Forums > Help! > Taking photo's of Poi with Glow sticks?

Login/Join to Participate

FlyntSILVER Member
Intrepid Penguin
5,635 posts

Posted:
Hi all!
I'm fairly new to poi, (six months spinning) and not really up to spinning with flame yet. I am having great sucess with glowsticks tho! But, i could really use some tips on taking photo's.. We've used long exposures and a tripod, but they dont seem to show up at all. If anyone could give me some advice I'd appreciate it ` thanks!

Currently on the right side up of the world.

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
The only pointers I can give you (Other than trying a search on these boards) is to make sure your in a very dark place, no flash, with quite long exposure but don't over-do this as you might get over-exposed and get too much light pollution...

I've had some success with my Dad's digital camera by just turning off the flash, I left all the other settings alone. Click Here for the results.

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

crescent blazemember
7 posts

Posted:
it also helps to not have the camera pointed at any lights that may be in the background as these will show up as larger bright spots

...the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn like fabulous yellow roman candles -Kerouac

Axismember
171 posts

Posted:
you'll want 400asa film. Set aperture to about f8 and shutter to 'B' (bulb). make sure your glowstix are well bright (preferably freshly cracked and perhaps warmed in hot water too!). Expose for about 1/2 to 4 secs for best results.

Good luck!

Axis.

redragonxmember
73 posts

Posted:
what if your using a automatic camera? is there anything you can do to make sure you'll get good pics other than no flash and make the area as dark as possible? and on digital cameras, mine wont take pictures of glowsticks. all i get is a black picture.

~A Soft Rubber Bodybuilding Smurf~

WhirlyGlennmember
6 posts

Posted:
For digital camera's set the resolution and compresion to highes setting (I use 1600x1200 superfine setting on my Canon IXUS) you must be in a very dark room though with no back lighting.

Remember, a weekend wasted is never a wasted weekend.

Mr Miyagimember
13 posts

Posted:
Take the lens cap off.

*Bows (and smirks)*

Wax on...Wax off.

SpiralOolering Man
729 posts

Posted:
My best fire photo was taken last night just at dusk, on a digital camera with no flash working and a 16 second exposure. a small copy is on my gallery (the firestaff one), the original size of the file is just under a meg, so its at high detail levels and stuff.

shizN0Tmember
184 posts

Posted:
slower the film the better...
the pics I have posted were on 200 speed film.
I agree with the F8.

I smell something burning.