Forums > Help! > ball chain or wire poi!!

Login/Join to Participate

tricksenBRONZE Member
29 posts

Posted:
ball chain or wire poi,what is the difference between ?could someone please let me know!! which will be lighter?

***********************************to find your mind you have to lose it first!!

streetsmurfSILVER Member
5 posts

Posted:
not that this will help but i have been spinning fire for 5 yr's i strated with glow sticks and shoe strings but what i am saying is i have tryed it all and i love my ball chains and hate the wire it kinks and when you spin fire kinking is a bad thing lol

love live and swing with fire P.L.U.R.R

Mark PBRONZE Member
old hand
1,031 posts

Posted:
If you do any wraps then I would highly recomend getting ball chains as wraps are far easier with ball chain.

Malcolm has summed up the pros and cons fairly well.

Mark x

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
ubblove ballchain ubblove

an endless love affair for me...

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

...{SAFE}..."if i jump in the fire, will you?"
633 posts

Posted:
psssst : ball chain wink

i like breaking the Law frown , of Gravity wink !

Mags The JediGOLD Member
Fool
2,020 posts

Posted:
I started with link chain, moved to cable, and am now firmly in the ball chain camp. It rules.

"I believe the cost of life is Death and we will all pay that in full. Everything else should be a gift. We paid the cover charge of life, we were born."

Bill Hicks, February 1988

poiromaniacBRONZE Member
97 posts

Posted:
i started with cable, that felt restricting i thort. then i got chains, love them to bits. just borrowed my neighbours poi with ball chain, i dont feel any diff spinning chain versus ball chain, but the balls do look rather funky i think clap

* people who dont like cats were probably mice in an earlier life *

Lillie Frognot a stranger
558 posts

Posted:
I use cable at the mo, and really stiff cable at that, cos its some cable pinced off a motor bike (don't know what it was for, and I don't care. Not my prob)

It's good for not tangeling, but you can't wrap it at all.
Bending and fastening it to put the swivels on was a nightmare.

I'm going to get ballchain.
I think it will be better.

Eat when you're hungry
Sleep where it's dry
No one is ever what they seem
Gabriel King - The Wild Road

micoBRONZE Member
freedom in chains
176 posts

Posted:
Written by: Lillie Frog

I use cable at the mo, and really stiff cable at that, cos its some cable pinced off a motor bike (don't know what it was for, and I don't care. Not my prob)

Erm, I suspect that was the brake cable eek

I use cable for fire as I think it looks cool, I like the simplicity and it is supposed to stop me from doing certain
tricks I perhaps don't want to be doing with fire (like neck wraps), but it doesn't. I can't think of any other advantages, and ball chain is cool for changing length on the spin - you got a swivel everywhere weavesmiley Heavier though, if you like long poi.

~peace is a fire~

micoBRONZE Member
freedom in chains
176 posts

Posted:
Oh, and the HOP shop sells some pretty neat ball-chain
connectors (for putting handles on etc.) rolleyes

~peace is a fire~

micoBRONZE Member
freedom in chains
176 posts

Posted:

Shame they have to come all the way from NZ!

~peace is a fire~

Kombi guyBRONZE Member
HOP OM
225 posts

Posted:
Hey Mico, it doesnt take that long for the HOP store to deliver the items you want from NZ to your door step. Check it out.....

International Air provides delivery in approximately 9 days around the world. Except for Canada which can take 4-6 weeks (We suggest using courier for Canadian orders)

Target delivery days are for major cities and exclude weekends and public holidays.

Courier delivery is also available to some destinations, and takes 3 to 4 working days. Target delivery days are for major cities and exclude weekends and public holidays.

Delivery to other areas or where your item is dutiable or is held in customs may take a little longer.

The delivery times given are approximate and delays can sometimes occur.
weavesmiley juggle weavesmiley juggle weavesmiley juggle weavesmiley juggle weavesmiley juggle

AmanitaSILVER Member
157 posts

Posted:
Canadian orders usually come far quicker than that..It's just the holidays backing up customs:(
I've gotten orders from HOP really quickly, the only exception were my rainbows. Those took longer, but it IS the holiday backup.

As for wire leashes, after all the wire rope stuff we learned during my crane course, I would be too paranoid about those- it's chains all the way for me!

"Do not meddle in the affairs of Tower Cranes, for you are soft and would look better when squashed by a full concrete bucket"

Kombi guyBRONZE Member
HOP OM
225 posts

Posted:
We have been noticing a massive delay in getting HOP orders into Canada for a few months now and yes some people have been receiving their orders within the standard delivery times alot of other people have unfortunately been waiting upto 5 weeks or so (in Canada), hence the reason we placed in the FAQ section on the site about Canadian delivery times taking longer. Infact out of all the countries HOP deals with canada seems to always take the longest to get parcels through customs. The Christmas season always puts a strain on any postal/customs service in any country though. So hopefullly the delays for Canada will settle after Christmas.
Happy twirling weavesmiley ubbloco weavesmiley