.

This site will take you through the basics, and after that watch other spinners for ideas, and experiment yourself. I learnt a lot watching other people spin as you don't need to be led through most moves. Often looking and thinking 'a circle here, there, and here' and going off to try it out is enough to get a move.

I think pretentious fire spinners are about to get a big, big shock. Poi is becoming increasingly popular. It's everywhere! Ladies and gentlemen, they now sell poi in Hamleys! It's fun, portable, pretty, brilliant and relatively easy to learn (compared to things like contact juggling). Soon even your mother will be spinning. So pretentious fire spinners are going to find themselves surrounded by people spinning, and some of those new spinners are going to get better than them. That's probably one of their biggest fears.

Good luck to you!

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
Hey Tennis.

I don't know if you are just starting, or if you know a few tricks already, but a good starting place are the poi lessons on this site.

Also, in the poi moves section, read through the posts. Some are basic, some are more complicated moves that people are discussing, but as you get the hang of it yourself you will understand more of what they are saying.

And just get out there and have a go. You will surprise yourself with how much you can figure out by yourself. That is how a lot of people here started.

Take care, best of luck & keep us up to date with how you are going. & please ask if you are having difficulty with a particular move

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

CarreySILVER Member
180 posts

Posted:
They sell Poi in Hamleys??

Hey Tennis, don't worry, poi makes it really easy to meet other people. SpacemonkE and I were in Dublin at the weekend and managed to bump into some fellow HoPpers, which was really cool. It's like openning a door without any effort at all. You'll find some cool people, and if not, come up to London!

C

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Yep, Hamleys! And the loverly Kat (blonde lass) is demonstrating them too!

tennisBRONZE Member
confused and abused
363 posts

Posted:
Oh my god!

You guys are amazing i never knew that there was as much of a lifestyle around the art of poi. Talk about supportive. Thanks. Just one more question. Do you think it's easier to learn the basics and dabble in the fire stuff while learning or to master a move or series of moves and then try it with fire poi.
Is it better to get used to the flames whilst learning or not?

If anyone out there is from Cornwall or just happens to be passing (ha Ha) please contact me max.rowe@connexions-cd.org.uk me

My cat's breath smells like catfood

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Poi people tend to be wicked. Like Carrey says, it's a great way of meeting people.

As to fire, my reckoning is when you're comfortable with a couple of moves and you know you're not going to wrap yourself up in flaming chains go for it! Make friends with the fire! Even if you just do the weave a few times it's excellent fun!

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
I may well be going to Cornwall in a couple of weeks, if it gets sorted in time I'd be more than happy to pass on the little I can do.

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Your paw better now Monkey?

Meh

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
It is indeed, thanks for asking

well, it's kind of better anyway, it's still a bit stiff since I wasn't able to use it for 6 months, but since the physiotherapist said that spinning my poi will help regain the flexibility, it's all go!!

Oddly enough, the first practise spin (before I'd even seen a physio) I had just after the wrist had come out of the splint was great and I could suddenly do a couple of butterfly variations that I couldn't before.
I'm putting it down to seeing what poi are capable of in the right hands at PIP in clapham, that was more or less the first time I'd had a chance to watch people spin for more than a couple of minutes.
I think I also have Kato to thank since I overheard him talking to someone about the different ways wrists can move, it made me think about what I should be able to do with the stuff I already know

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
He's a very clever little fella that Kato. Takes his shirt off a lot too.

Meh

BamBamPooh-Bah
1,810 posts

Posted:
MMmmmmm yummmyyy, will he be at PIP on Sunday??????????

A kiss blown is a kiss wasted, the only kind of kiss is a kiss tasted.

I'm a woman. We don't say what we want, but we reserve the right to be pissed off if we don't get it. That's what makes us so fascinating and not just a LITTLE bit scary.

dibs_starmember
603 posts

Posted:
hmmmmmmm.....naked torso..... *giggles in BamBam's direction*

Hi Tennis!! Welcome to HoP!!
Mwa!!
Dibs xxx

Can miles truly separate us from friends? If we want to be with someone we love aren't we already there? If there is someone willing to show, and there is someone willing to see; magic happens. This is whem humans are alive. This is when the wingless fly.

CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
Hey ... hope that is enough for you to see how actually lucky you are to live in the UK. I have met some of those crazy people from London and Sheffield and have fallen in love with all of them. They are gentle, fun, nice, lovely, shiny, silly ... just the way we like it

shine on
Cassandra

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
He's bound to be Bam. I'm not. But nay mind.

Meh